Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Moonfaery8
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by Moonfaery8 »

josegirl wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:29 pm Some great news my DD was offered on day place at Performers Birmingham . What a relief as this was her first choice . Good luck to everyone ⭐️
Congratulations to your dd 😊
josegirl
BRIT Award

Post by josegirl »

Dancersmum1 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:04 am Oh fantastic news congrats to your DD! It’s my DDs top choice too!😀
Thank you good luck to your DD 🍀🍀
josegirl
BRIT Award

Post by josegirl »

Moonfaery8 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:59 am
josegirl wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:29 pm Some great news my DD was offered on day place at Performers Birmingham . What a relief as this was her first choice . Good luck to everyone ⭐️
Congratulations to your dd 😊
Thank you 😊
FiFiD
BRIT Award

Post by FiFiD »

My DDs GSA videos have not been viewed, despite being asked to resend due to copyright. Anyone else in the same boat? It’s so annoying!
jazz_hands
BRIT Award

Post by jazz_hands »

FiFiD wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:57 pm My DDs GSA videos have not been viewed, despite being asked to resend due to copyright. Anyone else in the same boat? It’s so annoying!
We are still awaiting any kind of feedback from GSA. We sent them in the beginning of Jan and were told we would hear something within 4 weeks. Still waiting. I know there were recalls on Saturday just gone and have been told there’s at least one more. I can only assume it’s a no but it would be nice to be told.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

FiFiD wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:57 pm My DDs GSA videos have not been viewed, despite being asked to resend due to copyright. Anyone else in the same boat? It’s so annoying!
We had to submit original audition in beginning of Jan. Got a message saying they couldn’t view it a couple of weeks later and could it be resent in a different format. Just heard today of a recall. So probably about 6 weeks from resubmission. I am just putting it all out to the universe - what is meant to happen will happen and DS will go where he is meant to. We have literally no control of the situation, there is no rhyme or reason to who the schools pick and why. Obviously talent and potential are essential but so many other variables it is impossible to know unless you are on the audition panel.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Congratulations to all the ds and dds who have secured themselves a place! Hurrah! Still waiting here and really thinking that it might be a case of applying again next year to a larger range of places. As Harry2003 says there often doesn’t seem to be a great deal of rhyme nor reason to which schools pick which students-of course talent is super important but it’s certainly been interesting seeing who gets what where. And I would certainly advice applying early-Which DS didn’t.
Pinkstargazer12
BRIT Award

Post by Pinkstargazer12 »

Proseccoplease wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:31 am Congratulations to all the ds and dds who have secured themselves a place! Hurrah! Still waiting here and really thinking that it might be a case of applying again next year to a larger range of places. As Harry2003 says there often doesn’t seem to be a great deal of rhyme nor reason to which schools pick which students-of course talent is super important but it’s certainly been interesting seeing who gets what where. And I would certainly advice applying early-Which DS didn’t.
I agree, it's very hard to know what they are looking for. My daughter discovered at one of her auditions that the dance element was weighted 60%, acting 20% and singing 20%. She's an actor / singer who can dance so this really put her off. One of the students assisting advised the scoring changes every year.

Harry2003, is your DS at GSA this Saturday?
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Oh wow-that’s interesting. DS is definitely singer then actor and lastly dancer…sigh!
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Pinkstargazer12 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:35 am

I agree, it's very hard to know what they are looking for. My daughter discovered at one of her auditions that the dance element was weighted 60%, acting 20% and singing 20%. She's an actor / singer who can dance so this really put her off. One of the students assisting advised the scoring changes every year.

No date for recall yet.
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

It is very hard for them to know what is the best, all I can say is my DD found she just knew at the audition if it would be somewhere she would like to study. My DD is a strong TT, but loves the dance section, so didn't have the same issue.

Is your daughter applying for Degree or Level 3/6?

Mountview and Arts Ed lean stronger towards the Acting I believe and offer courses predominantly in these areas, but if she is able to do all 3 it would be better for her. The industry has a strong ethos towards TTs today, which is unfair.

Last year when my DD got down to the final 2 for a Disney Movie, her agency said "the likes of Disney generally ask to see TT performers". Sadly the other performer took the part, but she was spitting image of the original actress in the first film, but the experience was interesting.

I am guessing the reason behind it is due to so many different dance style to learn is the reason.

Have you looked at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, The London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art or the Drama Centre London?

Good luck!
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

Pinkstargazer12 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:35 am
Proseccoplease wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:31 am Congratulations to all the ds and dds who have secured themselves a place! Hurrah! Still waiting here and really thinking that it might be a case of applying again next year to a larger range of places. As Harry2003 says there often doesn’t seem to be a great deal of rhyme nor reason to which schools pick which students-of course talent is super important but it’s certainly been interesting seeing who gets what where. And I would certainly advice applying early-Which DS didn’t.

I remember when we went to Bird in 2019, we were told "Don't try to guess what we are looking for, because you will never work it out, but we know". I remember my daughter coming out of her Italia Conti audition thinking she had messed up she dropped her music sheets and didn't pick them all up, froze on one of her monologues, but held her head up. She was offered a place and the opportunity to apply for a DaDa immediately. She will advise just go in do your best and keep calm and you cannot do any more.

All the schools weigh towards the dance element.

Good Luck
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

I think the most frustrating thing is 5/6 of the drama school auditions ds has done have been zoom/self-tape which doesn’t let them get a feel for the school or indeed I feel doesn’t always let them show the school what they can really do. I just hope next year they return to being in person.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Losing the will with Arts Ed! Just had an email of cancelled audition tomorrow due to tube strike. DS already on train, money lost, too late to cancel hotel and this is the 3rd reschedule now - original audition booked for beginning of December! They have dropped right to the bottom of my list!
FiFiD
BRIT Award

Post by FiFiD »

Agree would be nice to get a reply. DD is not expecting anything, but like you she sent 2nd week of Jan, and was asked to resend 2 weeks ago, a ‘no’ is one thing but to not view is another especially when we’ve all paid audition fees!!