Spotlight?

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Spotlight?

Post by igloobabe »

I recently received Spotlight's brochure and application form just to see what they seem to be about. As far as I can tell, you don't have to provide much or any evidence to show that you have talent in a particular area or areas. There is an £88 joining fee. The photo shoot (optional) is more money still.
Why do all the CDs seem to use this as their 'bible' ? As far as I can see, all it shows is that you a) go to a stage school or b) have an agent. I have scoured youtube and found several videos by kids on Spotlight and some were,frankly, nothing special!

I can't see the difference (in terms of what a CD would want to see) between Spotlight and StarNow, apart from a £58 price gap!

Can any of you enlighten me as to what I would actually be paying for?
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Spotlight?

Post by pg »

I think the awkward truth is that Spotlight have things sewn up! CDs use Spotlight because it is really, really easy for them. They can send out casting briefs to a list of preferred agencies or all agents or all subscribers and then the agents submit clients via the "spotlight link".

Spotlight enables CDs to search for particular looks or skills and allows them to view photos and showreels at the touch of a button. They can shortlist potential candidates and get back to agents really easily to request certain actors for auditions.
Also, crucially, unlike Starnow, Spotlight does have the filter of only accepting applicants who either have an agent or stage school experience. (For adults, it's either accredited training or demonstrable professional experience). This means that someone else has already made some kind of a judgement about the actor's employability (if not their actual ability!). Spotlight is considered to be the directory for professionals, whereas Starnow does accept everyone (even though they may have many talented individuals signed up). Thus, only considering those with Spotlight entry may be a bit of a blunt instrument but it will cut down a little on the numbers a CD has to consider.

For an adult actor, if you're not in Spotlight, you're invisible as far as CDs (for paid professional work) are concerned...
geordiegirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by geordiegirl »

Yep its true. Spotlight costs.....BUT unlike other agencies that also charge, your CV and posted details really do get seen and noted by top casting directors and industry professionals. Spolight is often the one and only place these people will look.
harry2
GRAMMY Award

Post by harry2 »

Most agents say its compulsery to have it bo be represented by them dont they?
its well worth it though its called 'the bible' isnt it!
ceri
BRIT Award

Post by ceri »

Do you have to have an agent to join?
fabmum
BRIT Award

Post by fabmum »

ceri wrote:Do you have to have an agent to join?
I think you do if you are under 16. I don't know about over 16.
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

I may be wrong but I think the £88 is for two years (I'm sure that's what my DD's agent told us). Another think to bear in mind is that you can update your own spotlight page as you will get an 'update pin' so you can keep it right up to date, I go on every coulple of weeks, you can also change photographs. Sometimes agents who have their own web page either charge you to add information (as ours does to change or add photos) or take for ever to update your profile when you have sent them information (Ive sent the updated info to DDs agent twice and it still isnt on her site!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Adult actors don't need an agent to be in Spotlight but they do need to have trained on an accredited course or to have had suitable professional experience (paid, speaking roles). As far as I know, Spotlight looks at each application individually to assess what they regard as suitable professional experience.
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

francescasmum wrote:I may be wrong but I think the £88 is for two years (I'm sure that's what my DD's agent told us). Another think to bear in mind is that you can update your own spotlight page as you will get an 'update pin' so you can keep it right up to date, I go on every coulple of weeks, you can also change photographs. Sometimes agents who have their own web page either charge you to add information (as ours does to change or add photos) or take for ever to update your profile when you have sent them information (Ive sent the updated info to DDs agent twice and it still isnt on her site!
I think that amount is just for 1 year - unfortunately! It is the amount we pay per child each year. Our agent doesn't charge to update, but I def agree that it is good to have the update pin as it is often much quicker to keep it updated yourself :)
aliceinwonderinc
GRAMMY Award

Post by aliceinwonderinc »

My agent said that it was compulsory for me to join, and that she wouldn't put me up for any catsings until I was in the book and on the website. I think that basically, being on Spotlight shows that you are 'professional' in the eyes of casting directors. My agent said that most CD's are not interested in young actors (don't know what it's like for adults but it's probably similar?) unless they are in Spotlight, because it does not seem as if they are serious otherwise.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Yep. Unfortunately for our pockets, if you're not in Spotlight you're invisible!
tikka
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikka »

ceri wrote:Do you have to have an agent to join?
You didn't have to have an agent when I phoned them to ask a couple of years ago....but they also said that joining is going to be more useful if you do have an agent as you probably wouldn't get much use out of your membership without an agent....agents use them to send your details off for jobs, not sure how often you'd have any use for a Spotlight link without access to the casting directors...which you only get if you have an agent. Sorry, didn't mean to make that sound so complicated #-o