Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by islandofsodor »

amo185 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:57 pm That's great news islandofsodor! DD also heard this week that she has place on the NYMT mentoring scheme. She's over the moon! I bet your ds is too. Maybe they're on the same show!

That’s fantastic for your Dd too. I’ve sent you a message.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

DS completely fell in love with GSA yesterday! It’s going to be a tense wait until we hear.
jazz_hands
BRIT Award

Post by jazz_hands »

Harry2003 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:35 am DS completely fell in love with GSA yesterday! It’s going to be a tense wait until we hear.
I hope you don’t have too long to wait. We are still pending from auditions sent first week of Jan. Do you know if they have many recall dates left?
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

jazz_hands wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:48 am
Harry2003 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:35 am DS completely fell in love with GSA yesterday! It’s going to be a tense wait until we hear.
I hope you don’t have too long to wait. We are still pending from auditions sent first week of Jan. Do you know if they have many recall dates left?
They were told yesterday that it is taking such a long time to get through audition tapes as it’s only one person looking at the dance audition and he only has so much time to do it. I think they have had far more applications than they were anticipating. We know other people who are also waiting on hearing if they have a recall - they definitely have more recall dates coming up but I don’t know how many or if they will just add more if they need to. They are looking for 22 people in total on MT course. DS said it was his favourite audition EVER!
Redwire
Nominee

Post by Redwire »

We’re in the same boat, for BA Acting though. Tapes went in first week of January and nothing back yet. Son emailed a couple of weeks ago and they said his tapes were still queued for review. It’s tough because virtually all of his other recalls are done, just waiting for the results now!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Harry2003 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:07 am
They were told yesterday that it is taking such a long time to get through audition tapes as it’s only one person looking at the dance audition and he only has so much time to do it. I think they have had far more applications than they were anticipating. We know other people who are also waiting on hearing if they have a recall - they definitely have more recall dates coming up but I don’t know how many or if they will just add more if they need to. They are looking for 22 people in total on MT course. DS said it was his favourite audition EVER!
Think this is another issue with self tapes and the drama schools knew last year it attracted a lot more applicants than if you've also got to spare the time and money to audition in person. Add in there's less spaces than previously and the number of applicants to places is going to be very high!

Redwire - Is this your son's first year of applying for BA acting?
Redwire
Nominee

Post by Redwire »

lawn wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:07 pm

Hi, yes it is, so it’s all new to us! The waiting is such a nightmare isn’t it! He’s waiting to hear the results from his final recalls at MST, LIPA, and Leeds Conservatoire. He’s on the reserve list for Birmingham Conservatoire, and has an unconditional from Plymouth Conservatoire. He’s got a second round Musical Theatre recall at RWCMD in a couple of weeks, and still radio silence from GSA! 😄
Am already hoping my 10-year-old daughter decides to do a history or English degree instead!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Redwire wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:42 pm

Hi, yes it is, so it’s all new to us! The waiting is such a nightmare isn’t it! He’s waiting to hear the results from his final recalls at MST, LIPA, and Leeds Conservatoire. He’s on the reserve list for Birmingham Conservatoire, and has an unconditional from Plymouth Conservatoire. He’s got a second round Musical Theatre recall at RWCMD in a couple of weeks, and still radio silence from GSA! 😄
Am already hoping my 10-year-old daughter decides to do a history or English degree instead!
He's done well if he's straight from sixth form. BA acting courses at drama schools frequently want older applicants with 'life experience' plus there's less spaces available. Mine is in her 2nd year of applying. Last year she had an offer from Central but for performance art rather than acting, foundation offers for Read college and PPA, the latter then changed to degree which she was 5 weeks away from starting when she came of the reserve list for foundation at Rose Bruford which she took. It cost us £500 in lost deposit due to changed plans and I'm only glad we hadn't signed on the dotted line for her rental!
Redwire
Nominee

Post by Redwire »

lawn wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:16 am
Redwire wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:42 pm

He's done well if he's straight from sixth form. BA acting courses at drama schools frequently want older applicants with 'life experience' plus there's less spaces available. Mine is in her 2nd year of applying. Last year she had an offer from Central but for performance art rather than acting, foundation offers for Read college and PPA, the latter then changed to degree which she was 5 weeks away from starting when she came of the reserve list for foundation at Rose Bruford which she took. It cost us £500 in lost deposit due to changed plans and I'm only glad we hadn't signed on the dotted line for her rental!
Thank you! Yes - he’s in the upper sixth at the moment, albeit finding it pretty hard to concentrate on his A Levels because of how often he’s checking his emails to see if there’s any news yet!
The waiting is just awful isn’t it - I did a standard English degree, so it was just a case of predicted grades, quick interview and an offer in the bag… but this is an altogether different animal isn’t it! We just want to know what’s happening so he can sort out accommodation and things like that. I can’t imagine your situation last year with such a last minute change of plans! 😱
I’ve been reading here for a little while and it feels like everyone has a much better idea of how it all works than we do! 😆
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

It seems that Arts Ed have changed their recall part of the audition recently from what I had understood it to be. As I understood it, the recall consisted of a carousel type affair where the candidates did a session each on monologues, songs, physical check and interview.

DS had quite a different experience where they seemed to have an extended dance call in the morning then the afternoon just consisted of monologues and songs. He was then told he would be emailed if he was to be recalled for interview. He got an email yesterday (6 days later) and has a zoom interview today. It seems a more sensible way to do it, I just wondered if that’s been everyone’s experience this year or whether an unusual situation arose at DS audition day.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Hmmm interesting-DS’ friends definitely had the day where there was a cut at lunchtime then 6 kept for interview. Did they all stay all day or was there a still a cut at lunchtime? Odd they haven’t all had same format.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Proseccoplease wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:32 am Hmmm interesting-DS’ friends definitely had the day where there was a cut at lunchtime then 6 kept for interview. Did they all stay all day or was there a still a cut at lunchtime? Odd they haven’t all had same format.
Yes they had a cut at lunchtime and 3 were invited to the afternoon recall. They did dance and song in the morning. Just the afternoon seemed different to what I was expecting.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Congratulations to your DS! Fingers crossed for him!
FiFiD
BRIT Award

Post by FiFiD »

How long does the morning session last? My DD still has hers to go and I’m meeting her after, she’s convinced she’ll be cut then! She’s basing this on her friend’s experiences there, who know what they want! 🤷‍♀️
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Proseccoplease wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:20 am Congratulations to your DS! Fingers crossed for him!
Thank you! 🤞🤞