Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by Proseccoplease »

2good2hurry wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:34 am Is anyone still waiting for an audition date for ArtsEd?

DD applied before Christmas and she chased in the new year when she was told they were waiting and seeing what was happening over Covid. She chased a few weeks ago and followed up with phone calls (answer machine) but still heard nothing. Just a bit worried as her friends who have applied recently have already got an audition date. Don't want to be a nuisance and ring them again, but concerned that she has dropped of the system. Thanks!
Is that for MT or Acting? I think I would chase it up-DS and all his friends have dates-his isn’t until end of March so you have nothing to loose by ringing/emailing again.
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

For MT. Think another chase is in order. Might have to try a different email :(
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

2good2hurry wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:13 pm For MT. Think another chase is in order. Might have to try a different email :(
Definitely chase! Don’t be embarrassed or worried, things get missed. They will want to see everyone as your DD may be just what they are looking for and they will kick themselves if they miss out.
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

Harry2003 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:05 pm
2good2hurry wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:13 pm For MT. Think another chase is in order. Might have to try a different email :(
Definitely chase! Don’t be embarrassed or worried, things get missed. They will want to see everyone as your DD may be just what they are looking for and they will kick themselves if they miss out.
Thank you! Just the push we needed. Sent another chase and keeping everything crossed
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

mrs_lovett wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:45 pm
Elle’smom wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:02 am Our wait is over DD has a degree offer at Conti which she is delighted. She will do her PPA audition next week as they are coming to her college to run the audition, but will be accepting the Conti place.
So we’re done.
Congrats! I'm really glad she had some good news! My dd has a recall at Conti but we don't know much about it- she missed all the open days etc. Can you shed any light on the feel, number of students, amount of dance, singing lessons etc? Also what to expect at recall? She would be grateful for any insight as she chose to apply quite last minute. Thank you!
Conti is true triple threat almost equal dance, acting and singing. DD’s tutor at sixth many of whom are also west end performers and/or teaching in various sites including Conti feel it is the most even triple threat of all.
It’s moving to a new purpose built home after being split over 3 sites for a long while. It’s been around a long time (106 years) Layton Williams and Sam Tutty are graduates, as is Bonnie Langford.
DD’s was I believe the last recall at an old site they are now all at the new site in Woking.
For DD it ticks all the boxes it was her first choice the for a while she pretended it wasn’t partly I think to protect herself if she didn’t get in.
Disadvantages there is no other HE institution in Woking. Though my husband used to work at McLaren and he tells me there are some pretty good bars and clubs. He tells me they are already popular with McLaren staff from mechanics to drivers - imagine the prospect of a large number of MT students will increase the popularity!
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

Deleted
Last edited by mrs_lovett on Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

Elle’smom wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:22 pm
Elle’smom wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:02 am Our wait is over DD has a degree offer at Conti which she is delighted. She will do her PPA audition next week as they are coming to her college to run the audition, but will be accepting the Conti place.
So we’re done.
Congrats! I'm really glad she had some good news! My dd has a recall at Conti but we don't know much about it- she missed all the open days etc. Can you shed any light on the feel, number of students, amount of dance, singing lessons etc? Also what to expect at recall? She would be grateful for any insight as she chose to apply quite last minute. Thank you!
Conti is true triple threat almost equal dance, acting and singing. DD’s tutor at sixth many of whom are also west end performers and/or teaching in various sites including Conti feel it is the most even triple threat of all.
It’s moving to a new purpose built home after being split over 3 sites for a long while. It’s been around a long time (106 years) Layton Williams and Sam Tutty are graduates, as is Bonnie Langford.
DD’s was I believe the last recall at an old site they are now all at the new site in Woking.
For DD it ticks all the boxes it was her first choice the for a while she pretended it wasn’t partly I think to protect herself if she didn’t get in.
Disadvantages there is no other HE institution in Woking. Though my husband used to work at McLaren and he tells me there are some pretty good bars and clubs. He tells me they are already popular with McLaren staff from mechanics to drivers - imagine the prospect of a large number of MT students will increase the popularity!
Thanks that's great info and dd really wants an equal triple threat as she doesn't feel she is any better at one over another. I don't suppose you know how many they take each year? Obviously she may not get in anyway, but we're really finding it hard to find much info-I guess she can ask stuff herself if they get an interview at recall. I'm imagining the student housing might be interesting in Woking too but the new venue sounds amazing! Thanks so much for your help :)
dej
Nominee

