Auditioning for 2024 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

38ta
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2024 entry

Post by 38ta »

If she is walking out feeling good she should be proud. Fingers crossed for her. X
38ta
GRAMMY Award

Post by 38ta »

Anyone starting degree apps? Torn in our house as to try and do any this side of Xmas or wait till after.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

MTEast wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:52 pm Well it’s done. She thought it went well and she performed her best, but she didn’t get an interview. They specifically said that doesn’t mean it’s a no, but she is convinced it does and is gutted. Urgh!
Sorry to hear your DD didn't get an interview. It's such a tough world to put yourself into at just 16. It doesn't mean she didn't perform really well though. It's good she felt happy with how she did. Until you receive news I would just assume nothing and focus on the next audition which I think you said is quite soon.
MTEast
BRIT Award

Post by MTEast »

biscuitsneeded wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm
MTEast wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:52 pm Well it’s done. She thought it went well and she performed her best, but she didn’t get an interview. They specifically said that doesn’t mean it’s a no, but she is convinced it does and is gutted. Urgh!
Sorry to hear your DD didn't get an interview. It's such a tough world to put yourself into at just 16. It doesn't mean she didn't perform really well though. It's good she felt happy with how she did. Until you receive news I would just assume nothing and focus on the next audition which I think you said is quite soon.
We knew this one would be tough! Doing part time and getting into associates there means it feels like “home” and her autism means she is fixated on going there. I think she’ll take the others in her stride so we are trying to boost her up for Arts1 on Sunday. From what she said, I think she performed her absolute best, which, as was said above, means she should be really proud. This is such a brutal thing to go through at this age.
Sahara
BRIT Award

Post by Sahara »

Sorry to hear she didn’t get an interview and is feeling disappointed. She did her best so she should feel very proud, auditioning is tough. Fingers crossed she can go into the next one feeling confident.
Sahara
BRIT Award

Post by Sahara »

38ta wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:03 pm Anyone starting degree apps? Torn in our house as to try and do any this side of Xmas or wait till after.
We haven’t applied anywhere yet and are facing the same dilemma here.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Sahara wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:04 pm
38ta wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:03 pm Anyone starting degree apps? Torn in our house as to try and do any this side of Xmas or wait till after.
We haven’t applied anywhere yet and are facing the same dilemma here.
If they are ready to audition I would say definitely apply before Christmas. Having left it until last minute last year, dd realised that she was at a disadvantage - she had to wait longer to hear if she’s been recalled (over 6 weeks for GSA, when those who applied earlier heard back within 2 weeks). As most schools offer places as they go, chances are it gets harder to get a recall or an offer if you apply late. The other thing dd realised is that as time went by she started to loose interest in auditioning so in the end she withdrew 3 of her applications - but by that time she decided she was going to take a year out. I realise it’s different for MT as first rounds are in person rather than self tapes, but this is our opinion based on last year’s experience.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

I would say to stagger your applications. Some of them may ask for self tapes, and you don't want to be doing several of those at once in a short time frame and having the quality suffer.
Any applications through UCAS will have a specific deadline anyway, but I'd aim for December rather than January so you aren't in the very last batch to be responded to.
Of the colleges that have their own entry system, I would start soonish with one that isn't the top choice. That way any rookie audition errors/fits of nerves can happen in a lower stakes audition, and you can move onto the ones you're most interested in with increased confidence.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

Well here I am again! I thought I’d finished and decisions had been made.

DD auditioned last year after doing a BTech at a performing arts 6th form, she was late in applying and I don’t think that helped. She got two offers ICT Brighton, which she didn’t like so much and Chichester. She had gone for TT at Chichester but was offered MT Music, which she deferred and has taken a year out.

However, she wants to reapply for GSA - foundation - it’s her dream college and Arts Ed. Believing that if she doesn’t at least try, she will never know if she could get in. She just completed a weekend pre audition course at GSA and they said she was exactly the type of person who they like in their foundation and should take a gamble!

However, she has to drop Chichester as GSA is via UCAS and you can’t have an accepted offer to apply again!

She’s got an audition day with EDA in Manchester, which is like a preliminary, with possible call back, which is next month, but that is without having applied through UCAS.

It was exhausting and expensive last year, the thought of doing it all again …..😳. However she is better informed on choices and knows what to expect, so fingers crossed.

