Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by Harry2003 »

amo185 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:24 pm Regarding ArtsEd - DD is in her first year at ArtsEd and she says in her view everyone is a good singer/actor - good technique - and can take direction. But they are all shapes and sizes, all ethnicities, all ages and include some very strong and versatile dancers. At 18 she is one of the youngest - the oldest is 26 she thinks and some have auditioned a couple of times to get in. No one has worked out what the panel are looking for - but she's in awe of everyone! She doesn't know but wonders if those years of ballet and her legit singing helped her get a place...plus auditioning early! She'll never know!
The auditions did go ahead on March 1st - four of DD's EDA friends auditioned that day - but they got curtailed on the day due to a power cut!
DD says she is sure there is now an early cut after the initial song and dance section - another cut after first recall - then interviews - so three parts rather than two? Also some students are further recalled to come back and sing again a few weeks later. Only a few places have been offered so far.
No idea if that helps at all (probably not!) I think you just have to try to enjoy the experience - and if you're going along as a parent enjoy wandering around Chiswick. Hope you all hear soon! Good luck to everyone! It's an amazing place to train.
Interested to hear auditions went ahead on 1 March. My son was told they were cancelled and his was rescheduled straight away, he’s also at EDA.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

In fact, interesting is the wrong word - more like appalled if they cancelled them and then let some audition anyway.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Maybe later audition slots were not cancelled? Good that they rescheduled your DS's straightaway but I feel for all those affected this week by the tube strikes - especially those trying to get to auditions or whose auditions were postponed both for college places or for shows. Good luck to your DS Harry2003.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

amo185 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:08 pm Maybe later audition slots were not cancelled? Good that they rescheduled your DS's straightaway but I feel for all those affected this week by the tube strikes - especially those trying to get to auditions or whose auditions were postponed both for college places or for shows. Good luck to your DS Harry2003.
Thank you. It certainly highlights how resilient these young people need to be.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

amo185 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:24 pm Regarding ArtsEd - DD is in her first year at ArtsEd and she says in her view everyone is a good singer/actor - good technique - and can take direction. But they are all shapes and sizes, all ethnicities, all ages and include some very strong and versatile dancers. At 18 she is one of the youngest - the oldest is 26 she thinks and some have auditioned a couple of times to get in. No one has worked out what the panel are looking for - but she's in awe of everyone! She doesn't know but wonders if those years of ballet and her legit singing helped her get a place...plus auditioning early! She'll never know!
The auditions did go ahead on March 1st - four of DD's EDA friends auditioned that day - but they got curtailed on the day due to a power cut!
DD says she is sure there is now an early cut after the initial song and dance section - another cut after first recall - then interviews - so three parts rather than two? Also some students are further recalled to come back and sing again a few weeks later. Only a few places have been offered so far.
No idea if that helps at all (probably not!) I think you just have to try to enjoy the experience - and if you're going along as a parent enjoy wandering around Chiswick. Hope you all hear soon! Good luck to everyone! It's an amazing place to train.
I think DS wondered if he’d be doing his opening night by candlelight…😆so good to hear your dd is so happy at Arts-ds would absolutely love to get a place there for degree. The uncertainty is a killer!
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

FiFiD wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:38 pm That’s amazing, congratulations to your DD❤️ What sort of performer is she, is she more of actor, singer or dancer?
I believe they have a very small intake so that’s an incredible achievement.

Thank you, She is of a similar level in each I would say although she favours singing. My eldest is also graduating this year from Artsed.
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

Proseccoplease wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:21 pm
go for it wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:58 pm
FiFiD wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:19 pm Ok thanks…. and the million dollar question, anyone know what they are after this year? All we’ve heard is they like older, is this true?? My DD will be 18 and looks young 🤦‍♀️
My DD auditioned during half term. A cut at 1pm then again at about 5 with just a few recalled for interview. She received an email after 10 days offering her a place. She is still 17, not 18 until August so I wouldn’t worry about the age.
Congratulations! That’s a huge achievement for your dd! Is she taking it? As a bonus Chiswick is lovely 😊

Thank you, she has an offer from Urdang also but Artsed was her top choice so she will accept it. good luck to your DD
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

My DD auditioned during half term. A cut at 1pm then again at about 5 with just a few recalled for interview. She received an email after 10 days offering her a place. She is still 17, not 18 until August so I wouldn’t worry about the age.
Congratulations to your DD. Fantastic news and so lovely to get first choice college. We still don’t know what DS first choice is - he’s just saying ‘I won’t know until I’ve done all the recalls’.
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

zoorangerman wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:56 am Was anyone at Urdang on Sunday? How was it? I’ve heard it was very busy, even more than normal, as a previous date was cancelled. Not hearing of many offers from Urdang being given either. Sounds like recalls are the same as the original auditions, they’re just not sure about you and want to see you again. Does that sound right?
When DD went the first Sunday in January there were 175 at Urdang. Both the boys that she is at college with got Urdang, but they were both also offered Bird and have taken that. One girl in her course and two on the foundation at her college have been offered Urdang.
Though from her college they auditioned in person not through self tapes.

We have heard that Conti will be shortly setting up a Facebook group for all those who accept offers so they can start to interact and think about accommodation.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Mountview recall info just come through - exciting!
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

Harry2003 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:54 am
Congratulations to your DD. Fantastic news and so lovely to get first choice college. We still don’t know what DS first choice is - he’s just saying ‘I won’t know until I’ve done all the recalls’.
Thank you and all the very best to your DS for his Mountview recall.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

go for it wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:32 pm
Harry2003 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:54 am
Thank you and all the very best to your DS for his Mountview recall.
Thank you - got everything crossed 🤣🤣
LizzyBee
BRIT Award

Post by LizzyBee »

Royal Welsh for MT

Anyone know about the MT degree at Royal Welsh that can share any useful info about the course, studying in Cardiff and the recall? DD has a recall coming up and liked the panel she met on first round over zoom.

Tia
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Hope your dd's recall goes well for Royal Welsh. Last year was their first year of offering a BA Hons and the initial auditions were tapes and recalls were online - so possibly not many people can share an up to date experience unless they have already had their recall this year. DD very much enjoyed her recall last year (two full songs and monologues plus an interview/discussion) and they were very complimentary about everything she did - but she wasn't offered a place - no surprise as it's a very small cohort (and the course would not have suited her and not enough dancing). A family friend studied classical singing there and loved it and we thought Cardiff was a wonderful place when dd danced at the Millenium Centre there - we stayed at the Travelodge. DD's college friend (experienced professional actress with a good voice) deferred her place from last year so may go this year.. I think it could be a really great place to train. Good luck!
LizzyBee
BRIT Award

Post by LizzyBee »

amo185 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:04 pm Hope your dd's recall goes well for Royal Welsh. Last year was their first year of offering a BA Hons and the initial auditions were tapes and recalls were online - so possibly not many people can share an up to date experience unless they have already had their recall this year. DD very much enjoyed her recall last year (two full songs and monologues plus an interview/discussion) and they were very complimentary about everything she did - but she wasn't offered a place - no surprise as it's a very small cohort (and the course would not have suited her and not enough dancing). A family friend studied classical singing there and loved it and we thought Cardiff was a wonderful place when dd danced at the Millenium Centre there - we stayed at the Travelodge. DD's college friend (experienced professional actress with a good voice) deferred her place from last year so may go this year.. I think it could be a really great place to train. Good luck!
Thank you! I think it may not offer enough dance but will go and find out more as recalls are in person this time. I’m sure their vocal training will be top notch