Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by lotsolaffs »

amo185 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:03 pm Hi all - Couple of 2021 application questions we're hoping someone can help with!
1) We are having problems when clicking on the Laine Apply Now Button - says something about Debug. Does anyone know if their applications are live? Is it just us having problems?
2) Photo requirements. We can find the Bird photo requirements clearly because you can download a hard copy of the application form. We can see reference to "headshot and arabesque pose" for Urdang but not more details and nothing for Laine or Perfomers. I think students probably have to complete the application forms to see the details. Does anyone know? Or know what was required last year? DD is getting some snaps done tomorrow before she breaks up for half term so would be great to know!
3) Audition fees. If you apply for both Diploma and Degree at the same college am I right in thinking you only pay one audition fee (if there is a charge)?
Thank you to anyone who can help!
The journey commences... :D
Hi Amo
Maybe you know but most places choose whether you do dip/degree or foundation. The choice seems to be taken away somewhat which can mess up any funding plans.
We had seven lined up , luckily mine got three early offers so pulled out of the other auditions which saved time but I would have quite liked for her to have done them just to see what might have been.
Glad it's all behind us now , best of luck !
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Thanks lotsolaffs. We know Urdang for example you just apply and see what happens and some ask for your preference (which for us depends on funding as well as the nature of the course) Some have different audition days for BA Hons v diploma but for most it's online with lots of uploading of exercises or dances, songs, monologues etc etc. Found that the Laine problem was our laptop, not universal. It's good to be getting underway and seeing where it leads! Quite happy for DD to do a gap year/foundation course given that this year, like last year, is looking less than likely not to be a smooth ride but so much depends on affordability. She is still loving her time on the EDA 6th Form course. Good luck to everyone else on the treadmill now. We're debating whether online auditions mean that many more will apply or the inverse this year. Guess only time will tell :)
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

amo185 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:08 pm Thanks lotsolaffs. We know Urdang for example you just apply and see what happens and some ask for your preference (which for us depends on funding as well as the nature of the course) Some have different audition days for BA Hons v diploma but for most it's online with lots of uploading of exercises or dances, songs, monologues etc etc. Found that the Laine problem was our laptop, not universal. It's good to be getting underway and seeing where it leads! Quite happy for DD to do a gap year/foundation course given that this year, like last year, is looking less than likely not to be a smooth ride but so much depends on affordability. She is still loving her time on the EDA 6th Form course. Good luck to everyone else on the treadmill now. We're debating whether online auditions mean that many more will apply or the inverse this year. Guess only time will tell :)
I know GSA have reduced first round auditions to £15 and MV £20 I think.
I guess many more will apply as there will be the ' why not have a go ' I remember now who your DD is, I am sure she will do well.
Glad she is enjoying EDA, mine owes much of her success to doing the 6th form there.
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

So now DD is getting down to applications, I just wondered how many schools peoples DDs and DSs were applying to. DD wants to cover as many bases as possible but has to balance that with the auditions and all the prep that goes with them in addition to A level work. She started out with six (with a dream school way out top) but I’m wondering if that is too many and whether she should drop one or two?

I’d be really interested to hear about everyone’s thoughts.

Many thanks.
Littleone
BRIT Award

Post by Littleone »

Hi 2good2hurry

My daughter auditioned 2 years ago and also applied for 6 colleges. We found that allowed her to 'cover the bases' as it were and that it was a manageable number. Of course with some being online this year it may be different as I would imagine that preparing video auditions can be very time consuming ... that said , you will gain the time spent on travelling so maybe it levels out !

Good luck with it all :D
Littleone
BRIT Award

Post by Littleone »

...I will also add that the 'Dream school' may change once your daughter has started the audition process (happened for us) so it might be best not to reduce her options too early :D
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Littleone wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:43 pm ...I will also add that the 'Dream school' may change once your daughter has started the audition process (happened for us) so it might be best not to reduce her options too early :D
I totally agree with this. Year 1 dd applied for 5 colleges and pre-auditions Urdang was her favourite, after the auditions she loved Performers most and this is where she chose (after a couple of offers) to do her Foundation course. Year 2 she thought she wanted to stay at Performers as she still loved it but she had 5 auditions again and just fell totally in love with Wilkes, she was offered places at both but chose Wilkes. So what is their favourite beforehand more than often changes, not sure how this will work if auditions are online but I think you’d still get a ‘feel’ for the place when meeting the teachers etc. Good luck to all auditioning this year, I have this again in 2yrs time with dd number 2 🤦🏽‍♀️ X
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

