Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by mrs_lovett »

Hi all, My dd is trying to finish her ucas application and she is trying to put in her dance exams. Does anyone know for ISTD vocational whether it is National Tap or Stage Branch tap as she has to pick one of these! Any ideas, her certificate just says Tap Dance! Thanks all :)
Last edited by mrs_lovett on Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

I agree with amo185, DS has really narrowed his choices, just 4 and they are unfortunately 4 of the hardest to get into but he says he will just keep trying until he gets in. (I am very aware we are lucky enough to be able to financially allow him to try for those courses). He knows what a saturated industry it is and really wants to get into one that has a proven track record of getting graduates industry jobs. With more and more kids wanting to get into Performing Arts there will always be colleges who see a market but unless you can see a clear graduate progression to the type of job your ds/dd wants I just don’t think it’s worth it sadly.
I foresee a year (or more…) of disappointment but I also see that in DS’s eyes it isn’t worth it unless it’s one he really wants. Hey ho! Good luck all!
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

Totally agree, my daughter stated if I am going to at this path I wanted to audition for the best, hence, turning down LMA. When she was auditioning for BTEC etc she secured places at WIlkes, SM, IC, Performers, Urdang (hated it), Brits, Bird and Laines. She chose Wilkes and has no regrets and still may stay there and do her degree but has chosen to audition for Bird, IC, Arts Ed, Moutview and London Studio Centre.

Good luck to your son, but auditioning for some of the others wouldn't hurt because it's not about the College's reputation, (obviously getting in the best is great) but also it's about how it makes you feel and you get that at the audition. My daughter came out of her Stella Mann, Urdang and Performers auditions and said 'no' don't feel comfortable and not the fit for me.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

For sixth form my DD attended a state FE college on an MT course. It was selective in that you had to audition to get a place, not just meet the academic criteria but the majority of students came from the college's catchment area (which was admittedly large, county wide rather than town/city wide). As such there were varying degrees of standard and different strengths within the threats. Whilst not the calibre of the big name drama school sixth forms, each year they had students get into most of the drama schools that are mentioned on these threads

For 6 months daughter's course was fab, then came the lockdowns and a (non covid related) staff change. Daughter's course was told to audition early. They'd been told to do their UCAS for October and consequently a large number applied for LMA and when all were accepted they didn't look for anywhere else. I understand that the year groups are no bigger than some of the larger more familiar names discussed on here. The difference will be that the 'bigger' names have many more applicants and can take their pick of the crop, whereas not as many apply to LMA in the first place. That's quite usual when a drama school is new. At an open day at Trinity Laban a few years ago they said their first year they had 30 spaces and 30 applicants. In time LMA may well become a more sought after school, as several others have become that have been discussed on here when they too were new, but for now I would agree that it's not the right place for your DD.

I also agree there's no harm in your DD casting her net far and wide for degree courses. You never know what 'fish' she may catch. Mine was 5 weeks away from accepting a degree place at a drama school that's only just starting to be mentioned on here now and again after starting up over 10 years ago, when she received an email offering her a last minute foundation place at a more 'prestigious' school, which she has taken and she's thrilled to bit she has and is enjoying her course. So long as there's at least one in person visit then your DD will know if it's right for her in the same ways she did when trying out for sixth form place. That's more problematic when everything is online though. My DD accepted her place having never seen it and when she was able to attend the opening day (after we accepted and paid the deposit) she admits now to not getting a 'vibe'
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

tracyelwell absolutely agree, wish he would cast net further but he has researched the courses forensically and they are the only ones he’s interested in-he’s more of a actor/singer who can dance when he’s forced to so is applying for a couple of MT and a couple of straight acting. I don’t think they necessarily are the best and there are certainly lots of exceptional places he isn’t applying to, just the ones that have the modules he’s interested in (and have less dance :roll: )
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

I wish him all the best.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Thanks tracyelwell, all the best to your DD too! Exciting (terrifying) times!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

mrs_lovett wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:18 pm Hi all, My dd is trying to finish her ucas application and she is trying to put in her dance exams. Does anyone know for ISTD vocational whether it is National Tap or Stage Branch tap as she has to pick one of these! Any ideas, her certificate just says Tap Dance! Thanks all :)
It’s a bit behind the times!

Tap used to be part of the Stage Branch which was renamed Stage Faculty. In 2002 this split again into Modern Theatre Faculty & Tap Faculty.

