Auditioning for 2023 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Fizzintheshire
Nominee

Re: Auditioning for 2023 entry

Post by Fizzintheshire »

DD found out today she is middle of the reserve list for Bird college degree. She’s not feeling hopeful and is really uncertain what to do. She’s not thrilled with her other offers and is now considering taking a year out to audition again. Or taking her place and then auditioning again. I’m not sure she should accept her offer this year that she’s not happy with and then re audition, as I understand it, if she chose to start her degree course this year, she will do a year and then if she re auditions again for her preferred college 2024 intake, she will start back on year one?
Does anyone have past experience of knowing if anyone stands a chance of a place being offered at Bird being middle of the list?
Advice would be appreciated from anyone who’s been in this position before. Such an anxiety provoking time, was really hoping she would have been settled on a place by now. 😫
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Fizzintheshire wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:00 pm DD found out today she is middle of the reserve list for Bird college degree. She’s not feeling hopeful and is really uncertain what to do. She’s not thrilled with her other offers and is now considering taking a year out to audition again. Or taking her place and then auditioning again. I’m not sure she should accept her offer this year that she’s not happy with and then re audition, as I understand it, if she chose to start her degree course this year, she will do a year and then if she re auditions again for her preferred college 2024 intake, she will start back on year one?
Does anyone have past experience of knowing if anyone stands a chance of a place being offered at Bird being middle of the list?
Advice would be appreciated from anyone who’s been in this position before. Such an anxiety provoking time, was really hoping she would have been settled on a place by now. 😫
What does 'middle' mean have they talked numbers. The Bird reserve list is legendary I've known people be offered places as late as September. Yes if she started a degree then dropped out she would go back to yr1 at an alternative place and have used her 'gift year' of funding up.
Fizzintheshire
Nominee

Post by Fizzintheshire »

Thanks for clarifying re the 1st year. She needs student finance as we don’t qualify for Dada, so definitely needs to attend a college she loves enough to stick at it for 3 years.

She has no idea of numbers they wouldn’t say. Just that the reserve list has people on the top of the list the middle and bottom. The lady At bird who DD spoke to said it would be end of July/beginning of august until they have a further update of the reserve list and its movement for her as she’s middle of the list. But she did say they would try keep her as up to date as much as possible.

Helpful to know it can move through until September. Just hope that means they get to the middle of the list!.. 🤞🏻
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

My daughter has just been accepted for Ruthie Henshall's CAST school. She had other offers but wanted to go for this very unique training. It might be worth it for anyone still looking for a place as they are still accepting applications but with a tiny cohort of 25 I imagine there are very few places left. At the moment it is not funded but they are hoping to change that hopefully in the first year, but no guarantees. Maybe worth a try, my dd is absolutely thrilled as Ruthie is her complete idol!
Sahara
BRIT Award

Post by Sahara »

mrs_lovett wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:55 pm My daughter has just been accepted for Ruthie Henshall's CAST school. She had other offers but wanted to go for this very unique training. It might be worth it for anyone still looking for a place as they are still accepting applications but with a tiny cohort of 25 I imagine there are very few places left. At the moment it is not funded but they are hoping to change that hopefully in the first year, but no guarantees. Maybe worth a try, my dd is absolutely thrilled as Ruthie is her complete idol!
My DD will be auditioning for MT colleges next year. I would be interested to hear about your DD’s experience when she starts there mrs_lovett
jacsrab
BRIT Award

Post by jacsrab »

mrs_lovett wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:55 pm My daughter has just been accepted for Ruthie Henshall's CAST school. She had other offers but wanted to go for this very unique training. It might be worth it for anyone still looking for a place as they are still accepting applications but with a tiny cohort of 25 I imagine there are very few places left. At the moment it is not funded but they are hoping to change that hopefully in the first year, but no guarantees. Maybe worth a try, my dd is absolutely thrilled as Ruthie is her complete idol!
That sounds exciting.
How do they think that they will get funding?
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

I hope they do access funding as it's £12k per year in fees and if child can't live at home for free/cheap and commute then that's also rent and living costs to find for 3 years.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

With so many great colleges going to the wall over the last few years due to funding issues I would be incredibly sceptical about a new college, regardless of the star power at the helm. It will take years for a proven track record to evolve and if funding isn’t established quickly, there will just not be enough people who can afford private fees who will choose to go there against the other highly successful colleges out there. I hope those in charge are not only good MT performers but have great business brains and the help to get established quickly. It’s not a great time to be starting a new college.
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

jacsrab wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:27 pm
That sounds exciting.
How do they think that they will get funding?
They are planning on getting it validated by a Uni at some point during the year as the course has been written to degree level with that in mind.
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

Does anyone have any guidance of typical rent / accommodation costs (shared house / flat) in and around Chiswick. DD has been looking and it seems £1000 pcm is common. Am I dreaming in hoping for circa £700-£800. Having to balance this cost with ArtsEd top up fees.

