Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Not_MrsWorthington
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by Not_MrsWorthington »

A bit inexperienced on here hope this works!! I have a question on the Urdang 'optional 3rd term' please if anyone can help - how exactly does it work for Y1 and Y2 for degree? Thinking about training, accommodation, agent (is it worth trying to keep them for work in that third term?), costs etc. Thank you.

Dillydaffy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:15 pm
Moonfaery8 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:13 pm
Dillydaffy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:57 am So,have read a couple of things about Urdang, and hoped I could get some clarification and honest replies here….
1- that the final year is only 2 terms, then you choose whether or not to spend the 3rd term doing the showcase/shows etc…..
2- that if you do, that 3rd term is an extra cost…..
3- that, in fact, all 3 years only consist of 2 terms worth of teaching, so you only get 6 terms of teaching as opposed to 9…….

Any clarification GREATLY received!!
Thanks
My understanding is there is no additional cost for the third term. I was told this by admissions when my dd started in September.
It is optional and I think they just sign up for the classes they want to do? There is also a showcase. Maybe there is additional cost with some of the masterclasses? Can anyone with dc’s in 2nd/3rd year clarify?
I was assured that they get the right quota of contact hours for a degree within the first 2 terms each year. She started at the end of August so I think the terms are a bit longer than other places.
They are not running the diploma next year.
So this makes much more sense. !! Thanks Moonfaery.
Although it still seems odd to have ‘optional’ terms…… I wonder why? (still trying to make sense of so many things here!! )
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Not_MrsWorthington wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:39 pm A bit inexperienced on here hope this works!! I have a question on the Urdang 'optional 3rd term' please if anyone can help - how exactly does it work for Y1 and Y2 for degree? Thinking about training, accommodation, agent (is it worth trying to keep them for work in that third term?), costs etc. Thank you.

Moonfaery8 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:13 pm

My understanding is there is no additional cost for the third term. I was told this by admissions when my dd started in September.
It is optional and I think they just sign up for the classes they want to do? There is also a showcase. Maybe there is additional cost with some of the masterclasses? Can anyone with dc’s in 2nd/3rd year clarify?
I was assured that they get the right quota of contact hours for a degree within the first 2 terms each year. She started at the end of August so I think the terms are a bit longer than other places.
They are not running the diploma next year.
Although it still seems odd to have ‘optional’ terms…… I wonder why? (still trying to make sense of so many things here!! )

My daughter is almost at the end of her 1st year on the degree programme at Urdang. Today was the start of their 3rd ‘optional term’. It appears most do this term as it’s when they will be preparing for their summer showcase with the 2nd years. On top of the rehearsals there is a full daily schedule of classes and master classes with industry professionals that students sign up to attend. There are no additional costs for this. Whether they do the 3rd term would be entirely down to you both.
canadianJo
BRIT Award

Post by canadianJo »

Hello! My daughter and her roommates have one more room available in the 4 bedroom house they're hoping to rent for the fall. It's walking distance to Mountview, they're 2 actor muses and 1 MT. They've posted elsewhere, but thought I'd try here in case anyone is looking :) Message me for details
zoorangerman
Nominee

Post by zoorangerman »

Anyone else waiting for news regarding a DaDa from Laine?

We received a rather confusing email about 3 weeks again explaining about about their talent list and dd was not high enough to be awarded a DaDa yet but more were to be offered.

Fortunately she does have a foundation offer elsewhere but it would be nice to know where she is going.

Anyone else heard anything in the last couple of week?
jacsrab
BRIT Award

Post by jacsrab »

anastasia79 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:46 pm
Not_MrsWorthington wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:39 pm A bit inexperienced on here hope this works!! I have a question on the Urdang 'optional 3rd term' please if anyone can help - how exactly does it work for Y1 and Y2 for degree? Thinking about training, accommodation, agent (is it worth trying to keep them for work in that third term?), costs etc. Thank you.

My daughter is almost at the end of her 1st year on the degree programme at Urdang. Today was the start of their 3rd ‘optional term’. It appears most do this term as it’s when they will be preparing for their summer showcase with the 2nd years. On top of the rehearsals there is a full daily schedule of classes and master classes with industry professionals that students sign up to attend. There are no additional costs for this. Whether they do the 3rd term would be entirely down to you both.
It does seem odd to have an 'optional' free third term .Frankly, it's shocking how few contact hours many degree courses require (not talking about Urdang here as I've no idea what they do) , some as few as 16 hours plus long holidays ! How on earth are performers supposed to improve, not like you're doing a history degree when you've a lot of reading to do ! My DD is on a 40 hour a week, 40 weeks a year course. It's exhausting but brilliant training.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

I *thought* degree courses at drama schools had to have x amount of contact hours (30 rings a bell) because this makes them eligible for something (spotlight??). It's a few years since the discussion came up but I vaguely remember hours being discussed at the time. This is unlike acting/MT courses at Unis where the contact hours do tend to be less.

