Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Elysée69
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by Elysée69 »

mouskouri41 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:19 pm Can anyone advise on how strict they are on the 2 minute song length?
My dd only had one song that was within it. I think if 20 seconds either side it's fine. Three in person auditions and nobody stopped her.
Dillydaffy
BRIT Award

Post by Dillydaffy »

So,have read a couple of things about Urdang, and hoped I could get some clarification and honest replies here….
1- that the final year is only 2 terms, then you choose whether or not to spend the 3rd term doing the showcase/shows etc…..
2- that if you do, that 3rd term is an extra cost…..
3- that, in fact, all 3 years only consist of 2 terms worth of teaching, so you only get 6 terms of teaching as opposed to 9…….

Any clarification GREATLY received!!
Thanks
Elysée69
BRIT Award

Post by Elysée69 »

Dillydaffy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:57 am So,have read a couple of things about Urdang, and hoped I could get some clarification and honest replies here….
1- that the final year is only 2 terms, then you choose whether or not to spend the 3rd term doing the showcase/shows etc…..
3- that, in fact, all 3 years only consist of 2 terms worth of teaching, so you only get 6 terms of teaching as opposed to 9…….

Thanks
Would be great to have clarification on this. Read some other posts but not clear. Anyone got a DC there now that can help?
Dillydaffy
BRIT Award

Post by Dillydaffy »

amo185 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:51 pm Lovely to read of the early offers. It's such a confidence boost to them. Congratulations! We went though it last year (all recordings and online interview etc) and it's all worth it when your dc get into the college of their dreams! There's a lot of mutual support on here and I found the site really useful as there's a wealth of knowledge from so many people. Good luck to all the dc going through the process this year!
Thank you- it is indeed a confidence boost for Dd, and hopefully can ease the pressure off the rest of A level year now a bit too. Glad this thread is back up & running too- was happy just following & lurking up to a point, but I knew I would *need* to get more involved as the process went on- whatever the outcome!!
☺️
Stayingcalm
BRIT Award

Post by Stayingcalm »

Elysée69 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:59 pm
Dillydaffy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:57 am So,have read a couple of things about Urdang, and hoped I could get some clarification and honest replies here….

Thanks
Would be great to have clarification on this. Read some other posts but not clear. Anyone got a DC there now that can help?
This is my best attempt to clarify this confusing topic.
Diploma costs are £14,000 and Degree is £9000 + paid through student loans. Both courses have exact same contact hours and for the diploma course the third term is compulsory whilst for the degree it is optional with additional costs to bring the third term equal to the diploma. The third term takes contact hours well in excess of university degree and some other conservatoires. Also the term ends much later than other schools. The days tend to be longer as well. Summer term is devoted to a showcase at a West End venue as well masterclasses with industry professionals. It is considered the best term of the year from an experience point of view. I’m not sure if this applies to the final year but it does for the first 2 years. Things are changing all the time at Urdang and I believe they are no longer going to run a diploma course which could mean they run a shorter 3rd term? I would advise you talk to admissions directly to fully understand how 2022 will run. Hope this helps.
Moonfaery8
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery8 »

Thanks
My understanding is there is no additional cost for the third term. I was told this by admissions when my dd started in September.
It is optional and I think they just sign up for the classes they want to do? There is also a showcase. Maybe there is additional cost with some of the masterclasses? Can anyone with dc’s in 2nd/3rd year clarify?
I was assured that they get the right quota of contact hours for a degree within the first 2 terms each year. She started at the end of August so I think the terms are a bit longer than other places.
They are not running the diploma next year.
Stayingcalm
BRIT Award

Post by Stayingcalm »

Moonfaery8 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:13 pm

Thanks
My understanding is there is no additional cost for the third term. I was told this by admissions when my dd started in September.
It is optional and I think they just sign up for the classes they want to do? There is also a showcase. Maybe there is additional cost with some of the masterclasses? Can anyone with dc’s in 2nd/3rd year clarify?
I was assured that they get the right quota of contact hours for a degree within the first 2 terms each year. She started at the end of August so I think the terms are a bit longer than other places.
Thanks for the update. My daughter is a current diploma student and hasn’t needed to know about degree fees. I was basing my knowledge on a Lucy Stewart Adam’s video 😂. Always best to speak directly in these ever changing times!
evie03
Nominee

