Doctors Notes

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

Lolalou
GRAMMY Award

Doctors Notes

Post by Lolalou »

So, went to our usually efficient doctors with ds this morning expecting a quick medical and sign off for DS who requires a medical note for his agency for performance purposes. Was shocked by the utter contempt emanating in waves off the doctor who seemed to feel signing off a performance medical note akin to selling my child to slave traffickers. He 'wasn't sure whether he could grant it'. It was 'non urgent' He was unsure 'why the agency had not personally got in touch?'
I was made to feel I was wasting surgery time. Furious - unlike the 'regulars' in the waiting room who were greeting each other and the receptionist on first name terms think the last time I visited the surgery was just after I gave birth 8 years ago! ](*,)
He refused to examine my child and asked me to make another appointment next week so they could look into it.
The way the doctor was talking he seemed to think a full medical was in order. Surely this isn't the case? When our theatre school supplied child extras for a film a couple of months back - all the doctors notes were perfunctory 'Yes in good health' one liners... on headed notepaper.
Does anyone have any experience of this and what do I do if my doctor refuses?
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Doctors Notes

Post by pg »

Maybe ask to see the practice manager to ask the best way to deal with this from the surgery's point of view? I can imagine why it left you reeling.
The trouble is, the system for licences is so full of holes, it could all do with an overhaul in my opinion. Not that that helps you.
frisbee
GRAMMY Award

Post by frisbee »

I don't know if rules are different where you are, we were told recently, by our licence issuer, that kids no longer need to be examined by the Doctor which should make life a lot easier for them. May be worth checking. Having said that it sounds that it won't change your doctors attitude.
D
Jeanie
GRAMMY Award

Post by Jeanie »

I can see the doctor's point of view. It's not a medical emergency however ... and it's a big HOWEVER, they do charge for this service and so in my opinion, should be more gracious about it.

I expected my doctor to turn a letter around in a day and was told he couldn't as the practice secretary had medical letters to write. When I explained that my DD needed to get her licence sorted as soon as possible and pleaded etc he agreed to change the date on the old letter and counter-sign.

I agree, there really should be some clear guidelines. Also, production companies should give more time to get licences in place.
Lolalou
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lolalou »

Yes - any idea why production companies always seem to leave it to the last minute?
lilacspanishsun
BRIT Award

Post by lilacspanishsun »

They are a pain - but they do last 6 months. So I just contact my GP a week before they run out and ask for a new one.
We did have a rush situation last month and doctor only did my DS one and not DD - then she got a short film to do and we needed licence. They got a bit funny but I was insistant that all they needed to do was reprint the letter that they do every 6 months anyway ( with the same spelling mistakes and same wrong age as they havent changed it from saying ...this 7 year old female ( but now shes 8 and nearly 9) with a new date and give it to the doctor to sign and I would be pay with £20 when I picked it up. They got it ready the next day.

Our LEa - SUrrey hold the letter on file for the 6 months and I just send in the new one whether or not there is a job in sight as the rush thing is too stressful.