Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by MTDreams »

lawn wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:12 pm Daughter has been offered East fifteen foundation. She's an actor rather than MT. She's still got 1 or 2 other things to consider but will possibly be taking.
Oooh congrats to your DD!
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

DD had a fabulous audition day at SOTE for their Foundation in Musical Theatre. They've got great progression and she felt so at home there, so she is no longer applying for GSA Foundation. There was lots of interaction and feedback during the day. If anyone is still looking for a good foundation, definitely worth a look. :D
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

lawn wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:12 pm Daughter has been offered East fifteen foundation. She's an actor rather than MT. She's still got 1 or 2 other things to consider but will possibly be taking.
That’s great news, congratulations!
stageybekah
Nominee

Post by stageybekah »

MTDreams wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:19 pm
stageybekah wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:44 pm Hello! Just wondering if any has a kit list for GSA MT/AM? Either this year or last year? Unsure to rebuy things now while there cheaper and in stock, or wait it out. Or if anyone has a timetable for AM?

Alternatively, does anyone know if GSA do open days? AM offer has been accepted but due to covid they only got to see the building at their recalls so didn’t quite get a fell for the place or a chance to look around
GSA open days are on at the same time as Surrey Uni have theirs. I think if you go on the website you can register for one. Not sure when the next ones are though. My DD does MT and the uniform is basically all black, nothing with big logos on. Apart from her dance wear, she generally wears black tracksuit bottoms and shorts, and black tank tops/vest tops/ gym wear. Not sure if AM have a slightly different kit list but I can see if my DD can send me hers if you like?
We really wanted a tour of the inside GSA building, and Surrey only did campus tours of stag hill campus unfortunately. If you could send over her kit list that would be great, as I’m sure the two courses overlap a lot in uniform!
Apple
Nominee

Post by Apple »

2good2hurry wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:22 pm DD had a fabulous audition day at SOTE for their Foundation in Musical Theatre. They've got great progression and she felt so at home there, so she is no longer applying for GSA Foundation. There was lots of interaction and feedback during the day. If anyone is still looking for a good foundation, definitely worth a look. :D
Can I ask what is SOTE? I do t recognise the abbreviation! Thanks
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Apple wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:45 pm
2good2hurry wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:22 pm DD had a fabulous audition day at SOTE for their Foundation in Musical Theatre. They've got great progression and she felt so at home there, so she is no longer applying for GSA Foundation. There was lots of interaction and feedback during the day. If anyone is still looking for a good foundation, definitely worth a look. :D
Can I ask what is SOTE? I do t recognise the abbreviation! Thanks
School of Theatre Excellence
https://www.sote.co.uk/
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

MTDreams wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:19 pm
Oooh congrats to your DD!
Thank you.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Ditzi wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:47 pm
That’s great news, congratulations!
Thank you.

I thought I'd say something re straight acting as a few of the last posts have been about it. There are just not as many places for Acting than there are for MT. In addition the schools tend to like them older with 'life experience' Getting in at 18 is not the usual.

Also now having to audition via self tape has made it harder. DD got a recall for a very well regarded school. The 2nd audition was STILL a self tape (she got rejected after that). We also were told of another frequently discussed on here school who saw their MT auditionees in person, but their Acting ones had to send in a tape.

I know my DD does better in person - her recent offer was from an actual audition day and is only the 2nd RL acting audition she's ever had in 2 years of trying, last year she also got further if it was a Zoom call rather than a self tape. It makes it all the more frustrating that the process has changed since the pandemic. However I can't see it changing because there are so many more applicants paying the audition fee as it eliminates the cost of travel. accommodation as well as time, but it does mean there's far more people chasing these few places. Daughter has been told by a well known school that if you're not offered a BA Acting by your 4th attempt to do something else, which tells me they're aware of how many times it can take before you possibly get a yes. In fact some drama schools only allow candidates to audition a max of 3 times, BOV being one of them and Guildhall had the same rule until this year.

I'm not trying to put people off, but just making them aware, so they can discuss with their child if they want to do this so much they're prepared that it might take a few years to get in.

Not all is lost though. Daughter finished her most recent drama course and within a couple of weeks had got an acting job, immersive tourist attraction work but is learning loads 'on the job', things that can't be taught in a classroom setting and with a different live audience every 20 minutes or so.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Thank you. Found my answer.
Last edited by Marissa on Wed May 18, 2022 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stageybekah
Nominee

Post by stageybekah »

Dillydaffy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:19 pm
jazz_hands wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:57 pm We’ve made our decision and gone for Bird too. I would be interested to know of any uniform list too and are we able to get a Bird hoodie or anything like that?
Ah that’s great jazz hands- is yours a Dd or Ds? 😆
Congratulations!
Quick Q as I’m new here, but what do all the DD and DS mean? What do they stand for haha I have no clue!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

stageybekah wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:20 pm
Dillydaffy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:19 pm
jazz_hands wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:57 pm We’ve made our decision and gone for Bird too. I would be interested to know of any uniform list too and are we able to get a Bird hoodie or anything like that?
Congratulations!
Quick Q as I’m new here, but what do all the DD and DS mean? What do they stand for haha I have no clue!

darling daughter/darling daughter
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

stageybekah wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:20 pm
Congratulations!
[/quote]

[/quote]

DS = Darling Son
DD = Darling Daughter
DC = Darling Child(ren)
Busymum23
Nominee

Post by Busymum23 »

Could anybody help please?
My niece has just accepted her diploma place at Bird, as she will only be 16 it says she has to live with a host family.
When my DD started at Laine a couple of years ago she was also 16 but lived at Norwich House which worked really well as she didn't want to live with a host family. Are Bird very strict about their rules for 16 year olds? Anybody have any recommendations please as Bird have said they will release host family details in a few months and obviously they want to get sorted earlier than that.
LizzyBee
BRIT Award

Post by LizzyBee »

Just looking ahead to the 2023 audition cycle and thinking of choices, and how to make the best use of the next few months in terms of training.

- top choices are RWCMD, GSA, Mountview but given how competitive they are to get in, we want to put some other good options down too, so considering which other 4 places to put down on UCAS.

Shortlist

Central
Urdang
Italia Conti
London College of Music
Brighton Academy

For those who have successfully auditioned this year or already training at these places, what sort of standard of dance do you need? Also for places like Urdang, is there any disadvantage to being on an actor singer track when it comes to securing agents? Just wondered if the agents are looking mostly for brilliant dancers when they look at Urdang and an actor-singer wouldn't be what they were looking for?

TIA
LizzyBee
BRIT Award

Post by LizzyBee »

Just looking ahead to the 2023 audition cycle and thinking of choices, and how to make the best use of the next few months in terms of training.

- top choices are RWCMD, GSA, Mountview but given how competitive they are to get in, we want to put some other good options down too, so considering which other 4 places to put down on UCAS.

Shortlist

Central
Urdang
Italia Conti
London College of Music
Brighton Academy

For those who have successfully auditioned this year or already training at these places, what sort of standard of dance do you need? Also for places like Urdang, is there any disadvantage to being on an actor singer track when it comes to securing agents? Just wondered if the agents are looking mostly for brilliant dancers when they look at Urdang and an actor-singer wouldn't be what they were looking for?

TIA