Blood Red Road

A place where you can review Books.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Blood Red Road

Post by Hecouldshine »

For anyone who loved Hunger Games - try the latest Costa children’s book award winning Blood Red Road by Moira Young. This is a “stay up all night to finish it” book (once you get past the first couple of chapters). I’m not going to review it - but I thought I would post about the author.

She was writing stories at 9 but then is said to have been bitten by the theatre bug (was she a child performer?) – but she did a history degree in Canada, then came to the UK and worked on the alternative comedy circuit to gain her equity card. She made it into the tap dancing chorus line of a West End production of High Society. She retrained as an opera singer and toured in an opera company. And it was after breaking both wrists in a fall that she turned to writing, doing a ‘writing for children’ course. This is her debut novel.

Blood Red Road has recently been optioned for film by Ridley Scott’s production company, Scott Free UK, and is currently being adapted by award-winning playwright and screenwriter, Jack Thorne.
http://www5.scholastic.co.uk/zone/autho ... g_biog.htm

In an interview Mora Young is asked
The film rights for the book have already been optioned. Who would be your dream cast for the movie?
I don't have one. I'd like to see young, as yet undiscovered actors take the lead roles. They'll need to be lion hearts, bold and strong and fearless. For the rest, there are so many wonderful character actors of all nationalities that any casting agent would be spoiled for choice.
http://www.childrenslit.com/childrensli ... _moira.php

I loved the book. Do look out for it. I hope the film does it justice.
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Re: Blood Red Road

Post by riverdancefan »

oooh DS loves reading ....this will be a must for him..... :D :D
thanks for sharing

RDF
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Re: Blood Red Road

Post by Hecouldshine »

RDF (that makes life easier - like HCS for me!) just to warn you that the main protagonist is a girl and there are a bunch of amazonian girl types in this as well so it might appeal more to girls. My ds still won't read Hunger Games but I've told him he's not coming to the film with me unless he's read it first :roll:
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical