Auditioning for 2023 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2023 entry

Post by Proseccoplease »

2good2hurry wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:52 am Does anyone have any guidance of typical rent / accommodation costs (shared house / flat) in and around Chiswick. DD has been looking and it seems £1000 pcm is common. Am I dreaming in hoping for circa £700-£800. Having to balance this cost with ArtsEd top up fees.

Many thanks. :)
Sorry to be barer of bad news but yes £700-800 around Chiswick is probably optimistic. DS lived in a shared 4 bed flat in Chiswick Village-it was £800 pcm 2021-2022 but when they left the landlady put it up to £1000 and that seems to be about the going rate now. Have you looked at Acton? It is much cheaper and has some nice areas. DS lived there with family for a year and cycled to Arts. It has definitely got harder and his friends really struggled to get accommodation, affordable or not. Very relieved DS has halls this September!
Sorry again for sounding negative! Connections on social media with students about to leave their accommodation is definitely the way to go.
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

Proseccoplease wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:17 am
2good2hurry wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:52 am Does anyone have any guidance of typical rent / accommodation costs (shared house / flat) in and around Chiswick. DD has been looking and it seems £1000 pcm is common. Am I dreaming in hoping for circa £700-£800. Having to balance this cost with ArtsEd top up fees.

Sorry to be barer of bad news but yes £700-800 around Chiswick is probably optimistic. DS lived in a shared 4 bed flat in Chiswick Village-it was £800 pcm 2021-2022 but when they left the landlady put it up to £1000 and that seems to be about the going rate now. Have you looked at Acton? It is much cheaper and has some nice areas. DS lived there with family for a year and cycled to Arts. It has definitely got harder and his friends really struggled to get accommodation, affordable or not. Very relieved DS has halls this September!
Sorry again for sounding negative! Connections on social media with students about to leave their accommodation is definitely the way to go.
Thanks for your honesty, I really appreciate it. I think I've come to accept that we will need to find closer to £1000 pcm. I'm hoping that even a tiny bursary may help, but we will see and somehow find a way. DD knows she has to work, but we'd hoped that it wouldn't be too much. She really wants to house share, but I think a few are opting for halls for the stability too.

I will look at Acton, being from the midlands means we have no idea of what is an ok area or not, so this helps. I hadn't even thought of a bike though - great idea :)

Thanks again!
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

amo185 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:49 pm We got onto estate agents' lists, but dd also linked with others on the social media chats. She nearly dismissed the one she ended up in as it seemed expensive and only three rooms (she was in a group of four) - but it was through a 2nd Year moving out along with two third years -and he explained that everyone paid a different amount (and her group were happy to split up to find accommodation) We've asked dd's landlord on behalf of others but he has no vacancies. It's worth asking the college. Happy to pm you on here if I hear of anything - dd has other first year friends also looking. Everyone does somehow get sorted - but I do think costs for all students in London are especially high now and we are also going to find this final year tough to finance.
Thanks for this. Agree, it is going to be a tough year financially, but we will find a way. If you do by any chance hear of any accommodation, I would really appreciate a message :)
Caitlin03
Nominee

Post by Caitlin03 »

We are in the process of finalising a 2 bed first floor flat that is 15 mins walk from ArtsEd. Daughter is looking for someone to share with - £950pcm and is talking to a couple of people in the various chats. She’s just finished a foundation at ArtsEd and loved it! She was in a 3 bed just round the corner with 2 girls also on the foundation but they are going elsewhere and landlord put rent up to £3000 pcm for flat and one of the rooms really tiny so someone would need to probably pay more than £1000/month to be fair. It also wasn’t the nicest flat so we’ve taken the opportunity to find somewhere new and as a bonus not have to pay over the summer as tenancy start date looking like 15th August.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Ditzi wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:28 pm
lawn wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:52 am

