Rugby safety

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Rugby safety

Post by JTBmum »

Hi, wierd question but does anyone have any opinions on safety of Rugby? Ds currently badgering me to let him go on school Rugby trip. I want him to give up as I'm worried he could damage his looks or get concussion etc. I read somewhere of an actor giving up so he didn't spoil his face. #-o
paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: Rugby safety

Post by paulears »

It's a contact sport, so sure - there will be a few black eyes, cuts, bruises and even maybe a broken leg. It's nearly as bad in football. Hockey have a few issues with teeth - so many hockey and rugby people wear gum shields and helmets. I'm actually not even certain that having a lived in face is a barrier to being an actor. It would no doubt add to the type casting - with a broken nose he'd be less likely to be the lead love interest, but doors open to being the bad guys, the heavies, the soldiers, and nastier types. Indeed, look at the current popular TV programmes on illegal traders, dodgy builder etc - not the prettiest of people.

If the school can get the insurance they need to do it, they'll have safety equipment and the instructors will be on the ball.

At some time he's going to want to go paint balling, parachuting, off-road driving or even having a motor bike - if he is young now, his acting desire may easily fade away anyway - so stopping him doing exciting things now seems a bit counter productive. My son was about to go into touring Shakespeare, yet was playing three or four tough football games each week - immediately before. That's what they do.

I't a difficult call!
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

Thanks Paulears, however he doesn't tend to be put up for tough guy parts. It's hard as he's 17 and has his own mind. I've already forbidden him from going near a motorbike! Have to bribe him with something else. I wouldn't mind about football - its just the contact nature of Rugby.
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

My son's 18 and has been playing rugby since he was 11, and not only did he play for the school first team, he's also played for the county and a club team (where I understand dirty tactics are much more common!!)

He has [touch wood] never had any kind of accident, and he's on the front row of the scrum, so comes up against some BIG players! Over the last 7 years, I've watched as many matches as possible and in that time, I've seen a couple of dislocated shoulders, a broken wrist and the air ambulance has been called twice for potential head trauma.

I know the helicopter thing sounds dramatic, but neither boy actually got taken to hospital in it - they send it as a HUGE precaution in the case of boys being momentarily unconscious (and is probably a requirement of very stringent school insurance). There are always medics on site, and when I say I've seen the above injuries, they're from not just my son's matches but the other school year matches that are going on at the same time.

No facial injuries, apart from one wobbly front tooth (from a boy who should have been wearing a mouthguard but wasn't, in clear contravention of the rules) so although safety isn't guaranteed, within the school setting I wouldn't have any major concerns. It's an incredibly disciplined game when refereed properly.

I feel exactly the same as you about motorbikes - mine are entirely banned from them (and eldest DS is nearly 20!!) which they respect luckily, but I don't think rugby should be classed in anything like the same vein. It's a wonderful team sport
jojo_b
BRIT Award

Post by jojo_b »

All my dc's play rugby at mini level. Dd2 is the only girl in a squad of 70 boys her age, she loves it and it's full contact. We are very lucky that we also have a girls section for my dds to move on to.

She went on a course last year and the coaches thought it was hilarious that she was spending one week playing rugby and the next week was a dance summer school!!
GEORGIEROSE
GRAMMY Award

Post by GEORGIEROSE »

My dad was a pe teacher he used to say far more injuries in football than there was in rugby :D
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

My dad was a pe teacher he used to say far more injuries in football than there was in rugby
There's a lot less time spent during a rugby match with players rolling around on the ground due to "injuries" as well!! ;)
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Well, I live in Rugby. I once broke my nose falling flat on my face outside ASDA but I guess that could happen in any town. :lol:

In my opinion, if your DS wants to play, let him play. What will be will be. Injuries happen - my heart is in my mouth every time I watch Pandora get on a pony and canter away, but that doesnt mean she shouldn't do it. So far, my 'moment' outside Asda has been much worse than any pony-related incidents. And thank heavens for the NHS! :lol:

We want to wrap them in cotton wool and are scared to let the sun shine on them. But the real test of a parent is in letting go. And I guarantee you will be as proud of your DS's first Rugby medal as you are of his first casting.

Deb x