Many thanks. :)
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

2good2hurry wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:52 am Does anyone have any guidance of typical rent / accommodation costs (shared house / flat) in and around Chiswick. DD has been looking and it seems £1000 pcm is common. Am I dreaming in hoping for circa £700-£800. Having to balance this cost with ArtsEd top up fees.

Have you looked at any private halls if they are any close enough to commute, their contracts might be for shorter periods rather than full 12 months. Mine is going to Rose Bruford and I'm staggered at the cost of their halls, 9800 for a 40 week term. Previously my DD has been in Edinburgh and then Essex on foundation courses and costs were a lot more reasonable 6-6.5k!
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Accommodation is indeed very pricey in Chiswick. We managed to get a good deal for DD when she started two years ago by moving into a flat with rooms of varying sizes. The overall rent was split according the size of each room (communal areas shared) and she was lucky that one girl happily paid more for a much larger room and her own separate bathroom. So a mixed sized accommodation may well be worth considering when getting together with other students. There may be students who can stretch a bit more. And landlords love ArtsEd students so do sometimes make allowances. We made our limit very clear (£700) and achieved it - including bills. This year all costs seem to have spiralled and there appears to be very little for less than about £900 a month including bills. Many students are paying £1000 a month for all twelve months - often not covered by the student loan - hence needing part time jobs on top of a very intensive course. Although living further out may be a little cheaper we opted for accommodation within walking distance so DD has no travel costs. I do wish you good luck with your search!
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

lawn wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:52 am
2good2hurry wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:52 am Does anyone have any guidance of typical rent / accommodation costs (shared house / flat) in and around Chiswick. DD has been looking and it seems £1000 pcm is common. Am I dreaming in hoping for circa £700-£800. Having to balance this cost with ArtsEd top up fees.

Have you looked at any private halls if they are any close enough to commute, their contracts might be for shorter periods rather than full 12 months. Mine is going to Rose Bruford and I'm staggered at the cost of their halls, 9800 for a 40 week term. Previously my DD has been in Edinburgh and then Essex on foundation courses and costs were a lot more reasonable 6-6.5k!
Not much help with regards to the question asked but I just wanted to say well done to lawn’s dd for getting into Rose Bruford! 🙌🙌
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

amo185 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:16 pm Accommodation is indeed very pricey in Chiswick. We managed to get a good deal for DD when she started two years ago by moving into a flat with rooms of varying sizes. The overall rent was split according the size of each room (communal areas shared) and she was lucky that one girl happily paid more for a much larger room and her own separate bathroom. So a mixed sized accommodation may well be worth considering when getting together with other students. There may be students who can stretch a bit more. And landlords love ArtsEd students so do sometimes make allowances. We made our limit very clear (£700) and achieved it - including bills. This year all costs seem to have spiralled and there appears to be very little for less than about £900 a month including bills. Many students are paying £1000 a month for all twelve months - often not covered by the student loan - hence needing part time jobs on top of a very intensive course. Although living further out may be a little cheaper we opted for accommodation within walking distance so DD has no travel costs. I do wish you good luck with your search!
Thanks for this. It confirms my thoughts / concerns. Do you mind me asking whether you just did a trawl of estate agents / zoopla or have any sources?

Many thanks :)
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

We got onto estate agents' lists, but dd also linked with others on the social media chats. She nearly dismissed the one she ended up in as it seemed expensive and only three rooms (she was in a group of four) - but it was through a 2nd Year moving out along with two third years -and he explained that everyone paid a different amount (and her group were happy to split up to find accommodation) We've asked dd's landlord on behalf of others but he has no vacancies. It's worth asking the college. Happy to pm you on here if I hear of anything - dd has other first year friends also looking. Everyone does somehow get sorted - but I do think costs for all students in London are especially high now and we are also going to find this final year tough to finance.