Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by lawn »

Redwire wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:28 pm Oh my goodness - what to do?! I know most of you here are MT, but I posted a couple of weeks back that my son had been offered a place at LIPA for BA Acting. He’s just finishing school and has never really done auditions before other than for community theatre. Needless to say he was thrilled to bits with an offer from LIPA.
He auditioned back in January for Royal Birmingham Conservatoire - they said they wouldn’t make decisions until they’d finished their audition workshops at the end of May, but he didn’t really have any expectations as it was his first audition day.
Anyway, their auditions finished on Thursday.
We were up in Liverpool yesterday having a look around his accommodation… and then Birmingham emailed to say they’re offering him a place as well! Obviously we’re thrilled to bits, but totally confused now - LIPA was probably his top choice, but he loved Birmingham too - no idea how to decide… We’ve already paid the deposit on his Liverpool accommodation, but wouldn’t lose too much if we cancelled. We’re so new to all of this - I have no idea how to help him decide between two drama schools that both look to be really good! Help!!
Hi, My daughter is Acting too not MT. First a big congratulations to your son because it's very difficult to be offered a BA Acting at a drama school straight from sixth form. There aren't as many spaces and the schools tend to prefer them older with more life experience.

Is your DS being swayed by Birmingham or is he still feeling LIPA is for him? When's the deadline up? Have you looked round Birmingham as a city to know that the vibe is like and if he likes it? I'd have a look on each website for course content for each year, alumni destinations.

I feel for you, mine is in the same sort of position, 2 funded foundation offers, has to have a decision and us pay the deposit by the weekend. We're back from a whirlwind trip to Essex, to see if she liked the area and I'm hoping her work schedule this week will allow for another one to Surrey.
stageybekah
Nominee

Post by stageybekah »

Hello- does anyone have a timetable or know the start/end stones of each day at GSA for actor-musks? Or any course. DD is trying to work around a part time job and joining societies but we already know GSA have different term dates to surrey (they have their own freshers to begin with, so it’s harder to make friends outside of the performing arts)?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

stageybekah wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:57 pm Hello- does anyone have a timetable or know the start/end stones of each day at GSA for actor-musks? Or any course. DD is trying to work around a part time job and joining societies but we already know GSA have different term dates to surrey (they have their own freshers to begin with, so it’s harder to make friends outside of the performing arts)?
Mine is just finishing 2nd year MT at GSA - I can't keep up with what hours she does, usually she goes in at 8am and finishes 6/7pm, sometimes an early finish / late start.
Many have part time jobs at weekends, mine does Princess parties and event waitressing, there are lots of job opportunities in Guildford.
She knows a fair few Actor Museos so she could ask for you if that's any help? I think they all mix very well within GSA, mine has friends in all years in all subjects, is she going into halls?
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

lotsolaffs wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:58 pm
stageybekah wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:57 pm Hello- does anyone have a timetable or know the start/end stones of each day at GSA for actor-musks? Or any course. DD is trying to work around a part time job and joining societies but we already know GSA have different term dates to surrey (they have their own freshers to begin with, so it’s harder to make friends outside of the performing arts)?
Mine is just finishing 2nd year MT at GSA - I can't keep up with what hours she does, usually she goes in at 8am and finishes 6/7pm, sometimes an early finish / late start.
Many have part time jobs at weekends, mine does Princess parties and event waitressing, there are lots of job opportunities in Guildford.
She knows a fair few Actor Museos so she could ask for you if that's any help? I think they all mix very well within GSA, mine has friends in all years in all subjects, is she going into halls?
Mine is just finishing 1st year MT and her hours are similar to lotsaloff's DD. Their timetables change every term. My DD works one day at the weekend as she finds working 2 days too much. She needs a day to do homework and washing etc! I agree with lotsaloff, there are loads of job opportunities in Guildford! If your DD is living in halls she will be able to make friends out side of performing arts as she will live with students from all kinds of subjects.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

lotsolaffs wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:58 pm
I asked for you and she said it varies but often extra rehearsals so sometimes longer hours than MT. She also might want to do GSA Choir which is open to all , they were just at West End Does Hollywood which was at Cadogan Hall . Lot's of rehearsals for that, mine was saying .
There is also GSA Singers who are 2nd year students, which you audition for and mine loves being in that but again is a lot of extra rehearsals.
MimisMum
Nominee

Post by MimisMum »