Someone asked about LIPA; the old head of GSA went there two years ago and this years is the first time they have an MT course. DD auditioned, got a recall but then turned down. She applied for Foundation after that and they never got back to her!! By then she had the Chichester offer, so didn’t chase, but they’re really poor at communicating.

Good luck to everyone!
38ta
GRAMMY Award

Post by 38ta »

Thank you for the tips great advice as ever!
Welcome to the stresses again K8t- I think I might need a lot of wine over the next few months!

Re Lipa I know someone who did the foundation and is on their new MT actor course. Absolutely loving it and low class numbers. It’s on the maybe list for ucas currently.

Think we are at the chosen songs and monologues stage and now just need to decide where to apply!
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

K8t wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:20 pm Well here I am again! I thought I’d finished and decisions had been made.

DD auditioned last year after doing a BTech at a performing arts 6th form, she was late in applying and I don’t think that helped. She got two offers ICT Brighton, which she didn’t like so much and Chichester. She had gone for TT at Chichester but was offered MT Music, which she deferred and has taken a year out.

However, she wants to reapply for GSA - foundation - it’s her dream college and Arts Ed. Believing that if she doesn’t at least try, she will never know if she could get in. She just completed a weekend pre audition course at GSA and they said she was exactly the type of person who they like in their foundation and should take a gamble!

However, she has to drop Chichester as GSA is via UCAS and you can’t have an accepted offer to apply again!

She’s got an audition day with EDA in Manchester, which is like a preliminary, with possible call back, which is next month, but that is without having applied through UCAS.

It was exhausting and expensive last year, the thought of doing it all again …..😳. However she is better informed on choices and knows what to expect, so fingers crossed.

Someone asked about LIPA; the old head of GSA went there two years ago and this years is the first time they have an MT course. DD auditioned, got a recall but then turned down. She applied for Foundation after that and they never got back to her!! By then she had the Chichester offer, so didn’t chase, but they’re really poor at communicating.

Good luck to everyone!
For what it's worth (ie the opinion of another parent!) I think your DD is doing the right thing. There's no point trotting off to Chichester just because they made her an offer if her heart's not in it. My son's next door neighbour in halls at GSA is on the MT Foundation and she is loving it. She had a degree offer at EDA and was very tempted to take it (and for what it's worth I do think their degree is worth considering and definitely a better option than Chichester), but she decided the GSA Foundation was not to be passed up, and she's hopeful it will mean degree offers from good colleges this time around. The industry is over-saturated with talented students, and there isn't enough work for all of them, so going somewhere without the proven track record of graduate success probably isn't wise if you're still young and have the time and determination to apply again.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

biscuitsneeded wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:53 pm
K8t wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:20 pm Well here I am again! I thought I’d finished and decisions had been made.

Good luck to everyone!
For what it's worth (ie the opinion of another parent!) I think your DD is doing the right thing. There's no point trotting off to Chichester just because they made her an offer if her heart's not in it. My son's next door neighbour in halls at GSA is on the MT Foundation and she is loving it. She had a degree offer at EDA and was very tempted to take it (and for what it's worth I do think their degree is worth considering and definitely a better option than Chichester), but she decided the GSA Foundation was not to be passed up, and she's hopeful it will mean degree offers from good colleges this time around. The industry is over-saturated with talented students, and there isn't enough work for all of them, so going somewhere without the proven track record of graduate success probably isn't wise if you're still young and have the time and determination to apply again.
Thank you, you’re absolutely right and I’d hate her to take Chichester and forever think ‘what if?’
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

@K8 if you had to rank her 3 skills (acting, singing, dance), what order what you put them in? Just trying to think where might suit!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

biscuitsneeded wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:53 pm

Good luck to everyone!
That's my DD's story too. She was on the brink of taking a degree offer at a lesser known college when a las t minute offer for a foundation for somewhere more well known came up. She accepted (and we lost our £500 deposit!). I questioned to myself many times whether she did the right thing. especially when a year later the only 2 offers on the table were foundation again(but this time both were funded) again she accepted and after this got offered degree at the same college as the 1st foundation and she's with friends she met from both courses. I was ready to give up and suggest she look at doing something else - she wasn't.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

biscuitsneeded wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:02 pm @K8 if you had to rank her 3 skills (acting, singing, dance), what order what you put them in? Just trying to think where might suit!
Acting - through song is very good - singing, dance.

She’s concentrating on Foundations this time, but I think she should apply for BA too
Last edited by K8t on Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.