Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

jazzhandsmand
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by jazzhandsmand »

Freya2000 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:01 am
jazzhandsmand wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:10 pm Does anyone know if you have to pay a deposit when you accept the degree offer at Performers? Got a real dilemma here, dd been offered degree at Performers and Foundation at Urdang (her dream school). Doesn't know what to do for the best. Any opinions or experiences with either of these?
Getting a foundation offer from urdang is an amazing achievement. In my opinion urdang is slightly ahead of performers in terms of training and outcome. Being in central London means they're more likely to be visited by industry scouts and the urdang dancers who danced with hugh Jackman at the brit awards last year were astounding! If you can afford it I would personally go for your daughter's dream college and then she'll stand a very high chance of getting on their degree course next year x
Thanks Freya2000. I said the same to my dd about the foundation offer. We have the same opinion as you about Urdang. There are pros and cons to both Urdang and Performers tbh. Difficult decision.
Duncemum
BRIT Award

Post by Duncemum »

Tess50 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:13 am Its difficult alright - that's what they are going off - my daughter got a gold card at Urdangs open day back in December - only 8 out of just over 100 got one and she had built up her hopes that they were interested but then got a recall but could only then send a video for her recall audition and then they didn't accept her - I know lots of 16 year olds this year who didn't seem to get accepted into Urdang. Two of the teachers there that day Lucy Banfield and Angeline I think called her afterwards and said she did amazing so then to get a no was an odd one. Then her friend who's a boy didn't get in at all but was told he's on a waiting list - really don't understand how it's done as how can that be fair that he didn't get in but is put on a waiting list - maybe different rules for the Boys. Anyone have anything positive re Performers ? I heard getting accommodation nearby and transport links etc aren't the best and that would be a factor for my daughter coming back and forth to Ireland ? Also anyone know how far down the reserve list for Laine did get Dadas last year ?
I don’t know for sure but I’ll bet that it’s pretty easy to get from Basildon to Stansted or City airport?
Always get a great vibe at performers, but to be fair they all feel like great places! The boys on the open day were very positive about Performers being great for boys. Seemed a very nurturing place! To be fair not had a bad vibe from any of them though! It’s quite hard to differentiate once you’re talking about MT courses at any of the places that are often talked about on here. Location and year group size seem to be the main ones. I feel like some get a dancy rep, others and acting/singing but that’s more to do with the roots of the college and the reality seems to be that the courses are all quite balanced.
Performers has recently been bought by the BIMM group which could lead to some interesting developments and opportunities for students?
Freya2000
Nominee

Post by Freya2000 »

jazzhandsmand wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:06 pm
Freya2000 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:01 am
jazzhandsmand wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:10 pm Does anyone know if you have to pay a deposit when you accept the degree offer at Performers? Got a real dilemma here, dd been offered degree at Performers and Foundation at Urdang (her dream school). Doesn't know what to do for the best. Any opinions or experiences with either of these?
Getting a foundation offer from urdang is an amazing achievement. In my opinion urdang is slightly ahead of performers in terms of training and outcome. Being in central London means they're more likely to be visited by industry scouts and the urdang dancers who danced with hugh Jackman at the brit awards last year were astounding! If you can afford it I would personally go for your daughter's dream college and then she'll stand a very high chance of getting on their degree course next year x
Thanks Freya2000. I said the same to my dd about the foundation offer. We have the same opinion as you about Urdang. There are pros and cons to both Urdang and Performers tbh. Difficult decision.
Yes, she should feel very proud! She will have been competing at her audition with girls aged 19/20 many of whom will have already done a foundation year somewhere. Its very disheartening when they don't get into a school that they've set their heart on, but I agree with others in this forum that not getting what they want first time around is actually beneficial in the long run as it better prepares them for the industry, makes them more robust and also makes them much more thankful when they do get the offers they really want x
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Duncemum wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:26 pm
Tess50 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:13 am Its difficult alright - that's what they are going off - my daughter got a gold card at Urdangs open day back in December - only 8 out of just over 100 got one and she had built up her hopes that they were interested but then got a recall but could only then send a video for her recall audition and then they didn't accept her - I know lots of 16 year olds this year who didn't seem to get accepted into Urdang. Two of the teachers there that day Lucy Banfield and Angeline I think called her afterwards and said she did amazing so then to get a no was an odd one. Then her friend who's a boy didn't get in at all but was told he's on a waiting list - really don't understand how it's done as how can that be fair that he didn't get in but is put on a waiting list - maybe different rules for the Boys. Anyone have anything positive re Performers ? I heard getting accommodation nearby and transport links etc aren't the best and that would be a factor for my daughter coming back and forth to Ireland ? Also anyone know how far down the reserve list for Laine did get Dadas last year ?
I don’t know for sure but I’ll bet that it’s pretty easy to get from Basildon to Stansted or City airport?
Always get a great vibe at performers, but to be fair they all feel like great places! The boys on the open day were very positive about Performers being great for boys. Seemed a very nurturing place! To be fair not had a bad vibe from any of them though! It’s quite hard to differentiate once you’re talking about MT courses at any of the places that are often talked about on here. Location and year group size seem to be the main ones. I feel like some get a dancy rep, others and acting/singing but that’s more to do with the roots of the college and the reality seems to be that the courses are all quite balanced.
Performers has recently been bought by the BIMM group which could lead to some interesting developments and opportunities for students?
The year is growing hugely from September, first year growing from 120 to 185. Was difficult through finding accommodation for my dd at Performers this year so lord knows what it will be like with an extra 65 students!
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Lakeviewp wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm It’s just one list for Laine but when the letters go out the top ones from the list will get offers and then everyone else will get a letter stating which number they are on the reserve list. Some who are offered a DADA will turn it down if they prefer somewhere else, or realise they can’t afford the accommodation. The list does move, but our experience last year was that it moved very slowly - or it certainly felt that way!
Think my question has got lost but do you know if the laine letters are just yes or the place on the list? Do some get nos?
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

