Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by lawn »

I'm another one who hadn't realised a student funding deadline was looming. That's tonight's job!
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

EsmeraldaFudge wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:41 pm
He has decided to go with Bird College. Would be great to hear from other parents on here. I am FLUMMOXED by accom options. I would be hugely grateful if anyone can help with this? He has been talked out of going to Avery Hills halls so is now looking at shared accommodation with some friends from his current school but this makes me really anxious. Would appreciate any advise on how I even find accommodation.

The accommodation options sent by Bird College (ie Toronto / Hollywood ) are all full. Happy to be pointed to another thread!
Hi
Congrats on the offers. My DD is in her final year at Bird. They will send out an accommodation list (usually around the end of June) which has details of other' accommodation. It also includes host families (which we are and let out one of our rooms to a Birdie) which can be an option.
Once he's accepted the place he should be able to join the Facebook group where there's always chat about rooms and house shares etc
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

I feel like I have lost a little faith in this whole selection process as it clearly doesn't always seem to be those that you know to be talented get the places they deserve...I realise that's life in general and often for a performers life for sure!
We just heard from the most talented girl friend of DD that after waiting weeks for her Urdang recall result she has a rejection. It absolutely makes no sense to anybody that knows her or the teachers and my heart breaks for her as although she has been offered everywhere and anywhere with scholarships/dadas etc the one she wanted the most is a No after waiting on it so long. Especially after knowing others that were offered places we just cannot fathom it :o
Sorry I'm just in a reflective mood today and it is not my child but some of these results really do make you wonder! It just sometimes has no rhyme or reason.

But "that's show business" as they say.....a life of rejection
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

dancelifemum wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:37 am
Amf wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:14 pm Student finance...I presume the deadline of Friday for student finance is a soft deadline?🤞🏻🤞🏻Can’t apply until decisions have been made but gov website says 21st May to ensure it gets done in time.
Yes just put any place in...and it gets the ball rolling.
Done now thanks! N e a r l y there!!!!
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

dancelifemum wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:21 pm I feel like I have lost a little faith in this whole selection process as it clearly doesn't always seem to be those that you know to be talented get the places they deserve...I realise that's life in general and often for a performers life for sure!
We just heard from the most talented girl friend of DD that after waiting weeks for her Urdang recall result she has a rejection. It absolutely makes no sense to anybody that knows her or the teachers and my heart breaks for her as although she has been offered everywhere and anywhere with scholarships/dadas etc the one she wanted the most is a No after waiting on it so long. Especially after knowing others that were offered places we just cannot fathom it :o
Sorry I'm just in a reflective mood today and it is not my child but some of these results really do make you wonder! It just sometimes has no rhyme or reason.

It’s so random...my DS has two fantastic place offers, one needing dada one not so we’re very happy but was rejected from other places after recalls. I guess it has to be the right auditionee at the right time in front of the right panel! Sounds like your DD’s friend will do well where ever she now chooses to go. & yes they do have to get very used to those no’s & keep on trucking!
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

dancelifemum wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:21 pm I feel like I have lost a little faith in this whole selection process as it clearly doesn't always seem to be those that you know to be talented get the places they deserve...I realise that's life in general and often for a performers life for sure!

That is a really difficult one to process, it’s very sad especially as it’s the one she wanted the most, that will be heartbreaking for her! I honestly do feel though that everything happens for a reason, as cliche as it sounds. She may not realise it yet, but them saying no, may be a door opening to even greater opportunities that she can’t quite see yet. Each school has their reasons and type which most of us will never understand. With all that being said, my DD is still waiting to hear. If it is a no, she’ll also be heartbroken but I’ll have to say the same to her, that things happen as they should. I hope wherever your friend decides to go, she’ll have an amazing time and make a lifetime of friendships.
Stayingcalm
BRIT Award

Post by Stayingcalm »

Its small comfort at this moment, so close after the rejection, but Guildhall love to regale their students with the story of Daniel Craig (arguably their most successful student). He tried 3 times before being accepted and all the while he was there they questioned if they had made a mistake! Carrie Hope Fletcher didn't train at all! The list is endless of successful performers who failed at the first hurdle and gained a backbone. I just know that if your DD's friend is as talented as you say then This might be a transitional gift she feels grateful for down the road. Its hard to fully celebrate your own DDs success when you see another child unhappy. But like I said, no future is carved out at the beginning, thank goodness.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