Have you looked at any private halls if they are any close enough to commute, their contracts might be for shorter periods rather than full 12 months. Mine is going to Rose Bruford and I'm staggered at the cost of their halls, 9800 for a 40 week term. Previously my DD has been in Edinburgh and then Essex on foundation courses and costs were a lot more reasonable 6-6.5k!
Not much help with regards to the question asked but I just wanted to say well done to lawn’s dd for getting into Rose Bruford! 🙌🙌
Thank you. It's been a rollercoaster for 3 years on top of the pandemic affecting the sixth form years! I was coming close to saying give it 1 more year then look to do something else instead. I'm glad she's got something now.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Have you looked at any private halls if they are any close enough to commute, their contracts might be for shorter periods rather than full 12 months. Mine is going to Rose Bruford and I'm staggered at the cost of their halls, 9800 for a 40 week term. Previously my DD has been in Edinburgh and then Essex on foundation courses and costs were a lot more reasonable 6-6.5k!
Sorry managed to miss this success story! Congratulations to your DD😊 Don’t even mention the cost of halls…we were sure DS would be in Cardiff and were very happy with fees. Now he’s back in central London and it’s horrifying.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

@Lawn Hoorah! Many congrats to your DD! I hope she has a great time. Sorry to hear about expensive halls though - this whole process is eye-wateringly expensive. Just have to hope they work afterwards!!
MimisMum
Nominee

Post by MimisMum »

Proseccoplease wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:28 pm

Sorry managed to miss this success story! Congratulations to your DD😊 Don’t even mention the cost of halls…we were sure DS would be in Cardiff and were very happy with fees. Now he’s back in central London and it’s horrifying.
I remember the sleepless nights...hope this might help in some way...
My DD is just at the end of her 1st years at Arts Ed. When she received her news of a place on the BA course it was a dream come true, I fully appreciate the anguish and roller coaster of the audition process and glad we are done with that for now! however the panic quickly set in of how we would afford it! Accommodation is expensive in Chiswick, yes £1000 is typical and very often/mostly, plus bill, finding somewhere was difficult not being in the vicinity for us too.
DD found her own accommodation via social media, Arts freshers page, I believe - she has in fact just posted a room available in her 6 bed house in Ealing/Acton. All room mates are Arts students which was a huge help in finding her feet, moving from home, commuting and looking out for each other. Think the ensuite room is approx 850 + but it does include bills although there is the weekly tube/bus fare on top to consider, The bus and tube service from this area is really good and there hasn't been any problem getting to/from as they often travel together. As DD has private accommodation it is a contract for 12 months but Arts Ed is more like a school timetable rather than Uni so the extended time is needed and once they find a part time job some do stay and they then have that option to do so.
There is recommendations for agents which I know a few people have used and there is plenty of the £1K places available but def get your DD to be active on the social media sites as I am pretty sure rooms will come available if this suits better.

We have got through the first year of funding our DDs place and accommodation and there is no doubt its is worth every penny, its tough and super hard work but my DD still pinches herself that she got in, even now! Good luck to your DD, you will find a way, it does all work out, honest!
Helenb76
BRIT Award

Post by Helenb76 »

DD found out she was mid-list at bird on Monday but then received a phone call today offering her a place on the degree- much excitement in our house! Hopefully this means some movement for some of you who are still waiting. Now the battle for accommodation begins!
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

MimisMum wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:00 am
Proseccoplease wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:28 pm
lawn wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:52 am Have you looked at any private halls if they are any close enough to commute, their contracts might be for shorter periods rather than full 12 months. Mine is going to Rose Bruford and I'm staggered at the cost of their halls, 9800 for a 40 week term. Previously my DD has been in Edinburgh and then Essex on foundation courses and costs were a lot more reasonable 6-6.5k!

