Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dell71
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by Dell71 »

DD (16) has 3 offers on the table so far and still to hear from 3 others for 2021 intake which is fantastic. Two of her offers are 3 year diplomas (ROM Theatre Arts and Liverpool Theatre School) but her preferred college is Bird and she auditioned for the L6 diploma there too. She's received an email to say she's not quite ready technically (dance is her weaker side) but they do see potential to succeed so have offered her the 1 year Pre professional Foundation course with a free audition for the 2022 intake (no guarantee of getting in though)

My question really is has anyone done the foundation course, would you recommend it and do you know what the success rate was for getting in the following year?

Also, what do you think you would do?
Katyben
BRIT Award

Post by Katyben »

Dell71 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:32 pm DD (16) has 3 offers on the table so far and still to hear from 3 others for 2021 intake which is fantastic. Two of her offers are 3 year diplomas (ROM Theatre Arts and Liverpool Theatre School) but her preferred college is Bird and she auditioned for the L6 diploma there too. She's received an email to say she's not quite ready technically (dance is her weaker side) but they do see potential to succeed so have offered her the 1 year Pre professional Foundation course with a free audition for the 2022 intake (no guarantee of getting in though)

My question really is has anyone done the foundation course, would you recommend it and do you know what the success rate was for getting in the following year?

My daughter did the foundation year at Bird at 16 and is now a first year there. She loved the foundation course and learned a lot. She than got 4 offers last year and went with bird. Obviously if things go back to normal then the foundation is good but if it’s still online I don’t see the benefit x
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

I think Bird have been very honest about your DD's lack of experience in dance and know she'll get more out of an intensive three year course if she can improve in that area. They obviously really liked her! So my gut instinct if that were my daughter would be to get that further training if I could afford it. Bird has a very good reputation. And Foundation courses at the top colleges are highly rated. Very nice to have some offers on the table. Well done to your DD and good luck with your decision! x
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

So may daughter discovered last night that trying to video a tap solo for an audition doesn't work especially if you are filming in a very echoey room.

So she hurriedly switched to a jazz routine.

I can't believe she filmed her song in one take!
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Dell71 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:32 pm DD (16) has 3 offers on the table so far and still to hear from 3 others for 2021 intake which is fantastic. Two of her offers are 3 year diplomas (ROM Theatre Arts and Liverpool Theatre School) but her preferred college is Bird and she auditioned for the L6 diploma there too. She's received an email to say she's not quite ready technically (dance is her weaker side) but they do see potential to succeed so have offered her the 1 year Pre professional Foundation course with a free audition for the 2022 intake (no guarantee of getting in though)

My daughter was offered Foundation at Bird and Performers in 2019 and took Performers. I would say if you can afford it (and they are expensive with living costs factored in) then definitely go for it as the training is invaluable. Last year she was offered degree at Performers and Wilkes and is now in her first year on the Wilkes degree. Her housemates at Performers had also done foundation (or pre-voc as it’s called there), were then in their 2nd year of degree and said Foundation year is the best year. My daughter now agrees as it is just full on training with no academic work and they also get singing tuition and certain tutors that they don’t even get in Year 1 so it is amazing training. The only thing to consider, as mentioned above, is whether it is online. Hopefully it won’t be by September but I don’t think you’d get your money’s worth at all if it was online as daughter swopped to this, thankfully she’d done two thirds of the course in college so we feel it still benefited her. Not sure she would’ve got degree offers for this year without that training!
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

Just to put a slightly different perspective on it have you considered a really good btec / level 3 course?
I know it means 1 extra year but it opens up the option of applying for degree courses. It also means she has some qualifications she might use in the future if she wants to go down a different path.
My daughter knows two people who have had a good experience of foundation courses. But they both went at 18. At 16 time is on your side.

(I think my daughter said performers are now offering a 2 year level 3 course instead of their pre vocational)
musicalmummy123
Nominee

Post by musicalmummy123 »

DS has been offered degree at Urdang! Lovely start to the year! =D>
Louisedunn
BRIT Award

Post by Louisedunn »

Huge congratulations to everyone who has been offered places!! So lovely to hear!! =D> =D>
Dd has also been offered a place on degree at Bird!!
Dell71
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dell71 »

Grace03 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:50 pm

Just to put a slightly different perspective on it have you considered a really good btec / level 3 course?
I know it means 1 extra year but it opens up the option of applying for degree courses. It also means she has some qualifications she might use in the future if she wants to go down a different path.
My daughter knows two people who have had a good experience of foundation courses. But they both went at 18. At 16 time is on your side.

(I think my daughter said performers are now offering a 2 year level 3 course instead of their pre vocational)
Yes, she is also auditioning for the Level 3 at Emil Dale. She's auditioning for the level 6 at Performers so will automatically get considered for the level 3 :D
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

DD is over the moon. Heard today she has been offered the degree at Urdang - along with recalls for Mountview and Arts Ed. A great start to this online audition process and a very happy teenager tonight!
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Huge congrats for those getting offers now!!! =D> You must be really relieved and obviously super proud of your DCs. The only thing now is making decisions if they get multiple offers.... :-k
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

amo185 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:11 pm DD is over the moon. Heard today she has been offered the degree at Urdang - along =D> =D> =D> =D> with recalls for Mountview and Arts Ed. A great start to this online audition process and a very happy teenager tonight!
Fantastic news, congratulations! =D> =D> =D>
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

icantdance wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:42 pm Good news for the start of the year. DS has been offered a place on the BA at Bird!
Great to hear of offers coming in, particularly in these challenging times! Congratulations! =D> =D> =D>
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

So DS is having a panic. He's got his offer from Bird on which they want a decision by this Friday and his other auditions are after that date. His dad (who is not on this site and I don't live with) has told him that if he accepts Bird then he can't go anywhere else. I'm led to believe from everybody on here that that is not the case and he could then withdraw his acceptance further down the line if he gets a "better" offer. Can anybody shed any light on the poor boy's conundrum. For all his talents, decision making is not one of them!!!
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

icantdance wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:22 pm So DS is having a panic. He's got his offer from Bird on which they want a decision by this Friday and his other auditions are after that date. His dad (who is not on this site and I don't live with) has told him that if he accepts Bird then he can't go anywhere else. I'm led to believe from everybody on here that that is not the case and he could then withdraw his acceptance further down the line if he gets a "better" offer. Can anybody shed any light on the poor boy's conundrum. For all his talents, decision making is not one of them!!!
I think people accept places and then pull out later if they get an offer somewhere else they prefer, that’s how people start moving up the reserve list. Do you have to pay a deposit? That’s the only problem is that you wouldn’t get that back if he changed his mind but it seems to be norm in the industry they are going into. We had this last year with dd, she was offered degree but we needed to accept and pay deposit within a week but she still had an audition left to do. In the end we had to pay it to secure her place but thankfully, despite a 2nd degree offer, she chose to go there anyway. A very expensive (and stressful) process this!