School letter

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Aku
BRIT Award

School letter

Post by Aku »

Our agent has at three different occasions told us that our child has been pencilled for a role and asked us to supply school permission letter. At all the three occasions, a final offer did not happen later. Is it normal process to give school letter before a final offer? Gets a bit tricky when you involve the school and a final offer is never made
Flyby
Nominee

Re: School letter

Post by Flyby »

The exact same thing has just happened to us, I agree it feels like such a lot to ask for when they haven’t even got the job! I had never experienced this until now. I wonder if it’s common practice?
Shenks
Nominee

Post by Shenks »

Pretty normal for commercials. Rare in other types of work I would say. Commercials works on short turn-around times where often the decision on which kid(s) the client signs off on is only made a few days before the shoot. There will multiple sign offs required in the casting process (the director, the ad agency, and probably multiple sign offs with the ultimate client as well.) Therefore whilst this is going on the casting directors will always try to license as many of the pencils as possible so that the kids are ready to go once the final decision comes through so that the shoot is not delayed. Probably best to explain to the school the situation. Often you wont find out that the pencil has expired either.
Mandyb
Nominee

Post by Mandyb »

Yes very normal for adverts- lots get pencilled and licensed but just one confirm. It’s really annoying to be having to ask the school for the letter when the pencil them snaps- we’ve had quite a few licences come through then pencil snaps a day or two before filming