Post by dej »

jacsrab wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:39 pm
dej wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:22 pm Hi. Could you help with a dilemma. MY DD has been offer a foundation place at Bird and a degree place at a non accredited college that has been around for about 10 years or so. Does she go for the secure easy option or is that place at Bird worth the risk when she would need to audition again next year? What are people's experiences with foundation programs? Would someone with a degree from a small school get a look in in the west end? Thankyou
In my opinion, it's the quality of the training rather than the fact they have a degree that's important. Let's face it, not everyone on the west end stage has a degree and in some cases, even a preforming arts training ( thinking about Lucie Jones e.g.)

I'm a bit confused by the 'non-accredited' college that offers a degree? Surely a degree has to be ratified /sponsored by a University type institution ?
Thanks for your reply. Degrees are 'validated' by a university. I have been told that casting directors look for training by schools 'accredited' by the CDDMT. I don't know how accurate this is though but when I look through programs most people seem to come from well known places.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Accreditation could mean by CDMT, or it could mean graduates are eligible for Spotlight & Equity membership.
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

mrs_lovett wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:36 pm

Thanks that's great info and dd really wants an equal triple threat as she doesn't feel she is any better at one over another. I don't suppose you know how many they take each year? Obviously she may not get in anyway, but we're really finding it hard to find much info-I guess she can ask stuff herself if they get an interview at recall. I'm imagining the student housing might be interesting in Woking too but the new venue sounds amazing! Thanks so much for your help :)
My DS first yr Conti in Guildford just a short hop from the new Woking venue, which looks fab. They are not sure if they’ll carry on living in Guildford (very quick train ride & new venue easy walk from station) or move to Woking. I guess that’s as they know Guildford well for going out & currently don’t know that about Woking (but no doubt they’ll find out!)
Loving Conti though, good contact hours (not as many as his extended dip but still good…in every day, either earlier start or later finish) Great teachers. Just having a fab time all round. Class sizes small, intake for Guildford was around 40 for MT from memory but that will get bigger at Woking presumably as it’s all sites combined
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

Amf wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:48 pm
mrs_lovett wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:36 pm

My DS first yr Conti in Guildford just a short hop from the new Woking venue, which looks fab. They are not sure if they’ll carry on living in Guildford (very quick train ride & new venue easy walk from station) or move to Woking. I guess that’s as they know Guildford well for going out & currently don’t know that about Woking (but no doubt they’ll find out!)
Loving Conti though, good contact hours (not as many as his extended dip but still good…in every day, either earlier start or later finish) Great teachers. Just having a fab time all round. Class sizes small, intake for Guildford was around 40 for MT from memory but that will get bigger at Woking presumably as it’s all sites combined
Thanks Amf that's really useful info :) yes I guess you could live outside of Woking with the station so close and Guildford is going to be much more geared up for student housing! Glad your DS is enjoying himself.
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Does anyone know how the whole diploma thing at Conti works? We aren’t eligible for a Dada. If dd was offered the diploma does it mean she won’t be considered at all for the BA on a waiting list? We just couldn’t afford a place. The fees and living expenses combined would be astronomical. Is there any difference between the courses ?
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

oscar wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:31 pm Does anyone know how the whole diploma thing at Conti works? We aren’t eligible for a Dada. If dd was offered the diploma does it mean she won’t be considered at all for the BA on a waiting list? We just couldn’t afford a place. The fees and living expenses combined would be astronomical. Is there any difference between the courses ?
Someone at DD’s college was offered diploma rather than degree and faved exactly the same problem. She was then offered degree in June, but already had accommodation etc all sorted fir Urdang so stuck with that.
What was her recall for DD’s was for degree or foundation.
Pinkstargazer12
BRIT Award

Post by Pinkstargazer12 »

Hello!
My daughter has had a recall at Conti today. Any idea when she’s likely to hear the outcome?

I know some are waiting for GSA, we have just heard that she has a recall in 2 weeks. She submitted tapes on 25th January, they must be starting to sort through them.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Pinkstargazer12 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:59 pm Hello!
My daughter has had a recall at Conti today. Any idea when she’s likely to hear the outcome?

I know some are waiting for GSA, we have just heard that she has a recall in 2 weeks. She submitted tapes on 25th January, they must be starting to sort through them.
That’s very good news for your DD. I hope she enjoys her recalls.