My DD has a couple more as she really doesn't know whether she'd be happier at a dance college or a more acting/singing one so is keeping all options open. She feels it has been more difficult not being able to visit the colleges, go to proper Open Days, see end of term shows etc or get accurate feedback from students who have all had (and are still having) a very different year to normal. No one is finding the video entry format easy - so many different routines and versions- and certainly DD and friends are really wanting at least some to be face to face. We're assuming the online process is a massive sifting effort by staff and that the "real" auditions will be face to face for those still in the running next year. Need to acquire more space on the phone now... did some trials but now no room for the real things. And I hope it can stop raining long enough one weekend to record in a conservatory! Still - everyone is just about in the same boat so guess you go with the flow and just sink or swim! :)
PS Will colleges really sit and watch every submission? Covid will most certainly be over by the time they've finished!
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

amo185 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:50 pm My DD has a couple more as she really doesn't know whether she'd be happier at a dance college or a more acting/singing one so is keeping all options open. She feels it has been more difficult not being able to visit the colleges, go to proper Open Days, see end of term shows etc or get accurate feedback from students who have all had (and are still having) a very different year to normal. No one is finding the video entry format easy - so many different routines and versions- and certainly DD and friends are really wanting at least some to be face to face. We're assuming the online process is a massive sifting effort by staff and that the "real" auditions will be face to face for those still in the running next year. Need to acquire more space on the phone now... did some trials but now no room for the real things. And I hope it can stop raining long enough one weekend to record in a conservatory! Still - everyone is just about in the same boat so guess you go with the flow and just sink or swim! :)
PS Will colleges really sit and watch every submission? Covid will most certainly be over by the time they've finished!
Does your DD do dance classes, and would she be able her dance auditions there? DS will be recording his in dance studios rather than the living room - so he'll have more space (although like you, possibly not on his phone!!). I think the singing and acting ones will be at home, but he could do the acting auditions in a studio as well I suppose, and the singing ones with his singing teacher. From what I've heard from last year, I think they make offers based on video auditions but some, such as Mount View, use it as a first audition and then 2nd audition in person. I guess you can tell if someone has talent from a video?
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

It's a shame that dance studios are currently closed although I know not all are - DD's former performance troupe are still meeting in London and rehearsing/training as normal. And some colleges are having to send kids off early due to the Government's Operation Xmas so their studios can't be used over Xmas. DD's dance lessons are on Zoom. Fortunately from the audition videos we've seen, the colleges have produced dance exercises that can be done with little space. Most have said their first round is online but I expect some may offer a place without a recall. Some ask you to talk to camera, others will do a Zoom interview. Some want a one minute dance only, some longer. And monologues plus songs appear to need to be a variety of lengths. So lots of recording - will try to up storage space on DD's phone. Definitely getting there though! :)
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

Thanks everyone for all the advice. It is really great to know that we are not alone on this journey :D
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

My DD applied for 6 colleges as that felt a manageable amount, a few years ago now so she did all her auditions in person. I would encourage you to advise your DD to try and keep an open mind about favourites. My DD went into it all with a clear favourite and a good idea of her 2nd choice. Following auditions her favourite became least favourite and she opted not to go to the final audition for her initial 2nd choice as she had an offer elsewhere that by then she much preferred. Its obviously much easier if your DC can visit and get a feel for a college - hopefully that will be possible this year for recalls. Good luck to all
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

I agree with the others about keeping an open mind. When my DD was doing the audition rounds she knew exactly where she wanted to go and where she definitely didn't want to go. Used the one she didn't want to go to as an early audition for experience.
In the end the one she hated the one she thought was the one for her and fell in love with her definite no. She's now in her third year there and loves the place.

As others have said before the right college will choose the right student. Good luck
musicalmummy123
Nominee

Post by musicalmummy123 »

Good news to end of the year! DS has been offered a place at Bird!
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

That's really great news! Well done to your DS! Bird seem to have got their act together quickly this year - we've heard of several offers for both degree and diploma. A great way to end the term and in time for Xmas celebrations! Fantastic! :D