Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by lawn »

dej wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:21 pm
jazz_hands wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:59 pm
dej wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:22 pm Hi. Could you help with a dilemma. MY DD has been offer a foundation place at Bird and a degree place at a non accredited college that has been around for about 10 years or so. Does she go for the secure easy option or is that place at Bird worth the risk when she would need to audition again next year? What are people's experiences with foundation programs? Would someone with a degree from a small school get a look in in the west end? Thankyou
Do you have any more options that you are awaiting outcomes for?
She has foundation offers at PPA, LSC and is awaiting Performers but thinks it has now grown too big.
Hi, my daughter had a foundation offer at PPA last year (straight acting) that was later changed to a degree offer, so be aware this can happen, though I don't think it was offered to many She changed her mind at the last minute in favour of a foundation at Rose Bruford. I wasn't thrilled at the time that she was putting herself through another year of auditions with no guarantees, plus the expense and that we lost our £500 deposit! I'm only thankful we hadn't signed on the dotted line for her accommodation. For context she also got offers at Central, but not the course she wanted to do and Read college for their foundation.

I've asked her since and she stands by it was the right thing to do. She has loved the course and learnt a lot. Yes it's a risk (especially in our case for straight acting as they have no where near the amount of places that MT offer). Is it affordable? It's not just the course fees and accommodation, it's their day to day living expenses (if they don't have work), transport home, UCAS and audiution fees for a following year and any additional costs.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

dej wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:22 pm Hi. Could you help with a dilemma. MY DD has been offer a foundation place at Bird and a degree place at a non accredited college that has been around for about 10 years or so. Does she go for the secure easy option or is that place at Bird worth the risk when she would need to audition again next year? What are people's experiences with foundation programs? Would someone with a degree from a small school get a look in in the west end? Thankyou
In my opinion, and that’s all it is, I would go with the foundation course. If you can afford it and can afford the auditions again next year then I think that is the route I would take. As she has had a few foundation offers it suggests to me that she is talented but just not quite ready for the full 3 year degree course. The students nowadays are so far on before they go. In my day foundation courses didn’t exist and you were chosen with potential as long as you had pretty good basic training. Now, the kids are virtually fully trained before they start! Especially with the advent of all the 2 year full time courses at BTECH level.

My concern would be that by taking a lesser established/accredited college they won’t get the competition, the intense training and the level of training needed to compete when it comes to job auditions. It’s important to keep in mind that this is just a step in the path of getting a job - the job market is tougher than the college market and they will be auditioning against all the new graduates and all the seasoned professionals. They need the very best grounding they can get and if she needs an extra year of training then you can’t rush it and skip that step as it will be harder in the end. Just my thoughts.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

It really depends on the college. Some re great, others no so much.
Littleone
BRIT Award

Post by Littleone »

Hi Dej - In reply to your last question, when I have seen shows in the West End or touring, there have often been one or two cast members from less well known colleges so it's definitely possible - I love to see the variety of training in the cast bios in the programmes :) I have often wondered ( and still do) whether it is better to be a bigger fish in a small pond ? or the opposite. Similarly, I am wondering ,with a DC coming to the end of their degree, what sort of agency is more favourable - whether a larger more high profile agency would be 'better' than a smaller one ..or would you get 'lost' in the numbers with a large agency and therefore less opportunities ? Assuming of course, you are lucky enough to have a choice ! ;)

Good Luck to your DD !
jacsrab
BRIT Award

Post by jacsrab »

In my opinion, it's the quality of the training rather than the fact they have a degree that's important. Let's face it, not everyone on the west end stage has a degree and in some cases, even a preforming arts training ( thinking about Lucie Jones e.g.)

I'm a bit confused by the 'non-accredited' college that offers a degree? Surely a degree has to be ratified /sponsored by a University type institution ?
Charlie255
Nominee

Post by Charlie255 »

jazz_hands wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:06 pm Has anyone heard back from GSA? Info says we would hear within 4 weeks if selected for a recall and we haven’t heard yet. Others on DDs college PA course are also waiting to hear.
My DD applied before Christmas and it was 6 weeks until she heard she had a recall. She absolutely loved the audition day and is now on the reserve list. It could be up until the summer until she hears whether she’s got a yes or no…..a long, nervous wait ahead! Good luck to your DD!
jazz_hands
BRIT Award

Post by jazz_hands »

Charlie255 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:59 pm
jazz_hands wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:06 pm Has anyone heard back from GSA? Info says we would hear within 4 weeks if selected for a recall and we haven’t heard yet. Others on DDs college PA course are also waiting to hear.
My DD applied before Christmas and it was 6 weeks until she heard she had a recall. She absolutely loved the audition day and is now on the reserve list. It could be up until the summer until she hears whether she’s got a yes or no…..a long, nervous wait ahead! Good luck to your DD!
Thank you, our application went in just after the Christmas break so I’m guessing we should hear in the next week or two whether we are lucky enough for a recall
Elysée69
BRIT Award

Post by Elysée69 »

Anyone have a child going to Urdang? Do they know if a Facebook group set up yet? DD keen to start chatting with fellow students. Thank you ☺️
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

Our wait is over DD has a degree offer at Conti which she is delighted. She will do her PPA audition next week as they are coming to her college to run the audition, but will be accepting the Conti place.
So we’re done.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Elle’smom wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:02 am Our wait is over DD has a degree offer at Conti which she is delighted. She will do her PPA audition next week as they are coming to her college to run the audition, but will be accepting the Conti place.
So we’re done.
Fabulous! And relax!
josegirl
BRIT Award

Post by josegirl »

Elle’smom wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:02 am Our wait is over DD has a degree offer at Conti which she is delighted. She will do her PPA audition next week as they are coming to her college to run the audition, but will be accepting the Conti place.
So we’re done.
Congratulations to your DD , you can now breathe and relax . 😀
Dancersmum1
Nominee

Post by Dancersmum1 »

Has anyone had their ‘official offer’ from performers? DD was accepted November last year received an email with a place and told the official offer would be sent in January, they have migrated applications over to a new system which we now have access to but are still yet to receive the official offer.🤷🏽‍♀️
Moonfaery8
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery8 »

So we’re done.
Great news! Congratulations to your DD 😊
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

So we’re done.
Congrats! I'm really glad she had some good news! My dd has a recall at Conti but we don't know much about it- she missed all the open days etc. Can you shed any light on the feel, number of students, amount of dance, singing lessons etc? Also what to expect at recall? She would be grateful for any insight as she chose to apply quite last minute. Thank you!
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

Is anyone still waiting for an audition date for ArtsEd?

DD applied before Christmas and she chased in the new year when she was told they were waiting and seeing what was happening over Covid. She chased a few weeks ago and followed up with phone calls (answer machine) but still heard nothing. Just a bit worried as her friends who have applied recently have already got an audition date. Don't want to be a nuisance and ring them again, but concerned that she has dropped of the system. Thanks!