Unusual Names

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Unusual Names

Post by Irishdancer »

I was just wondering if every one thinks if it helps to have a unusual name when it comes to getting parts in films? Looking through film credits the children who have unusail names seems to do very well like Asa Butterfield, Dakota Fleming, Eros Vlahos got a feeling if u have an unusal name the cd remembers u of course u have to be a good actor but an unusual name will stick in there minds rather than John Smith.
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Unusual Names

Post by pg »

I suppose an unusual name might stick in someone's mind, but I wonder whether it just that there are more American names that seem unusual to us? Perhaps lots and lots of the unsuccessful actors have unusual names too?

...Will Smith hasn't done so badly ;)
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

Maybe it's just me but I find such names a bit pretentious! Mind you that's not saying they don't give you a leg up but I wouldn't do it and nor would my dd let me!
meadow3
BRIT Award

Post by meadow3 »

Hi, I think children's names are important in " Life" but not so in castings, having said that I think some children's names on TV are very catchy and you do remember them, Like Asa and Eros who are very good friends of mine have great names, but Eros is because his Dad is Greek and Asa is because they liked the name. My DH wanted to call our Middle DS " River" at the time I thought he was mad, but now I love it, but not enough to have another baby!!

When we had our first DS and named him, nearly everyone said " wow that is a real stage name!"

Personally I think casting directors remember the kids not the names.

Bizzyxxxx
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

I know that a couple of drama schools told my DD she had a good, memorable name at her auditions (its double barrelled, but other than that not that unusual)
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Art
BRIT Award

Post by Art »

I think an unusual name can be an advantage. Was in spotlight in Leicester square yesterday and asked for a copy of dd's cv....she was the only child in there with her name which was a nice suprise as it isn't particularly unusual :D
Holland Park
BRIT Award

Post by Holland Park »

Unusual names aren't always good, no matter how memorable - mine is unusual but because most people can't pronounce it, it counts against me to the point where I considered (for a long time) going by a much more 'normal' stage name.

My two cents as a guy on the casting side though? I don't care about your name. You can have the greatest name in the world - "Zebedee St. Dinosaur" or something - and it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to me if you can't act. That is, and always will be, the most important thing. The fact that so many great actors have memorable names is just a coincidence.
Hannahtaylour
BRIT Award

Post by Hannahtaylour »

EVERYONE is gossip girl has weird or names that sound like a lawer...

leighton meester
penn badgley
chase crawford
Michelle Trachtenberg
Sebastian Stan

i tihnk its nice to have a "pretend name" or stage name when being an actor as its like your cody mushroom when walking down the red carpet and being interview and then at home to your family your megan..

plus it has something glamourous about it such as marilin monroe..that wasnt her real name!!
Holland Park
BRIT Award

Post by Holland Park »

The thing is, Chace Crawford doesn't have that unusual a name. I mean, he spells 'Chase' wrong, but Crawford's a fairly common name, and so is 'Chase' in the US.

I mean, if they weren't famous, the names Brad Pitt, Will Smith or Elizabeth Taylor wouldn't raise an eyebrow.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Holland Park wrote:The thing is, Chace Crawford doesn't have that unusual a name. I mean, he spells 'Chase' wrong, but Crawford's a fairly common name, and so is 'Chase' in the US.

I mean, if they weren't famous, the names Brad Pitt, Will Smith or Elizabeth Taylor wouldn't raise an eyebrow.
However, Sigourney, Demi, Clint, Shia certainly would.................................
Holland Park
BRIT Award

Post by Holland Park »

I'm not sure 'Demi' or 'Clint' would, to be honest. Both are pretty common over there. Not so much here, but they are in the US. And Sigourney is an old Irish name; I have a couple of Sigourneys in my ancestry. I mean, it's not common, I agree, but at least it's not 'celebrity naming' - like these damned parents who call their kids 'Chardonnay' or something.

I believe Shia is a pretty common Jewish name, too.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Sorry didn't think we were just discussing USA :roll:
Holland Park
BRIT Award

Post by Holland Park »

Welsh Mum wrote:Sorry didn't think we were just discussing USA :roll:
I think you're misunderstanding my point. Yes, a Clint or Demi here would raise an eyebrow or two. But then again, a name that seems fairly normal in Wales, like Rhodri or Daffyd or something would seem really odd in LA. You don't get many Petras in Huddersfield, but you'll find hundreds in Warsaw.
Donnaadele
Nominee

Post by Donnaadele »

just think how many celebs have changed their name to a "stadge" name Reg dwight aka Elton John, Cliff richard, and many more but cant think off hand!
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Norma Jean AKA Marilyn Monroe.

Archie Leach AKA Cary Grant.

Doersn't seem to happen so much these days though.