That's a big increase - on the freshers talk with the principal Tracey last night she said each course will have approx 50 students but apart from Laine the numbers seem to be around 150 for the 3 courses, foundation, diploma and degree but 185 seems a huge group - oh gosh that's mad - for Laine I believe everyone gets a letter saying you either got a Dada or your number on the reserve list for Dada - so the 1-10 can be hopeful but after that I believe it's harder to be optimistic but someone else said her some years the list moves and others it barely moves so it seems like a waiting game
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Thanks for that. We aren't hopeful and this waiting is awful.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

I know it's tough alright - hard enough in lockdown now waiting on decisions too :roll:
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Tess50 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:22 pm That's a big increase - on the freshers talk with the principal Tracey last night she said each course will have approx 50 students but apart from Laine the numbers seem to be around 150 for the 3 courses, foundation, diploma and degree but 185 seems a huge group - oh gosh that's mad - for Laine I believe everyone gets a letter saying you either got a Dada or your number on the reserve list for Dada - so the 1-10 can be hopeful but after that I believe it's harder to be optimistic but someone else said her some years the list moves and others it barely moves so it seems like a waiting game
That’s what friends of my daughter’s told her who were in the zoom meeting, 50 Pre-Voc and then First Year split was something like 60 Diploma and 125 Degree (or 50/135].
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

OMG surely that can't be right - an intake of approx 235 in total ? That's a huge intake - might message them to find out.
dancingdreams
Nominee

Post by dancingdreams »

DD’s friend was on the zoom last night and said it’s 135 people on degree and 50 on diploma (roughly), does seem like a lot but she also mentioned they may be extending their building??
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

My daughter mustn't have been listening properly lol !!
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

dancingdreams wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:14 pm DD’s friend was on the zoom last night and said it’s 135 people on degree and 50 on diploma (roughly), does seem like a lot but she also mentioned they may be extending their building??
Yes extending was mentioned. The thing I’d be worried about is we really struggled to find dd accommodation, ended up really lucky and getting her a fab room but at the start of the course a couple were staying in a hotel and I know a lot ended up paying privately a lot more than my daughter, we paid £420pm with bills, one of her friends was paying £565! As the third year that is leaving is small, probably only 100 students max, plus the 49 Pre-Vocs (although some are staying), where are the other 100 rooms coming from? This was my biggest concern at dd moving colleges as didn’t want to go through all that again but thankfully it would appear that Wilkes has an agency who find your accommodation for you as they own it all. It’s just one stress after another in this business isn’t it? And I have another dd wanting to do the same in 3yrs time!
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Oh gosh that's what I'm worried about as my daughter will be moving from Ireland over and she was only 17 last week so want to make sure she gets somewhere she's happy and try save on costs for transport etc - I believe a few years ago they were going to build student accommodation but it never happened - oh gosh its stress alright - is your girl going to Wilkes then ? Thank god I've only the one wanting to follow this path - at least you'll be an expert in 3 years time x
Lakeviewp
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lakeviewp »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:14 pm
Lakeviewp wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm It’s just one list for Laine but when the letters go out the top ones from the list will get offers and then everyone else will get a letter stating which number they are on the reserve list. Some who are offered a DADA will turn it down if they prefer somewhere else, or realise they can’t afford the accommodation. The list does move, but our experience last year was that it moved very slowly - or it certainly felt that way!
Think my question has got lost but do you know if the laine letters are just yes or the place on the list? Do some get nos?
Hello! Everyone who would have attended the DADA auditions (so those who are waiting) will either get a Yes or a ‘you are #x on the boys /girls waiting list’. Some get a phone call before the letter arrives. I checked and our letters were received on Sat May 18th last year.

Good luck! It’s a lovely college and my son is loving it there!