Auditioning for 2024 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

LizzyBee
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2024 entry

Post by LizzyBee »

lawn wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:51 pm Glad you found out and that they're updating their website to make it clearer. I am incredibly thankful to not have to be joining this thread this year, I waited patiently for our turn and then was on it for 3 years! Daughter is now on degree at Rose Bruford. Good luck to all of you still on this journey.
How is your DD finding Rose Bruford? Is she on acting course? It’s one we’re considering this time round, the third year!
38ta
GRAMMY Award

Post by 38ta »

@lawn also interested to hear about rose bruford. My ds deciding on his application choices but making it more difficult as he isn’t 100% sure whether acting or mt.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

LizzyBee wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:26 pm
lawn wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:51 pm Glad you found out and that they're updating their website to make it clearer. I am incredibly thankful to not have to be joining this thread this year, I waited patiently for our turn and then was on it for 3 years! Daughter is now on degree at Rose Bruford. Good luck to all of you still on this journey.
How is your DD finding Rose Bruford? Is she on acting course? It’s one we’re considering this time round, the third year!
She's loving it. I've sent you a PM. @38ta - Sent you one too.
38ta
GRAMMY Award

Post by 38ta »

Thank you @lawn but I haven’t received it.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Just wanted to add a possibility for those DS and DD that have maybe done a Btec and or NYMT or other high level training: DS is incredibly happy at The Royal Academy of Music on their one year Masters course. I would never have known or indeed considered the course originally (many thanks have to go to Biscuitsneeded for telling me about it!) but having chosen it over his degree offers it is the best choice he could have made. Incredible training and industry links. Just thought I'd mention it to anyone whose child has maybe been in the industry already or done a fair level of vocational training.
Best of luck to everyone and if anyone has any questions about the audition process I am happy to help!
Sahara
BRIT Award

Post by Sahara »

It’s all gone a bit quiet on here. Has anyone’s DC applied to degree/diploma courses yet? Does anyone have any thoughts on whether applying early is a good idea? Thank you.
MTEast
BRIT Award

Post by MTEast »

It’s very quiet here! Not degree or diploma - BTECH here, but I thought I’d reply since you aren’t alone. My daughter has her heart absolutely set on Emil Dale, so we are trying to gently talk about the benefits of the other options too! She does Associates and part time at EDA so has fallen in love. She’s autistic so I think the familiarity is also a factor. She has an open day in 14th Oct at Arts1 in Milton Keynes to see if that is ‘on the list’ and auditions for EDA on 24th and Stageworks on 12th Nov.

We’ve decided to go early for a couple of reasons - I figure if they are cohort casting at EDA as per their policy, she’ll do better if they haven’t already offered a place to someone similar to her. She’s absolutely miserable at high school at the moment, so I think having an offer and something to look forward to will help massively. She’s going to have to live away from home at 16, so the longer we have to prepare and make concrete plans, the better!

I am terrified!

Songs and monologue all ready so it’s just waiting now…

Where is your DC thinking of applying?
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

For the 3 years my DD auditioned, she applied early first year due to her sixth form teacher going on maternity and wanting to do a handover. I wouldn't say her year group was that successful. The 2nd year DD was on a private foundation and applied late as per their course's advice, that was slightly better but her only offers were 2 more foundations this time funded and she was one of the lucky ones from her course, the majority didn't get any offers. 3rd year she went in the middle-ish - towards the end but not quite. That yielded the most results and she did get a degree offer but only at the last minute - we truly believed she was looking at a year out and a 4th attempt. It's a juggling act tbh, apply too early and you're risking them waiting to see who else comes along, apply too late and they might have already got someone similar and don't want another. If you've got kids auditioning who are also in exam years that needs taking into account too.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Dd applied very late last year, she submitted just before deadlines and didn’t get any degree offers. She decided not to do a foundation but to take a gap year instead. She will be auditioning again this year (for degree and foundation acting courses only). She is planning to apply and submit her tapes in early December and hoping to audition (if recalled) in December/January (most acting courses have self tapes as first rounds). Good luck, it certainly is a nerve racking time!
MTEast
BRIT Award

Post by MTEast »

Lawn, I can’t recall…. I know your daughter is at RV, but can’t recall if that is degree or foundation? Are you over the auditions phase for now? Your daughter’s tenacity is oft cited in this house!
MTEast
BRIT Award

Post by MTEast »

Ditzi wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:15 pm Dd applied very late last year, she submitted just before deadlines and didn’t get any degree offers. She decided not to do a foundation but to take a gap year instead. She will be auditioning again this year (for degree and foundation acting courses only). She is planning to apply and submit her tapes in early December and hoping to audition (if recalled) in December/January (most acting courses have self tapes as first rounds). Good luck, it certainly is a nerve racking time!

Ah figured out how to quote! Has she decided where she would like to audition to?
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

MTEast wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:39 pm Lawn, I can’t recall…. I know your daughter is at RV, but can’t recall if that is degree or foundation? Are you over the auditions phase for now? Your daughter’s tenacity is oft cited in this house!
She's now on Degree, having done 2 foundations first. From 6th form she got onto a private foundation. A year later her offers were foundations again but ones that were funded via student finance and took one. Then this year she got offered degree.

That's lovely to know - thank you. I was ready to give up - she wasn't!
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

MTEast wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:40 pm
Ditzi wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:15 pm Dd applied very late last year, she submitted just before deadlines and didn’t get any degree offers. She decided not to do a foundation but to take a gap year instead. She will be auditioning again this year (for degree and foundation acting courses only). She is planning to apply and submit her tapes in early December and hoping to audition (if recalled) in December/January (most acting courses have self tapes as first rounds). Good luck, it certainly is a nerve racking time!

Ah figured out how to quote! Has she decided where she would like to audition to?
Definitely Rose Bruford and Guildford - top choices. There’s a few likelys and possibles in the mix, I’ll update once she knows for sure.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Sahara wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:10 pm It’s all gone a bit quiet on here. Has anyone’s DC applied to degree/diploma courses yet? Does anyone have any thoughts on whether applying early is a good idea? Thank you.
DS was advised to audition late first time round and got zero degree offers-this time round he applied relatively early and definitely did better. Problem is if you apply late then they may have already offered a place to someone who is the same ‘type’ then you are already at a disadvantage. But equally you need to hit auditions having totally nailed your pieces so definitely a balancing act! Best of luck with it all!
MTEast
BRIT Award

Post by MTEast »

Urgh, spanner in the works. H just had a singing lesson at EDA and was advised to audition later and change her second song. I mean, good to have this advice now, but I just want that audition done so if it’s a no, she can focus on the other options and move on! Argh!