Think You Know?

A collection of Links to other useful and relevant sites on the net

Moderator: busybusybusy

Pebbles
Nominee

Think You Know?

Post by Pebbles »

Hi all, just heard that my Tom has got the main part in a new safety video that will be going round the schools (hopefully) warning kids about the dangers involved with all the internet chats that they come across...MSN, online games, etc, etc.

the script i just got sent has a REALLY useful link where ANYONE can go for advice, or to report someone who has abused either them, a friend, or has clearly been pretending to be a child when they are not...

...Given stories in the press recently where kids were asked to strip for a perv's camera, then blackmailed into repeating the act..I thought it would be good to put the link on here. (especially as we also need to be so aware of people not being who they say they are offering our kids 'parts' or modelling contracts etc, etc....)

WWW.THINKUKNOW.COM
Our children are all stars...and every star has the right to sparkle...
x_clare_x

Post by x_clare_x »

Awwwww! Well Done to Tom! I remember watching videos like that, when i was at school! How old is Tom? x
cinders
Nominee

Post by cinders »

That's good news =D> =D> . Well done to Tom.
If you don't go - you'll never know!
shanelle2
Nominee

Post by shanelle2 »

Well done Tom! =D>

And thanks for the link, very useful x
Emma, mum to 4 girls.
busybusybusy

Post by busybusybusy »

Well done Tom, and for anyone whose kids' lifelife is MSN ( like my lot) it's a good idea to get them to save the chat history just in case anything dodgy comes up. You never know these days when you might need it for evidence sadly. :(
Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A very timely warning here as I recently heard from a concerned mother whose 13 year old daughter had been propositioned, and encouraged by the messenger to join his/her 'Modelling agency'..this worrying message was received:

I am turning to you as i believe this message followed an abusive message left on my daughters webby! - please help me to let other parents know to firstly save the 'chat history' of the msn for future checking and also to inform them that this does happen to YOU! the messages that follow are directly ccopied from msn [parent enclosed a copy of the message] there is also a download and web addy that was sent to her!. I am so glad my 13 yr old daughter alerted me to this before she reacted and met this individual, there are so many who wouldnt confide in their parents.!

Please this is a heart felt plea - to ensure the safety of the girls and boys who enjoy this website and a warning that as ever there are some nasty people out there!

Everyone please be aware! this site advertised here is a must for parents..and concerned young people...to remember!!

I have turned this post into a 'sticky' topic to keep it near the top for you all to find easily, in case you should need it.
Hope Never Dies....
kadgie
Nominee

Post by kadgie »

Aww Well done to Tom!!

And Thank you Admin for this. My daughter hasn't yet discovered MSN but has a website and emails friends daily, at the moment this is a relatively new privelege and she checks with us every time she goes onto a new site and we check all her emails. I do remember my son spending hours in his room MSN'ing when he was "studying" and nearly every night a new member would join them which i found quite scary!

Good lad Tom - you now know more than most and can teach others =D> =D>
Life is like a box of chocolates............mmmm!
songbird
GRAMMY Award

Post by songbird »

Please also make your children aware that it has been known for those nasty types to hack into a childs MSN account and then be able to pose as the child talking to their friends etc - this recently happened to friends of ours it was only alerted when the child was supposedly online when she was actually at school - they were asking the children to behave improperly on web cam - the police were involved but it did take a while to close the MSN accounts down etc - children believe msn is safe because they think they know all their friends on their but please make them aware that although safer than chat rooms if someone acts out of character it might be an imposter
If you dont buy a ticket how can you ever expect to win !!
kadgie
Nominee

Post by kadgie »

OMG Songbird! that sounds really awful :shock:
That must be really frightening for a child (and parent), to think you are talking to a friend when it is somebody else with evil intentions :shock:
Thanks for this.

Yet another thing to worry about and warn our kids about :cry:
Life is like a box of chocolates............mmmm!
Grace125
GRAMMY Award

Post by Grace125 »

I saw a clip from this advert on the news last night - Well done to Tom! =D> He was really convincing - it must have been quite harrowing to film, and for you to watch him film it
wwchix
Nominee

Post by wwchix »

dont know if i will get to see this in school.

maybe someway i'l be able to see it?

x
My dream gets closer day by day!
Pebbles
Nominee

Post by Pebbles »

Grrr I missed this on the news, tho several people saw it apparently! We have been away :( ...Hopefully they will send me a copy soon [-o<

It wasn't quite as harrowing to film as you imagine, tho the bit where they guy put his hand on Toms head, then put his finger to his lips in a 'Shhh' movement had us all creeped out...

I have just been on the Think you know site, and the girl version of the film can be visited now at http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/teachers/ I expect its a lot more powerful shown on a bigger screen at school....but still well worth a visit for everyone, just to remind them that there is someone that can help...
Our children are all stars...and every star has the right to sparkle...
Singstar
Nominee

Think u know

Post by Singstar »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site....and whilst viewing different threads came accross this one.

My daughter was the main character in the girl version. It is very powerful and she has made all her friends watch it, just to get the point accross.

It was hard to watch her filming though, to think that this happens in real life.
Life is too short....so go and live the dream!!!!
Hiya
Nominee

Post by Hiya »

Talking of hacking into msn accounts - once somebody hacked into mine and swore at my friends. They mostly figured it wasn't me as I never swear, but it still was really annoying. I found out who it was and they'd done it 'as a joke' but yeh it still upset me at the time as I realised anyone could do it. plus if someone hacks into your account they could convince one of your friends to 'meet up' as they'd think it was you, so it's very important to keep passwords safe and change them at least once a month, even if you just change a number.

also, in case someone DOES pretend to be someone you know, ask them a simple question about your friend to see if they know the answer.

Never put email adresses on a public site and meet with someone alone - even if they're someone you know a bit about, because you never know them in real life.

Singstar, well done to your daughter! And pebbles :]
I watched the girl version and thought it was very powerful. I think the main thing is always, while enjoying talking online, always be aware that you can never be certain who you're talking to, and give away details such as what school you go to, and what road you live on xxx
Cat_woman
Nominee

Post by Cat_woman »

Hi Singstar.

WOW ! I've just watched the link and it made me cry - it's terrifying to think what could happen.

Your daughter is a great actress - a fantastic job ! =D> =D>
If you don't know where you are going, you probably won't end up there.