Stagecoach??

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

fabmum
BRIT Award

Stagecoach??

Post by fabmum »

Hi
Does anyone have any views on whether Stagecoach are worth using? I understand they are a franchise and I'm concerned that this means that though the costs may be equitable across the various schools, the level of teaching won't be. I don't want to pay out needlessly. I did ask if I could see a copy of an insepction report for my local one but was told no...I find that worrying in itself! 8-[
GypsyMumNot!
GRAMMY Award

Re: Stagecoach??

Post by GypsyMumNot! »

Many different views on these people - think it depends on where you are.
Personally I wouldn't touch em with a barge pole......but this will no doubt set off a huge debate cos it has done before on this forum.... \:D/
I would try and get word of mouth opinions on the actual franchise you are considering and/or go and see a show - its the only way you're gonna know for sure.....
And all that jazz...!
orange_squash
BRIT Award

Post by orange_squash »

I think it very much depends on where you are, as there are different teachers at different franchises. I know a few people who have been very successful due to Stagecoach and i also know of a few who wouldnt go near it if you paid them!! Maybe you could call into your nearest franchise during a class and see what you think?
doris
GRAMMY Award

Post by doris »

We had a less-than-worthwhile experience with one school and tried to avoid Stagecoach after that and tried several alternatives (ie non Stagecoach performing arts tuition), but in the last couple of years both dds have had a good time at a different Stagecoach school, having joined them due to knowing one of the teachers.

I would never say never because every set of teachers is different and every child is different. If you have a choice, it's definitely worth shopping around and going for trial lessons at different Stagecoaches and different non-Stagecoach. Also whether you really want all 3 disciplines or just 1 or 2 for your child(ren).

I do think it is expensive for what it is though. And I don't like that you have to pay half a term's fees in lieu of cancelling.
Plus black clothing and dance shoes can be found much cheaper elsewhere - don't buy the Stagecoach offerings!

Not sure what you mean by an inspection report fabmum - do you mean ofsted?
GEORGIEROSE
GRAMMY Award

Post by GEORGIEROSE »

another view... :D dd had a wonderful experience with stagecoach,made her truly confident,it was very very well run and the standard of teaching was fabulous,money well spent in my view.
mathsmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by mathsmum »

it also depends what you want in terms of syllabus - stagecoach teaches what it teaches - if you want more traditional drama teaching with lamda exams for example, or ballet training - correct me if i'm wrong, gr, but i don't think stagecoach is the place
Life is complex - some of it is real, some of it is imaginary.
GEORGIEROSE
GRAMMY Award

Post by GEORGIEROSE »

I think they do Lamda now but don't do exams in ballet etc,used to be jazz dance lessons-as you say depends what you want to focus on,it gave my dd great all round performance skills and great social skills,not sure if she would have been like this anyway,but definately helped her on the way. :D maybe we were just lucky with that school,very professional indeed.
mumofsons
Nominee

Post by mumofsons »

My DS attended Stagecoach for a few terms and in my opinion it was far too costly for what you got
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

My dd went to the junior stagecoach when she was 4. In my opinion it was a waste of money. The 'drama' consisted of them 'improvising' in groups - all doing exactly the same, and crawling round on the floor giggling. At the end of term presentation that was all they did. The dance routines were exactly the same two terms running, and the singing was no better than what she did at school. The drama group she went to from the age of 7 cost less than half the Stagecoach fees and did real productions, not 'presentations'. However, my better off friend sends her daughter to the senior Stagecoach in another area, and she loves it, so I think it depends on the staff in each particular franchise.
GEORGIEROSE
GRAMMY Award

Post by GEORGIEROSE »

Think we are right iglooebabe depends on teachers that's the same anywhere really,it is expensive but I would say on a par with lots of groups etc.lots of money but when we went through difficult patch hubby was ill dd was given a scholarship so I have never forgotten how kind they were,and lots of groups I know wouldn't have been I can tell you-
Why not ask for a trial couple of weeks,see if it suits your child,may do or may not be their cup of tea,everything is worth a try before you commit. ;)
Fruitcake
GRAMMY Award

Post by Fruitcake »

Have had a tiny bit of an 'inside' insight into Stagecoach and I think everyone is right when they say you should take each individual franchise on its own merit as they can vary greatly. Definitely go along and watch a few classes etc, fabmum, and get a feel for whether it's right for your DD/DS.

As has also already been said, perhaps it might be worth also investigating some alternative non-Stagecoach classes to compare.

Good luck.
Don't count your chickens until the contract's in your hand!
fabmum
BRIT Award

Post by fabmum »

Thanks folks,
I had a chat last night with the parents of one boy who goes to our local franchise. He is pulling out as are several others as the principal has been away since December and drama has stopped altogether. Seems very expensive for what it is here and there certainly seems to be a massive discrepany between franchises, it obviously works really well in some places.

My DS is already a member of the Youth Theatre here and has private drama tuition for his LAMDA and drama festival entries, so having spoken to the other parents, I don't think he'd gain anything extra at Stagecoach. I think I'll leave it. We only pay about £80 per term for both things and they have been very succesful. :)

Doris, I checked on Stagecoach's website and it states they are checked annually by a private inspection company. The reason I asked to see a copy was that I noticed many franchises quoted from the reports but the local one didn't. :-k I guess I know why now!
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

My dd and ds were with Stagecoach for nearly 5 years and our franchise was excellent. Both of the kids had many exciting opportunites with them., Disappointing to hear that they are not all the same.
It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Post by It's Showtime »

My DS at a local drama club with 3 discliplines (drama,singing,acting) for 3 hrs every sat - no exams but at least 1 big show at local theatre once a yr. We were given a free workshop day + a family ticket to see the 'once a yr ' show. The principle is a professional actor who is in active work & is there most saturdays as he takes the drama workshop. When hes on tour, he uses the same drama coach & we know in advance. Worth looking around. You may find that the teachers have worked in several of the local groups at some stage. We have been lucky; all the teachers are passionate about what they do & the group is not about who is the best. Its about gaining confidence & making friends. The other thing I like is everyone gets a chance to be in the front at the shows, if they wish, no matter what the ability. The fees are also half the franchise fees + no expensive costumes, just the schools t-shirt if you like. I certainly wouldn't pay a terms fees up front without seeing what they do, how it would benefit your child & perhaps talking to other parents? Good luck with your research. :D
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**
GEORGIEROSE
GRAMMY Award

Post by GEORGIEROSE »

stagecoach in my view wasn't about who was best,it was about building social skills,confidence,and at the same time,great excercise,fun,and learning performance skills as an all rounder.they did shows termly and a big show annually where children from all regions come together.
Lots of other opportunities to be in other productions touring the area,perhaps dd was just lucky,and she liked the structure of stagecoach.
They don't do graded exams etc,but that wasn't an issue for us in the least.Trial,is best way of seeing what is right for your child.
dd tried Italia conti when she felt she outgrew stagecoach,was short lived as unprofessional teaching by students who spent most of their time talking about the night out :D but that's another story ;)
Last edited by GEORGIEROSE on Mon May 31, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.