I remember the sleepless nights...hope this might help in some way...
My DD is just at the end of her 1st years at Arts Ed. When she received her news of a place on the BA course it was a dream come true, I fully appreciate the anguish and roller coaster of the audition process and glad we are done with that for now! however the panic quickly set in of how we would afford it! Accommodation is expensive in Chiswick, yes £1000 is typical and very often/mostly, plus bill, finding somewhere was difficult not being in the vicinity for us too.
DD found her own accommodation via social media, Arts freshers page, I believe - she has in fact just posted a room available in her 6 bed house in Ealing/Acton. All room mates are Arts students which was a huge help in finding her feet, moving from home, commuting and looking out for each other. Think the ensuite room is approx 850 + but it does include bills although there is the weekly tube/bus fare on top to consider, The bus and tube service from this area is really good and there hasn't been any problem getting to/from as they often travel together. As DD has private accommodation it is a contract for 12 months but Arts Ed is more like a school timetable rather than Uni so the extended time is needed and once they find a part time job some do stay and they then have that option to do so.
There is recommendations for agents which I know a few people have used and there is plenty of the £1K places available but def get your DD to be active on the social media sites as I am pretty sure rooms will come available if this suits better.

We have got through the first year of funding our DDs place and accommodation and there is no doubt its is worth every penny, its tough and super hard work but my DD still pinches herself that she got in, even now! Good luck to your DD, you will find a way, it does all work out, honest!
Thanks so much for this. I could have written most of what you’d said about pinching herself. It is the absolute dream so I definitely can’t grumble :)

I have a few leads to follow so hopefully something will come of one of them. Thanks again. Exciting times!
pinky3
GRAMMY Award

Post by pinky3 »

Helenb76 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:34 pm DD found out she was mid-list at bird on Monday but then received a phone call today offering her a place on the degree- much excitement in our house! Hopefully this means some movement for some of you who are still waiting. Now the battle for accommodation begins!
Well done! That’s great news!! 👏👏👏
Fizzintheshire
Nominee

Post by Fizzintheshire »

Wow that is great news well done to your DD.
Our girl is mid list too, anxiously waiting xx
Hope your DD has a ball at Bird xx
Last edited by Fizzintheshire on Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

2good2hurry wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:55 am
Proseccoplease wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:17 am

Thanks for your honesty, I really appreciate it. I think I've come to accept that we will need to find closer to £1000 pcm. I'm hoping that even a tiny bursary may help, but we will see and somehow find a way. DD knows she has to work, but we'd hoped that it wouldn't be too much. She really wants to house share, but I think a few are opting for halls for the stability too.

I will look at Acton, being from the midlands means we have no idea of what is an ok area or not, so this helps. I hadn't even thought of a bike though - great idea :)

Thanks again!
Is she on degree or DADA and if DADA does she get any finance at all for living costs? Up till now we've always paid full rent for our kids when doing degrees and left them their student loan to live on. Nearly 10K for DD's halls is just too expensive for us to do this way. We're taking all her student loan and topping it to pay rent then will send her money to live on. She's got some seasonal work lined up that should give her money to live on and hopefully will find a job down there too.
Helenb76
BRIT Award

Post by Helenb76 »

Fizzintheshire wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:53 am Wow that is great news well done to your DD.
Will be keeping my fingers crossed for your daughter Fizzintheshire. We are now attempting to find accommodation which is proving a bit of a headache!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Helenb76 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:59 am
Fizzintheshire wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:53 am Wow that is great news well done to your DD.
Will be keeping my fingers crossed for your daughter Fizzintheshire. We are now attempting to find accommodation which is proving a bit of a headache!
It's not that far from Rose Bruford is it? My daughter is going there and we've found same thing. Mine tried applying for private housing but she also wasn't helped that she got a late offer so couldn't look earlier and the student houses seem a bit reluctant to take on an unknown first year (understandable). We've just decided to suck it up and take the offer of halls instead. Though I think they're expensive (compared to what we've paid past 2 years and including in Edinburgh which is not the cheapest of places to live!) that is balanced by it only being for 40 weeks, rather than a full year some of which DD might not use.

I'm guessing you've already looked at this? https://www.torontostudentlets.co.uk/ Don't forget if they're walking distance you don't have to account for any commuting costs.