Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Dancecrazy »

Red wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:31 pm My dd has had a phone call today offering her a place at Laine. Wonderful news, we are just waiting on Bird and Arts Ed now to hear back from , Sarah Carroll said unfortunately they had no more scholarships to offer 🤞
That’s absolutely wonderful news . Big congratulations to your dd :D
Red
BRIT Award

Post by Red »

Thank you. The long wait was definitely worth it. Hopefully the other two will not be far behind with news
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Red wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:31 pm My dd has had a phone call today offering her a place at Laine. Wonderful news, we are just waiting on Bird and Arts Ed now to hear back from , Sarah Carroll said unfortunately they had no more scholarships to offer 🤞
Well done. She must be getting through her emails now! We know people still waiting to hear too. And for funding that was offered back in Jan.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Two got funding offers for Dadas from Laine this week but she confirmed about two weeks ago there are no bursaries or anymore Dadas available - she is very long in replying - the fees for Laine are probably the highest around - don't even think they have announced what their 2020/2021 fees are going to be - they were 18,225 for last year without any living/accommodation costs. Performers can definitely give you an idea of where you sit on any list - have found them brilliant in replying and giving you an idea on things. Also I know quite a few who have deferred their Laine place to 2021 so how that will affect their audition process for next year I'm not sure.
dancingpickles
Nominee

Post by dancingpickles »

Amazing news! Well done to your dd. 😁😁
We are still waiting to hear from them but have been offered dada funding from Performers today so I have emailed Laine and explained our situation. 🤞🤞
Peggyo
Nominee

Post by Peggyo »

That is amazing news, this is my first time posting, and we are just waiting to hear from Laine for my DD which is her preferred school. May 2020 has seemed like the longest month waiting for some response from them. I wonder why they aren’t letting everyone know at once about the DaDA’s!!! :? When you said they have no more scholarships to offer did this include DaDA’s? Well done again to you DD =D> =D> =D> :D do you think it helped because you emailed them?
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

For all those who had already auditioned before the pandemic and were due to go back in April for funding auditions they decided use their original auditions to decide the Dadas - the Dadas have all be decided upon according to Sarah Carroll and a lot know already but she messaged 66 people who got places to say they weren't on the reserve list for Dadas and they could defer their place, pay the full fees or decline so if you auditioned after all the madness you may still get one who know - it's a long detailed process she says so seems to be doing them bit by bit. She is only looking at the forms for those who are down to be considered for one but its very hard to get any response - I emailed on 13th May and haven't even had an acknowledgement - same happened in February when I sent back all the registration forms - she didn't reply to messages for 5 weeks. Also apparently the funding for students who will be going into 2nd and 3rd year was more than previous years due to all the madness going on.
Peggyo
Nominee

Post by Peggyo »

Tess50 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:52 am For all those who had already auditioned before the pandemic and were due to go back in April for funding auditions they decided use their original auditions to decide the Dadas - the Dadas have all be decided upon according to Sarah Carroll and a lot know already but she messaged 66 people who got places to say they weren't on the reserve list for Dadas and they could defer their place, pay the full fees or decline so if you auditioned after all the madness you may still get one who know - it's a long detailed process she says so seems to be doing them bit by bit. She is only looking at the forms for those who are down to be considered for one but its very hard to get any response - I emailed on 13th May and haven't even had an acknowledgement - same happened in February when I sent back all the registration forms - she didn't reply to messages for 5 weeks. Also apparently the funding for students who will be going into 2nd and 3rd year was more than previous years due to all the madness going on.
My DD auditioned in person before the lockdown, and was due to attend the funding audition, which was cancelled as you said. We didn’t get the email that she had been unsuccessful in getting funding this year. So still keeping everything crossed that there is some potential but it is soooo stressful constantly checking emails and for missed calls :lol: :lol: :lol: keep thinking no news is good news.
I wonder if Sarah is still working next week as half-term? Thanks 😊
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Well that sounds hopeful for your daughter then - if you message her and say it's urgent she may call you back as I've heard a few got calls when they did that - best of luck sounds very promising therefore for your daughter - as you say no news is good news - so awful for those on the list that everyone could see who didn't get considered for them - some amazing dancers and performers on there and my daughters friend found out from her friend that she wasn't on the list as the email was sent to the students not the parents and she still believed and hoped she'd get one as she hadn't checked her messages. Fingers crossed for your daughter.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

One of the issues is that they don’t have a set amount of DaDas. It’s a pot of money. So colleges ask auditionees to complete a declaration of income self assessment form. However this isn’t totally accurate so some colleges offer funding to only those amount of people they are sure they can cover until a more detailed government issued form is filled in. You have to send things like copies of your P60 with this form but employers don’t have to issue P60’s until 31st May so there will be many DaDa recipients who haven’t returned their forms yet.

Then as people accept or decline their DaDas the process repeats as funding is offered down the waiting list. If a recipient over estimated their income on the self declaration form the college might find they can offer more funding & vice versa.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

And this year there are likely to be a higher proportion of families who will apply to be assessed on their current income rather than last tax year due to a significant change. This is used in cases of redundancy/death of a parent/loss of other income.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Well surely it has to be on last tax year as that wouldn't be fair as we in Ireland have our tax year from January to December so our P60's would show the figures from then - my husband and myself have had a significant pay cut - working 5 days for 4 days pay but that wasn't taken into consideration and it can't be one rule for one and one for others - it would have to be fair across the board
Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancecrazy »

Tess50 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:11 pm Well surely it has to be on last tax year as that wouldn't be fair as we in Ireland have our tax year from January to December so our P60's would show the figures from then - my husband and myself have had a significant pay cut - working 5 days for 4 days pay but that wasn't taken into consideration and it can't be one rule for one and one for others - it would have to be fair across the board
We didn’t apply for DaDas so don’t really know the full details about them . Is it possible that priority is now being given to British citizens rather than those from EU countries as a result of Brexit or have the rules stayed the same? The process doesn’t sound very transparent does it?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

The rules are clear that eligible students have to be scored and ranked in order of talent. At the college my daughter attends those doing the scoring/ranking have no idea of the students financial or residence situation.

With regards to being assessed on current income. It’s similar to student finance in that it has to be quite a significant change to be re-assessed. My daughters college said a drop in income of a certain percentage was mentioned but I’m afraid I can’t remember what. I’ve Known it happen if a parent has been made redundant.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

This is the 19-20 info. The website hasn’t been updated for 20-Institutions assess the amount of financial support a student is entitled to based on nationally set income bands. Household income is used to determine the level of financial support for both fees and living costs (maintenance).

“Institutions will normally use the income assessment undertaken at the beginning of the students’ first academic year on the TCL diploma course to set the amount of tuition fee support for the whole of their course. However, an income assessment must be undertaken each year to establish the amount of living costs support the student is entitled to receive.

Institutions are required to undertake income assessments for new starters (for both tuition fees and living costs) and for students who are returning for their second and third year (for living costs only) using the income bands for the 2019 to 2020 academic year. Where information provided by returning students shows a change in their circumstances that has significantly increased or decreased their household income, institutions may wish to use their discretion to reassess them for tuition fees.“