National Dance Faculty is pretty much what it says, National/folk dancing.
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

islandofsodor wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:33 pm
mrs_lovett wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:18 pm Hi all, My dd is trying to finish her ucas application and she is trying to put in her dance exams. Does anyone know for ISTD vocational whether it is National Tap or Stage Branch tap as she has to pick one of these! Any ideas, her certificate just says Tap Dance! Thanks all :)
It’s a bit behind the times!

Tap used to be part of the Stage Branch which was renamed Stage Faculty. In 2002 this split again into Modern Theatre Faculty & Tap Faculty.

National Dance Faculty is pretty much what it says, National/folk dancing.

Thank you very much, I doubt it matters much so she'll probably put the stage one!
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

Hi, my DD is applying for musical theatre 6th form and I just wondered what sort of questions she should expect at the interview? I guess they may be similar to those asked for professional training or maybe not, but if anyone has some suggestions, they would be gratefully received. We can think of a few obvious ones, like why are you applying here, etc but want to be prepared for unexpected ones. TIA
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

Hilltop wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:15 pm Hi, my DD is applying for musical theatre 6th form and I just wondered what sort of questions she should expect at the interview? I guess they may be similar to those asked for professional training or maybe not, but if anyone has some suggestions, they would be gratefully received. We can think of a few obvious ones, like why are you applying here, etc but want to be prepared for unexpected ones. TIA
DD got asked which musical would you most like to be in and what role would you play. Her answer ‘Les Mis as it was how I fell in live with MT. I would live to say Fauntine, but I am realistic I know I am more of an Eponie’.
They also asked about predicted GCSE grades, what her long term ambitions were, what would she do if she was ever unable to perform.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

My daughter but for an acting course 6th form got asked. What do you feel went well? What do you think could have been improved on? Why did you choose these pieces? What is your strength? What is your biggest weakness? The last question she failed spectacularly on, didn't get a place at her dream 6th form and learnt a valuable lesson as did we as we hadn't been told that it would include an interview. It was a recall and the initial day when people heard whether they were accepted, rejected or recalled hadn't. It never occurred to us that when an initial day didn't include one, a recall did and wasn't anywhere in the info we were given. Husband has been a manager for over 30 years and interviewed many people, no way would he have let her go into somewhere unprepared, we just weren't aware.
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

Clairecm1076 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:12 am
NicoleT1978 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:26 pm Hi All, thanks for the previous replies about the Open Days. We've hit a brick wall, we were getting all excited booking the open days and looking into auditions and I've just found out that they can't get Student Loans at 16 for the Diploma. I know she could possibly try to get a DADA but it would be the living costs we would struggle with, we are in catch 22, we earn too much for the Maintenance help with the DADA but not enough to be able to support DD in moving to London. I've looked into the Bursaries available but that would be minimal. Does anybody have any further information that I may have missed [-o<
I have a horrible feeling I may have to break it to my DD that she has to wait another 2 years :cry:
We are in same position, DD wont qualify for Dada even if she was offered one but she is determined to go away at 16. We are looking at BTEC Extended diploma courses as a lot are free or certainly a lot cheaper so only need to fund accommodation costs. She can then go onto degree at 18 when she can access student loan. There are a lot of colleges now offering the BTEC, Performers just started it this year aswell so there is still plenty of choice
Would highly recommend Emil Dale Academy. My DS went there for two years & most of his year group have gone on to degrees or diplomas at a mix of Arts Ed, Bird, Conti, Performers, Laine etc
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

Hi, thanks for the replies to my interview question. Sorry, I have another question! We’re applying for musical theatre 6th form at Emil Dale and we’re trying to fill out the ‘what makes you unique?’ question. We’re really struggling with this and wondered if anyone could give us some tips on how to answer/what they’re looking for. It’s a really tricky question to answer.
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

Hilltop wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:42 pm Hi, thanks for the replies to my interview question. Sorry, I have another question! We’re applying for musical theatre 6th form at Emil Dale and we’re trying to fill out the ‘what makes you unique?’ question. We’re really struggling with this and wondered if anyone could give us some tips on how to answer/what they’re looking for. It’s a really tricky question to answer.
No idea tbh but they’ll want honesty, warmth & an insight into personality I’d guess. Everyone has something which is why we’re all different, hone in on that as a positive trait & sell it to them. Good luck xx