Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by lawn »

lotsolaffs wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:46 pm
zoorangerman wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:33 pm
FiFiD wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:44 pm Has anyone had any DADA or funding responses from Laines?
Anyone know when these go out? We were led to believe May, but hearing rumours people have just got them?
Yes I think it will be may, thats what we’ve heard and that’s when they’ve been always done it in the past. I can’t possibly see how they can start now as they still have one round of audition dates to go unless it’s to a small number of very talented applicants that they know they want irrespective of what happens in the next group of auditions. I know other colleges do this, but didn’t think Laine did.
In your letter of acceptance you get
a place no DADA audition.
a place with DADA audition.
a place with DADA no other audition needed.
We had a place with DADA audition but didn't bother going as had offer from GSA
We know 2 boys who got the DADA no further audition needed.
That was 2 years ago so may have changed - as parents we are led to believe that DADA's are given out like sweeties, that definitely isn't the case.
We know a boy who last year got a place at Laine with Dada no further audition (though they decided to go elsewhere in the end), so I'm guessing that still happens this year too.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I know it’s music not not MT but after what seems like a really long wait Ds has been offered a place at Leeds Conservatoire. He’s been offered BAHons with Foundation Year.

He’s already been offered BIMM, LCCM & Confetti on their 3 year courses and has an audition coming up at Salford he’s turned BIMM down & is pretty sure he will turn Confetti down too. But he’s really stick on which of the others to choose.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

islandofsodor wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:30 am I know it’s music not not MT but after what seems like a really long wait Ds has been offered a place at Leeds Conservatoire. He’s been offered BAHons with Foundation Year.

He’s already been offered BIMM, LCCM & Confetti on their 3 year courses and has an audition coming up at Salford he’s turned BIMM down & is pretty sure he will turn Confetti down too. But he’s really stick on which of the others to choose.
Tough one, I'd say wait until he has his salford audition and the outcome and how he feels about there, so he has all his cards on the table before making a decision.

When daughter was faced with a choice of 2 places last year - dream school, wrong degree or a lesser known school we made her list pros and cons of both to make her decision.

How does he feel about the offer of a degree with foundation year versus straight onto 3 year degree? My older one did degree with foundation year (not PA or music). I can't say I was thrilled (was due to poor sixth form results, he'd attended an institute I'd not been keen on him going to) as I knew it meant we would now have an additional year of funding him and it would mean an overlap with his younger sister needing help after she finished college, which has been this year and we've found it tough going (daughter taking a last minute unfunded foundation contributed to that though!). I also hold my breath each year that he will get onto the following year of the degree, especially if he's missed the deadline of any final assignments (which has also happened) because I believe he used his 'gift year' of a degree course upfront and wouldn't have the funding if he needed to repeat a year. On the positive side it has given him that further year to mature and become independent and though no-one could have predicted this did mean that he didn't spend the final 50% of his degree in a pandemic solely learning on-line unlike his peers that started at the same time.

Then there's where would he prefer to be located, ease of getting home, job opportunities, part time work outside studies available, living costs inc rent against his loan.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

The degree with foundation Year could be really good for him. There were several places he couldn't apply to this year because he only started playing his instrument aged 14 and some places want Grade 8. Ds has reached Grade 7 standard but with some technique issues he is working hard to address, lockdown piano lessons and multiple cancelled lessons due to isolations hindered his progress. Leeds Foundation Year is designed to get students up to that standard of playing required. The other places he has applied to/has been offered ask for approx Grade 6/7 standard.

He loved Salford at the Open day but they only offer 1:1 instrument lessons in the first two years. Also lower contact hours. He really likes the idea of being in London, LCCM was a smaller, not as well known contemporary music college that seemed friendly and higher standards than BIMM. But what he really wants to move into is playing in the pit/MDing for Musical Theatre and the fact Leeds has an MT course on site with collaboration opportunites, also they do an MA in Musical Direction.

Leeds accommodation is expensive, Salford is cheap and the facilities are great, it's also half an hour away from home. London is mega expensive but his loan amount will be slightly higher. His sister is currently at drama school on an MA in London. Like you I hadn't thought they would be studying at the same time but covid and her being accepted onto the two year MA not the one year put paid to that.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Yes, I know Leeds accommodation is expensive.. I know several people whose kids are living at home and commuting from our town to study there because of the cost. Older one had an offer from on of the Unis there. Cheapest Uni halls were 50% above his min loan. He had his offer withdrawn in the end due to the sixth form results and thankfully went somewhere a lot cheaper.

It does sound like the extra year would be beneficial to him. We are aware of someone who trained at Leeds a long time ago (80s) and does work creating MT/music but for the leisure industry. There were also some positive comments above about how they allow students to take on work whilst training (talking about MT/acting but no reason to think it wouldn't apply elsewhere)

Is sharing accommodation with sister an option if he goes to London and would it reduce costs? I know in a lot of cases it doesn't because you pay per person.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

She's in a house share at the moment and as you say it is per person per room. Also his commute would be bad from where she lives and her commute would be very tricky from where he needs to be.

He has a lot to think about.
Littleone
BRIT Award

Post by Littleone »

Hi Islandofsodor - I've sent you a Pm :)
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

He got offered Salford on the spot but they also offered him another course as well and urged him to also consider that one (a more instrumental performance based course).

I'm fairly sure he is going to choose Leeds Conservatoire though.
Clairecm1076
Nominee

Post by Clairecm1076 »

islandofsodor wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:58 pm He got offered Salford on the spot but they also offered him another course as well and urged him to also consider that one (a more instrumental performance based course).

I'm fairly sure he is going to choose Leeds Conservatoire though.
Have you looked at the Unipol Mill Street accommodation in Leeds, it is only 2 mins walk from Leeds Conservatoire. My DD is going to be living there from Sept
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

We are going to consider Joseph Stones House & One Mill Street.
Clairecm1076
Nominee

Post by Clairecm1076 »

islandofsodor wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:28 am We are going to consider Joseph Stones House & One Mill Street.
We were very impressed with One Mill Street
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Based on the fact that the kitchens have proper washing machines and my daughter's experience of poor, expensive hall laundries I think he'll sava a fortune on that alone!

Another fantastic piece of news though, he's been offered a place on the NYMT creative mentoring scheme. He applied to NYMT last year and was declined so good things come to those who wait!
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

That's great news islandofsodor! DD also heard this week that she has place on the NYMT mentoring scheme. She's over the moon! I bet your ds is too. Maybe they're on the same show!
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

DS has been cast in Kiss for Cinderella and also over the moon! Nice to get a yes after a bunch of drama school no’s. Maybe they will all get to meet 😊
LizzyBee
BRIT Award

Post by LizzyBee »

Has anyone done a RWCMD MT recall yet? It starts with what they say is a movement workshop so not sure if to go full on dance leo & tights or dress more for a drama movement style - just seeing if anyone has done it so can make a decision!