No, it's not always to do with who is the most talented when it comes to getting places. It could be down to many things including when they audition , (we've realised our daughter auditioned far too early and the advice from her tutor to do this wasn't good to take) if they have spaces left (it's been an unprecedented year of application numbers), what the schools look for as they're all different, if they've already got someone (or several people) that look similar/have similar skillsets so are looking for something 'different', if they're thinking ahead to their final year show and could do with someone who could potentially be....... and so on.

Life is full of twists and turns. At my daughter's (sixth form) college, if you take the names of the drama schools offers her cohort have, then daughter has the most prestigious name, but she's not taking it as it's not the course she wishes to do. So if we go by actual courses, then the person in her class with the best offers is the only boy. Do I think he's a better actor than daughter? No I don't. Only this week, her course tutor had him stand and watch something daughter was doing in order to learn, and this is for their final show which is next week! I don't think he's rubbish either. He has been the only one in the class with loads of recalls, he is older (in 20s) and with a more 'unique' look and that might have accounted for some of the reason why. It's just the way it is.

Another student has no outcomes at all for drama schools. She also auditioned early, so when at the beginning of the year everywhere she'd applied to had rejected her, she decided with the money she'd got (put away for a foundation year in case anyone offered, nowhere did) that instead she'd pick up casual bar/retail work, maybe move anyway during the summer and do a load of short courses and try again. Last week she started an acting job (tourist orientated rather than theatre work) and alongside her working at the same job is someone who has just spent 3 years at a drama school. (not sure if they're last years graduate or this years as unsure if their course has ended and they're just managing weekend work for now) So from the worst outcome with nowhere to go to in September to the best and straight into performance work before she's even finished her college course!

If your daughter's friend has been offered everywhere with funding then she I'm sure she will do amazing wherever she chooses to train and has a pick to choose from even if she hasn't been offered her favourite.
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

Also even those people considered to be the most talented will still have their own strengths and weaknesses. I’m sure they will have seen her talent but unfortunately it wasn’t what they were looking for this year.

My daughter ruled Urdang out in her mind after their online open day as what they were looking for did not fit with her strengths. She’s not really an all rounder - she has clear strengths and weaknesses and they didn’t match.

I think in hindsight it’s important to go into this with an open mind and try not to set your heart on somewhere - but obviously easier said than done!
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Advice please - if you accept a conditional firm / insurance choice on UCAS, is there a cooling off period where you can change your mind and decide not to attend a school?
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Finally some good news, DD has an offer at Urdang!!! After 6 weeks and no reply we were really expecting some bad news.
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

anastasia79 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:48 pm Advice please - if you accept a conditional firm / insurance choice on UCAS, is there a cooling off period where you can change your mind and decide not to attend a school?
DS says yes as far as he has discussed with peers but we don’t know 100%. Reading last years posts seems like a direct replica of what we’re going through with dada news...! No’s went out first then a waiting game for a week or so until yes’s and reserve lists. We were thinking email or letter but last year some were via phone calls too
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Amf wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:05 pm
anastasia79 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:48 pm Advice please - if you accept a conditional firm / insurance choice on UCAS, is there a cooling off period where you can change your mind and decide not to attend a school?
DS says yes as far as he has discussed with peers but we don’t know 100%. Reading last years posts seems like a direct replica of what we’re going through with dada news...! No’s went out first then a waiting game for a week or so until yes’s and reserve lists. We were thinking email or letter but last year some were via phone calls too
Thank you! This last wait was the worst one yet and I’m so relieved we now have an answer.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

anastasia79 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:04 pm Finally some good news, DD has an offer at Urdang!!! After 6 weeks and no reply we were really expecting some bad news.
Congratulations to your DD Now for a large glass of something cold!
Moonfaery8
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery8 »

anastasia79 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:04 pm Finally some good news, DD has an offer at Urdang!!! After 6 weeks and no reply we were really expecting some bad news.
Congratulation to your dd! What great news after all that waiting.