Getting the part

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Getting the part

Post by JTBmum »

Hi, I was reading an interview with a casting director in a magazine yesterday. He was talking about casting for films and how they usually have a list of about 4 A list actors for each part, and then take it from there. If the principle is the same for other roles, in lesser known productions and tv etc - that producers will generally prefer more well known actors, how do you make the leap if you are not well known, and get a part?
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Re: Getting the part

Post by bruno2 »

It doesnt seem right does it ? All those kids out there with fantastic talents and yet not a chance. I think this is the case in not only films but much smaller roles. :( Unfortunately the kids not only have to have the talent but lots of luck too !
wissymo
GRAMMY Award

Post by wissymo »

i agree,there is a massive element of luck in this industry...but then i suppose every well know actor has been
unknown at some point and got lucky!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I think it's particularly difficult at the moment. Work is thin on the ground and reasonably well-established actors are seeking and accepting really very minor roles; this means that new actors are squeezed out. Casting Directors do see new people though and sometimes they get cast. There's no easy answer that's for sure. Getting a really good agent does help with getting the auditions but of course getting the really good agent isn't easy either.

I agree with wissymo about luck - and also that everyone was unknown once. No-one starts out as an A list actor.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

pg wrote:I think it's particularly difficult at the moment. Work is thin on the ground and reasonably well-established actors are seeking and accepting really very minor roles; this means that new actors are squeezed out. Casting Directors do see new people though and sometimes they get cast. There's no easy answer that's for sure. Getting a really good agent does help with getting the auditions but of course getting the really good agent isn't easy either.

I agree with wissymo about luck - and also that everyone was unknown once. No-one starts out as an A list actor.
Do you think it will follow that those who want to enter the profesion without training will also find it harder in the future? As at least with training you will get seen by a number of agents (though getting one is another matter!)
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I think (and it is just an opinion!) that it a general sense it will become harder for those without training, because it is one more filter of aptitude/talent that someone else has imposed. Agents do tend to go to drama school shows and showcases, perhaps more than they go to Fringe theatre for example. However I am certain that there will always be exceptions and exceptional people who make their way without training - certainly without formal training.

My concern is that it will be come harder and harder to earn any money as a performer with all of the undercutting/working for nothing that goes on. If people are willing to work for nothing or for much less than the Equity minimum, then wages will continue to be depressed and fledgling companies who are trying to pay people properly will fail because they are not competing on a level playing field.