Be on the Stage, at a price ! reviews

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

Coffee
Nominee

Be on the Stage, at a price ! reviews

Post by Coffee »

\:D/
Last edited by Coffee on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glittermum
Nominee

Re: Be on the Stage, at a price ! reviews

Post by glittermum »

Sounds like a bit of a swizz to me Coffee. My dd was in panto last year and it was quite involved. She had 21 performances and the dance routines and acting was quite involved. She also got paid per performance (not a lot!!) and the company supplied the dance shoes/ballet shoes and costuming. :shock:
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

That was the same for Ds last year. He got paid a certain amount and was in about 40 performances. There are some similar workshops near to us but haven't ever bothered as it feels like you are paying for your child to appear in only a couple of performances!
Coffee
Nominee

Post by Coffee »

Last edited by Coffee on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coffee
Nominee

Post by Coffee »

Last edited by Coffee on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Do a workshop, get on stage. To be fair, if they just want to experience what being on stage is like, it's fine, but it's very different from being in the babes - as part of a pantomime proper, usually via the local dance school. They get to say hello to a few cast members before beings scooted away. A few panto companies do this - but only the kids can say if the experience is worth the £35 . Personally, I think it's just a good way to make a few extra quid to offset production costs.
glittermum
Nominee

Post by glittermum »

It will definately give your dd a taste of whats to come! If this is your dd's first ever experience of being on the stage then I guess it will be great for that. Just a concern that the production company is viewing it as a money making exercise - one in - one out and your dd wont get the experience of feeling part of the cast. Good luck for your dd - hope she really enjoys herself, I'm sure your dd will be bitten by by it afterwards ! ;)
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

It's probably worth remembering that the actors I've told about this have all viewed it as a bad thing. Some from the viewpoint of what people here have said, others have expressed that they think it devalues the industry by making the production creative elements of a show a 'thing with a price'? One actually said that she would not be in a production where this happened because she thought it unfair on the kids - they'd not be able to become a member of a team, and this is the critical thing, she thought - working effectively with others, not being treated as a commodity!
Coffee
Nominee

Post by Coffee »

:D
Last edited by Coffee on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glittermum
Nominee

Post by glittermum »

Glad to hear it was a great experience for her Coffee .. looks like your'e going to be very busy from now on :D :D :D