For many, finances very much come into it and going down the student loan route is the only option available to make it affordable. We live in the North, living at home and commuting isn't a possibility, nor do we have any conveniently located relatives living near any drama school to send DD to. Finding tuition costs, rent and every penny of living costs isn't always manageable. The DC can't always work in term time due to the contact hours. My DD has done a 6 month foundation that we funded, thanks to a windfall, but we couldn't have continued this way and it's had a knock on effect of what she can apply to going forward. Thankfully her latest offer is with finance though we will still have to contribute as the min loan she will receive isn't enough to pay her rent. A friend of mine her DS has recently got an offer at a good school but doesn't offer degree. They're ineligible for support, but he has turned down being on the reserve list at a fully funded thru student loans place. They'll manage even if it's tight, but DD in that position we would have had to say she couldn't take the offer and would have to hope she came off the reserve list.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Degree courses - I can only speak for Urdang where my daughter is and I can say that the contact hours that she does significantly exceeds the required hours to qualify for a degree programme. Many days she starts her first class at 8:30am and does not finish her day until 6, sometimes she ends at 7pm. An ‘easy day would be a 9am start with a 4pm finish which is very rare. By the time they get to their 3rd term, they have already done way more than the required hours. Not only does she have academic essays and presentations to complete she has all her other dance, music and acting classes. They also have less holidays, with their term starting the first week of September and ending on July 10th.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

jacsrab wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:40 am
anastasia79 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:46 pm

It does seem odd to have an 'optional' free third term .Frankly, it's shocking how few contact hours many degree courses require (not talking about Urdang here as I've no idea what they do) , some as few as 16 hours plus long holidays ! How on earth are performers supposed to improve, not like you're doing a history degree when you've a lot of reading to do ! My DD is on a 40 hour a week, 40 weeks a year course. It's exhausting but brilliant training.
It’s great to hear that your DD is getting that level of training. From my understanding it is classed as an ‘optional’ term as by the end of term 2 all the ‘required’ hours and degree assessments have been completed and submitted in May. The third term is just as intensive with daily masterclasses across all genres including show work preparation. All which is an essential part of their training.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

DD has just been offered IC foundation. She now has 2 funded foundations to choose from.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

lawn wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:49 pm DD has just been offered IC foundation. She now has 2 funded foundations to choose from.
Congratulations to her!!! There is nothing better than having choices.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

anastasia79 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:25 pm
lawn wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:49 pm DD has just been offered IC foundation. She now has 2 funded foundations to choose from.
Congratulations to her!!! There is nothing better than having choices.
Thank you. She's never been to either place. 1 was audition in RL but was held at their other campus. The 2nd conducted over Zoom.

Arrgghhh, we had this last year she accepted then later turned down a degree offer for somewhere because at their open day she didn't get a 'vibe'
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

Well done lawn's dd! Although it was for MT, my dd loved the vibe of Conti, very relaxed in the interview but the dance call was intense which is what she wanted. All the students were very welcoming and she felt a great atmosphere throughout her recall. The centre in Woking is obviously brand new, in the middle of a new shopping centre which may seem a bit weird but handy for lunch and lots of great restaurants/pubs near by. Really easy for the station. My concern was the lack of student housing in Woking, but there's loads in Guildford and it's so close to the station so would be easy. She says she would be more than happy there though we're still trying to get the money together for GSA! Best of luck to you and your dd for the decision making process!
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

mrs_lovett wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:39 pm Well done lawn's dd! Although it was for MT, my dd loved the vibe of Conti, very relaxed in the interview but the dance call was intense which is what she wanted. All the students were very welcoming and she felt a great atmosphere throughout her recall. The centre in Woking is obviously brand new, in the middle of a new shopping centre which may seem a bit weird but handy for lunch and lots of great restaurants/pubs near by. Really easy for the station. My concern was the lack of student housing in Woking, but there's loads in Guildford and it's so close to the station so would be easy. She says she would be more than happy there though we're still trying to get the money together for GSA! Best of luck to you and your dd for the decision making process!
Sorry to be nosey, but you said “we’re still trying to get the money together for GSA”. My dd wants to audition there next year and I thought it was a straight student loan payment, have I got this wrong and it’s more expensive? Oldest dd is at Wilkes but youngest not wanting such a dance based MT course so GSA was one of her choices, worried now it may not be an option.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:02 pm
mrs_lovett wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:39 pm Well done lawn's dd! Although it was for MT, my dd loved the vibe of Conti, very relaxed in the interview but the dance call was intense which is what she wanted. All the students were very welcoming and she felt a great atmosphere throughout her recall. The centre in Woking is obviously brand new, in the middle of a new shopping centre which may seem a bit weird but handy for lunch and lots of great restaurants/pubs near by. Really easy for the station. My concern was the lack of student housing in Woking, but there's loads in Guildford and it's so close to the station so would be easy. She says she would be more than happy there though we're still trying to get the money together for GSA! Best of luck to you and your dd for the decision making process!
Sorry to be nosey, but you said “we’re still trying to get the money together for GSA”. My dd wants to audition there next year and I thought it was a straight student loan payment, have I got this wrong and it’s more expensive? Oldest dd is at Wilkes but youngest not wanting such a dance based MT course so GSA was one of her choices, worried now it may not be an option.
GSA degree course is fully funded by student finance. The foundation course is privately funded.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Harry2003 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:09 pm
MygirlsloveMT wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:02 pm
GSA degree course is fully funded by student finance. The foundation course is privately funded.
Phew! Thought I was going to have some explaining to do to dd then! Thanks Harry2003 x