Auditioning for 2023 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Re: Auditioning for 2023 entry

Post by biscuitsneeded »

@lizzybee DS isn't applying for MT anywhere else - he really enjoys it but his heart is with acting and he feels an actor can still do character parts in musicals, whereas a typical MT trained performer doesn't often get to do Shakespeare. That's a generalisation, I know. He's also not confident he sings well enough to do it for a career - was surprised to get the pm recall for MT. I don't think he has strong opinions on the specific MT course at central, and my understanding is it suits actor-singers, but if you want more of a dance-based course it might not be Central - but I could have that wrong.

To the poster who asked about the song at central, no backing tracks. I think it's about much more than the sound you make. They sing their songs a capella in a circle to the rest of the group. DS deliberately chose a song that tells a story and isn't a MT song.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Ditzi wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:50 pm They might be still deciding, maybe email them if she doesn’t hear back soon, to make sure she didn’t get lost in the system. Did they say how long it will take to get back to her after the audition? Well done to your ds for getting to the finals, he seems to be doing really well. Dd has finally booked her audition for Central, not until March though. She’s making progress with her applications and submissions but doesn’t seem to be in any hurry. She’s very busy with college work and auditions for their final show, there’s a lot going on right now, as for everyone else, I’m sure.
Ditzi, nice to see you back! DS is also very busy and although he has done all his initial applications he still has some recording and uploading to do. This could be a process lasting several months! Loads of luck to your DD.
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Urdang Waiting List - does anyone have any experience how this works at Urdang ? DD got waiting list after initial audition and doesn’t have to do the recall. Thank you
LizzyBee
BRIT Award

Post by LizzyBee »

biscuitsneeded wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:18 pm @lizzybee DS isn't applying for MT anywhere else - he really enjoys it but his heart is with acting and he feels an actor can still do character parts in musicals, whereas a typical MT trained performer doesn't often get to do Shakespeare. That's a generalisation, I know. He's also not confident he sings well enough to do it for a career - was surprised to get the pm recall for MT. I don't think he has strong opinions on the specific MT course at central, and my understanding is it suits actor-singers, but if you want more of a dance-based course it might not be Central - but I could have that wrong.

To the poster who asked about the song at central, no backing tracks. I think it's about much more than the sound you make. They sing their songs a capella in a circle to the rest of the group. DS deliberately chose a song that tells a story and isn't a MT song.
Thank you! Yes that’s our impression of MT at Central. My DD is applying to some pure drama and some MT, the ones that do have an emphasis or at least an equal part focus on acting. So many are very dance led. Only problem with that is they’re all the very small intake courses so going to have to roll with it if doesn’t happen this time.good luck with it all!
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

@LizzyBee Sounds like you are in a very similar position to us! Fingers crossed for second time lucky!
LizzyBee
BRIT Award

Post by LizzyBee »

Proseccoplease wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:51 am @LizzyBee Sounds like you are in a very similar position to us! Fingers crossed for second time lucky!
Hope so! Sounds like your DC is having more success second time round.
Apple
Nominee

Post by Apple »

oscar wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:40 am Urdang Waiting List - does anyone have any experience how this works at Urdang ? DD got waiting list after initial audition and doesn’t have to do the recall. Thank you
My daughter was in the same position last year and was on the Urdang wait list from Jan with no recall. In June she was told she was no longer on the waiting list. Then in mid August she was contacted out of the blue and offered a place on the degree course! She had decided by this point that it wasn’t right for her & turned it down..
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

That’s what I’m concerned about. The letter said she should hear in April / May. It’s all the waiting around. She has. Mountview recall and hadn’t had any more face to face interviews yet.
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

Could any of you lovely people give me advise on
what DD should wear for her Song and Monologue
at auditions?
Should it be on the more ‘dressy’ side?
How casual is too casual?
Would she normally wear same clothes for both song
and monologue?
Auditions coming up very soon and if new clothes are
Needed we better act quickly!!
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

StartingLate wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:00 pm Could any of you lovely people give me advise on
at auditions?
and monologue?
DD wears black dance tights and a ‘nice slightly fancy Leotard, with black leggings over the top which she puts on again after dance, she wears this for her songs and has a long sleeved coloured cropped top she puts on for her monologue. Most seem to wear the same. Sometimes she has parachute trousers/dance type trousers over her tights not leggings, I hate them!!!
Gymmom
Nominee

Post by Gymmom »

biscuitsneeded wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:18 pm @lizzybee DS isn't applying for MT anywhere else - he really enjoys it but his heart is with acting and he feels an actor can still do character parts in musicals, whereas a typical MT trained performer doesn't often get to do Shakespeare. That's a generalisation, I know. He's also not confident he sings well enough to do it for a career - was surprised to get the pm recall for MT. I don't think he has strong opinions on the specific MT course at central, and my understanding is it suits actor-singers, but if you want more of a dance-based course it might not be Central - but I could have that wrong.

This was the same as my daughter, trained in MT but heart was in acting. She is in her second term at Mountview (BA Acting) and says it was the best decision. Good luck to everyone
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

K8t wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:30 am
StartingLate wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:00 pm Could any of you lovely people give me advise on
at auditions?
and monologue?
DD wears black dance tights and a ‘nice slightly fancy Leotard, with black leggings over the top which she puts on again after dance, she wears this for her songs and has a long sleeved coloured cropped top she puts on for her monologue. Most seem to wear the same. Sometimes she has parachute trousers/dance type trousers over her tights not leggings, I hate them!!!
Thanks K8t! She should be able to sort that without buying anything new.
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

So blooming happy - DD got offer of Degree at ArtsEd yesterday. Her absolute dream school. Happy doesn't begin to describe how we are all feeling. This was her third year of applying, so for those of you who may be in a similar situation to us, there is absolutely hope!
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

2good2hurry wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:44 am So blooming happy - DD got offer of Degree at ArtsEd yesterday. Her absolute dream school. Happy doesn't begin to describe how we are all feeling. This was her third year of applying, so for those of you who may be in a similar situation to us, there is absolutely hope!
Brilliant! Massive congratulations.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

2good2hurry wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:44 am So blooming happy - DD got offer of Degree at ArtsEd yesterday. Her absolute dream school. Happy doesn't begin to describe how we are all feeling. This was her third year of applying, so for those of you who may be in a similar situation to us, there is absolutely hope!
Congratulations to your dd and well done to you for supporting her along the way! It’s great to hear of the success stories, especially those who have been through it all before 😃👏👏👏