Post by evie03 »

Thanks
yes, as someone said before, diploma is around £13000 /£14000 whilst degree is the normal £9250. third term is show term and optional for degree, but everyone I know says it's the best term there. Loads of guest masterclasses and show prep. It brings the total degree costs up to the same amount as diploma

they're getting rid of AVT and diploma - this year's diploma has 14 people on it I think; probably to try and cut down the school size but not sure
Dillydaffy
BRIT Award

Post by Dillydaffy »

evie03 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:33 am

Thanks
yes, as someone said before, diploma is around £13000 /£14000 whilst degree is the normal £9250. third term is show term and optional for degree, but everyone I know says it's the best term there. Loads of guest masterclasses and show prep. It brings the total degree costs up to the same amount as diploma

they're getting rid of AVT and diploma - this year's diploma has 14 people on it I think; probably to try and cut down the school size but not sure
So in effect the degree *actually* costs an extra £3000 for that final term??? So another £9000 (over the 3 years) to finance from somewhere??? That sounds like an awful lot of an *extra* cost that doesn’t seem to be mentioned anywhere by Urdang…………🤷🏼‍♀️🤔😱
Moonfaery8
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery8 »

Dillydaffy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:07 pm
evie03 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:33 am

Thanks

So in effect the degree *actually* costs an extra £3000 for that final term??? So another £9000 (over the 3 years) to finance from somewhere??? That sounds like an awful lot of an *extra* cost that doesn’t seem to be mentioned anywhere by Urdang…………🤷🏼‍♀️🤔😱
My dd who is first year degree has not been asked for any additional fee above the standard degree cost.
Dillydaffy
BRIT Award

Post by Dillydaffy »

Moonfaery8 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:13 pm

Thanks
So this makes much more sense. !! Thanks Moonfaery.
Although it still seems odd to have ‘optional’ terms…… I wonder why? (still trying to make sense of so many things here!! )
Dancersmum1
Nominee

Post by Dancersmum1 »

Does anyone have experience/ knowledge of bird? DD auditioned and got offered an unfunded place with reserve list funding, can anyone advise if this is likely to result in funding? 🤷🏽‍♀️
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

Dancersmum1 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:03 pm Does anyone have experience/ knowledge of bird? DD auditioned and got offered an unfunded place with reserve list funding, can anyone advise if this is likely to result in funding? 🤷🏽‍♀️
This is very common at bird. Unfortunately you need to be prepared for a long wait.
Based on last year they will now complete all of their audition sessions and after that they will tell you approximately where you are on the list (towards the top, midway or bottom).
Then it’s just a case of waiting.
Last year my daughter’s friend who was told she was close to the top was offered a place in July. She knows someone else who was offered a place only a week before they started.
So yes it is definitely possible to get funding from the waiting list but I would be very cautious of relying on it.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Dada funding I'm guessing? My understand is as follows (prepared to be corrected if I get it wrong). The places eligible to be given Dada funding receive a big 'pot' of money this has to support their current students who are on Dadas as well as the newcomers.

The ones that are offered a place then have to be put in a 'ranking' order. They then go to each person in turn and find out how much funding support that person will need. Dada income scales are listed here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... demic-year

The drama school keeps going down their list until their pot runs out.

As to whether it's likely to get to your daughter having a funded place, perhaps, but is going to depend on many things such as who decided to take their place or go elsewhere and the amount needed for the people ahead of them in the queue. Unless this is a dream school and your child is prepared to wait it out just in case and accept whatever their plan B is if they don't or you can afford to pay the fees regardless, I think I'd carry on with alternative auditions, being prepared to drop everything last minute if a funded place does come up at Bird last minute and accept this will probably cost you if it does. For that I'd feel your pain, mine was 5 weeks off moving away for their 3 year degree last year when they were offered a place off the reserve list for a better known school's foundation. £500 deposit lost, course fees to pay, money needed every week to live on instead of student finance and another year of paying for and going through auditions. I'm only glad we hadn't signed on the dotted line for accommodation, otherwise I think it would have had to have been a No. Do your homework on costs involved whatever their choice ends up being.
Moonfaery8
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery8 »

Very happy dd here. Just received offer for degree at Bird after auditioning yesterday!