First time posting but have followed this site for a few years now and has been a great source of info!
My DD has a degree MT offer and has accepted it on November but more recently she has been put on Italia Conti and Arts Ed reserve list for BA MT at both. This has got her now wanted to wait for the slim chance of getting accepted at Arts Ed, her dream place to study.
Anyone got advice/experience of reserve lists…at either of these schools? DD is almost at a point she would defer a year and re audition….ahhh, hate all the waiting and the what ifs? TIA
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

MimisMum wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:31 pm First time posting but have followed this site for a few years now and has been a great source of info!
My DD has a degree MT offer and has accepted it on November but more recently she has been put on Italia Conti and Arts Ed reserve list for BA MT at both. This has got her now wanted to wait for the slim chance of getting accepted at Arts Ed, her dream place to study.
Anyone got advice/experience of reserve lists…at either of these schools? DD is almost at a point she would defer a year and re audition….ahhh, hate all the waiting and the what ifs? TIA
Hi, Has she been told where on the Arts Ed MT reserve list she is? Last year we knew someone who initially was told they were 3rd reserve, this later dropped to 6th and then they were told they'd not gained a place. I'm only aware of 1 person who got moved from reserve to BA MT at Arts Ed last year. Don't know any details re reserves at IC.
Not_MrsWorthington
BRIT Award

Post by Not_MrsWorthington »

Thank you so much, this is really helpful.

anastasia79 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:52 pm
jacsrab wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:40 am
anastasia79 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:46 pm

My daughter is almost at the end of her 1st year on the degree programme at Urdang. Today was the start of their 3rd ‘optional term’. It appears most do this term as it’s when they will be preparing for their summer showcase with the 2nd years. On top of the rehearsals there is a full daily schedule of classes and master classes with industry professionals that students sign up to attend. There are no additional costs for this. Whether they do the 3rd term would be entirely down to you both.
It does seem odd to have an 'optional' free third term .Frankly, it's shocking how few contact hours many degree courses require (not talking about Urdang here as I've no idea what they do) , some as few as 16 hours plus long holidays ! How on earth are performers supposed to improve, not like you're doing a history degree when you've a lot of reading to do ! My DD is on a 40 hour a week, 40 weeks a year course. It's exhausting but brilliant training.
It’s great to hear that your DD is getting that level of training. From my understanding it is classed as an ‘optional’ term as by the end of term 2 all the ‘required’ hours and degree assessments have been completed and submitted in May. The third term is just as intensive with daily masterclasses across all genres including show work preparation. All which is an essential part of their training.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

DD has confirmed that there is only one person in her current first year at ArtsEd who was on the reserve list and this was quite early on in the process. Seems there was no real movement once offers were made last year. But this year could be different as we know several lads with multiple offers who haven't made their final decision yet. Good luck to anyone still waiting on a place!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

I agree there could be movement soon. It's for Acting but DD has 2 funded foundation offers, she can only take one, so when she declines the other, someone will be moved off the reserve into her place.
MimisMum
Nominee

Post by MimisMum »

Thank you for your replies - DD did call Arts Ed and was told she could be top of the list but then maybe not! She was also told that there hasn’t been a year when all offers were accepted…hence her decision to sit on the fence right now. I think another phone call wouldn’t go amiss and see if she can establish where she is on the list would be handy!
DD 2nd choice where she has an offer has just slipped off her list for personal reasons…and we support that. Guess things happen for a reason..
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

I seem to recall that last year someone said that Arts Ed had over offered the year before (so current 2nd years) thinking that some would decline and no one did and for that reason they were more cautious of numbers last year to not end up with a larger class. It's always been a sought after school for MT so I should imagine that previously few have declined a place but this year who knows.

Similar with Conti, first year it's going to be at it's new premises, who knows how that will affect places accepted or declined too.
MimisMum
Nominee

Post by MimisMum »

DD has just received a phone call and email confirmation today with an offer for 3 years MT! So 2 firm offers which has now just made her even more determined to hang on for a response from Arts Ed!!😳🫣
MimisMum
Nominee

Post by MimisMum »

At Italia Conti
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

MimisMum wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:03 pm DD has just received a phone call and email confirmation today with an offer for 3 years MT! So 2 firm offers which has now just made her even more determined to hang on for a response from Arts Ed!!😳🫣
Congratulations to her. Do you have a deadline to pay any IC deposit to hold the place?