Fit to work certificates-advice please....

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Fit to work certificates-advice please....

Post by It's Showtime »

Fit to work certificates - I recently had to renew my DS doctors letter to advise he is 'fit to work'. I understand that they are valid for 6 months.
The 1st time, it cost me £10.00 for a one-liner. "DS is fit & healthy to work". (The invoice attached had more wording of it!!!)
When I went to renew it, I attached a note to say, could they just counter-sign it for quickness? (another NAPM had advised me that her GP does this & does not charge) I thought it was worth a go, but did not hold up much hope.

This time it cost me £20 A 100% INCREASE!!!! I am going to challenge this to ask the surgery to justify a 100% increase in a service.
I'm guessing they will say it takes 10 minutes to do this & the hourly rate ie XXX. However, I do feel for a minor (under 16yrs), should not be charged the same as an adult. This letter would suffice for say a paper round also & the DS/DDs don't earn that much...

What do other NAPMs/NAPD's think? any other experience/advice. It appears GPS can charge what they like-they are only 'guidelines' for maximum charges & these cannot be enforced.

Gosh I feel better now, getting that off my chest - thanks!!!!!.....
Last edited by It's Showtime on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**
dannieboo-007
BRIT Award

Re: Fit to work certificates-advice please....

Post by dannieboo-007 »

When DS has his done at school, it costs £15; however, when our GP does it , it costs between £40-£75 , depending on which doctor we see. Usually it takes 5 mins max, but because it is classed as a private medical appointment, they don't seem to know how much to charge me! one of the receptionists once wanted to charge me £140 - the same as for an hour's insurance medical. Now, if it costs less than £50 I think myself lucky. :D
Be happy.
It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Post by It's Showtime »

Thanks Danni-Boo! That makes me feels much better!....!!
Guess if it's for a guaranteed work, then at least you know you can offset the cost, but if it's a 'what if', then if no work comes, you just absorb the cost?
Can I just add that for both the 'fit for work letters', we have not had a GP appointment, it's simply a letter of request, no examination required. So we are not taking an appoinment, simply the admin time for a letter; ususally after the morning appointment, when the GP writes all their referrals etc...
Never been asked to go in for an appointment - does that change anyones opinion?
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**
threecees
BRIT Award

Post by threecees »

Last edited by threecees on Wed May 02, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
elena
BRIT Award

Post by elena »

Mine cost £18 X 3 (for 3 kids) and we don`t have to see the doctor but must request letter a week in advance. Stupid!!! Have to say that my DD didn`t have any jobs for past 6 month though I sill make medical document ready in case short licence issue jumps aboard! I think these GP practices are privately run so each and everyone can charge you that they feel like! ](*,)
I am native Russian.

"An ounce of luck is better than a pound of wisdom." italian proverb
It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Post by It's Showtime »

Thanks Girlies - I think I may do the 'ask for a callback from GP' next time. I went in into the surgery & was advised to write-in. This is interesting isn't it, the different in amounts? As a sIdenote, my DH was offered a recent job (nothing to do with acting! I hasten to add!) & it required a medical. My DH is fit & well & not been to a GP in months. He was advised it would be a 'listen to his chest' & 'blood pressure', would take 10 minutes & the cost would be £90! As this was for temp work, the cost outweighed the job value, so he had to turn this down. :x
I digress; oh! by the way, loving the 'not talking icon' threecees!! [-(
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**
topaz
BRIT Award

Post by topaz »

How interesting to hear all the differing amounts! In the past we have never had to pay for a doctor's note, just a piece of paper saying that according to records DD is fit to perform etc. On Friday I went to collect as usual and was told that as it was a "private" note I needed to pay £14.50. A lot less than some of you but still a surprise to me nonetheless. :?
ziggy
BRIT Award

Post by ziggy »

Are these private doctors or NHS??
It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Post by It's Showtime »

Our NHS GP - (its the NHS GP who holds your medical records/history)
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Are doctor costs £35 usaly phone up and ask or go in usaly get the letter with in 2 days. Lickly have always had work so well worth £35 every 6 months
miacat
Nominee

Post by miacat »

At first my G.P refused to give me a letter of good health, was worried if they took ill on set that he would get sued!! and gave me a big long lecture about his Insurances ect !! In the end he did sign a form that our LEA have on their website for children in entertainment, but charged me £30 a child, of which I have 3 so £90 every six months!!
TOOTSWEETS
Nominee

Post by TOOTSWEETS »

OUR SITUATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THREECEES! GP USED TO CHARGE ABOUT 15 POUNDS WITHOUT SEEING MY DD BUT RECENTLY HASN'T CHARGED - JUST PHONED ME TO FIND OUT EXACTLY WHAT IS NEEDED. HE JUST SEEMS GENUINELY INTERESTED IN WHAT DD IS UP TO!!! IT REALLY DOES VARY BETWEEN PRACTICES!!! AS YOU SAY THREECEES GETING A LETTER FROM THE HEADMASTER IN SCHOOL IS A VERY DIFFERENT STORY FOR US TOO! I HATE REQUESTING ONE!!! :o
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Ds head is great no trouble getting letter signed I have a form ready with all the details on all head has to do is sign it much easer than having to get school to type the letter most times I go up to school early in the morning and catch the head and she signs it there and then
Pearl
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pearl »

We've never had to pay for doctors letter and as already said he is usually quite excited about what dd is doing. :D
Bring it on!!!
dannieboo-007
BRIT Award

Post by dannieboo-007 »

Ziggy - that's with NHS GP; when we've needed one at short notice (GP needs about 2 weeks notice!) we've gone private, which is £75 :shock:
Be happy.