Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Lakeviewp
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Lakeviewp »

It’s just one list for Laine but when the letters go out the top ones from the list will get offers and then everyone else will get a letter stating which number they are on the reserve list. Some who are offered a DADA will turn it down if they prefer somewhere else, or realise they can’t afford the accommodation. The list does move, but our experience last year was that it moved very slowly - or it certainly felt that way!
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Thanks so much - don't think too many will turn it down going off the phone call today she just said don't miss the opportunity to get the Dada from Performers - so tough for them when they really loved a college but sure she knows she's lucky to even have a Dada and she found everyone in Performers so helpful. Hope your son is enjoying Laine x
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Tess50 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:14 pm Hi all, thanks so much for replies - finally got through today and was told that she's half way down the list and as it stands she couldn't be sure she'd get A Dada as the marks are extremely close for everyone - she said there is 10 on the same mark and my daughter is just below that - my daughter was just on a group zoom call with a group that have set up an online chat thing and that's where a lot of the foundation students mentioned they had gotten their Dadas so wasn't trying to say they all got them but that's what she was told - she'd have preferred Laine but it looks like it will be Performers as there's no way we could afford the fees otherwise - so is there 2 lists for Laine - a list of where you stand and a reserve list ?
Hi. Can I ask how you contacted Laine as I have emailed about dada timeline and am not getting anywhere? Very woolly replies. Maybe I am not asking directly enough.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

I had emailed 4 times no reply - only when I said I had to get back to Performers and left a phone number saying it was urgent did I get call back
jazzhandsmand
BRIT Award

Post by jazzhandsmand »

Duncemum wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:28 pm Yep, that’s us! What to do what to do!?
Quite frustrating all of this really. DD seems to think Urdang get a better graduate success but I don't know if that's true or not... it's hard to tell.
Duncemum
BRIT Award

Post by Duncemum »

jazzhandsmand wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:27 am
Duncemum wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:28 pm Yep, that’s us! What to do what to do!?
Quite frustrating all of this really. DD seems to think Urdang get a better graduate success but I don't know if that's true or not... it's hard to tell.
Yes, it’s hard to tell isn’t it? Both seem to get plenty of alumni into West end programmes. Once the kids get something in their heads it seems to stick though! My DD felt Urdang and Performers had quite different atmospheres and approach to training about them - but this is only based on a weeks summer school at each.
Good luck!
jazzhandsmand
BRIT Award

Post by jazzhandsmand »

Duncemum wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:54 am
jazzhandsmand wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:27 am
Yes, it’s hard to tell isn’t it? Both seem to get plenty of alumni into West end programmes. Once the kids get something in their heads it seems to stick though! My DD felt Urdang and Performers had quite different atmospheres and approach to training about them - but this is only based on a weeks summer school at each.
Good luck!
I know they seem to change their minds a lot don’t they!! What are your thoughts on Urdang being better training in triple threat than performers?? And what did your dd think about the different atmospheres?
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Its difficult alright - that's what they are going off - my daughter got a gold card at Urdangs open day back in December - only 8 out of just over 100 got one and she had built up her hopes that they were interested but then got a recall but could only then send a video for her recall audition and then they didn't accept her - I know lots of 16 year olds this year who didn't seem to get accepted into Urdang. Two of the teachers there that day Lucy Banfield and Angeline I think called her afterwards and said she did amazing so then to get a no was an odd one. Then her friend who's a boy didn't get in at all but was told he's on a waiting list - really don't understand how it's done as how can that be fair that he didn't get in but is put on a waiting list - maybe different rules for the Boys. Anyone have anything positive re Performers ? I heard getting accommodation nearby and transport links etc aren't the best and that would be a factor for my daughter coming back and forth to Ireland ? Also anyone know how far down the reserve list for Laine did get Dadas last year ?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Tess50 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:13 am Its difficult alright - that's what they are going off - my daughter got a gold card at Urdangs open day back in December - only 8 out of just over 100 got one and she had built up her hopes that they were interested but then got a recall but could only then send a video for her recall audition and then they didn't accept her - I know lots of 16 year olds this year who didn't seem to get accepted into Urdang. Two of the teachers there that day Lucy Banfield and Angeline I think called her afterwards and said she did amazing so then to get a no was an odd one. Then her friend who's a boy didn't get in at all but was told he's on a waiting list - really don't understand how it's done as how can that be fair that he didn't get in but is put on a waiting list - maybe different rules for the Boys. Anyone have anything positive re Performers ? I heard getting accommodation nearby and transport links etc aren't the best and that would be a factor for my daughter coming back and forth to Ireland ? Also anyone know how far down the reserve list for Laine did get Dadas last year ?
I would say different rules for boys at all colleges and they are whatever they want them to be.
We went to CDMT and watched a Performers class, the teacher was great, very dynamic and he and the students had a good relationship, that was evident. I really liked what I saw.

I have lost track of this particular thread but I would say accept a degree over a foundation, mine was offered two, Arted Ed and Mountview but didn't want to do either as knew it would cost a fortune.

We as parents are sometimes led to believe at first that DADA's are offered like sweeties at some colleges and then we find this isn't true further down the line. It was a big revelation that when a college gets it's DADA funding it has to support students in years 2 and 3 too, the pot then begins to look a bit emptier. Mine turned down her Laine place as was offered degree at GSA .
I can honestly say by now I would be a nervous wreck waiting to hear about funding. Best of luck to you all waiting to hear, I know we were lucky to have a place offered so early.
jazzhandsmand
BRIT Award

Post by jazzhandsmand »

Tess50 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:13 am Its difficult alright - that's what they are going off - my daughter got a gold card at Urdangs open day back in December - only 8 out of just over 100 got one and she had built up her hopes that they were interested but then got a recall but could only then send a video for her recall audition and then they didn't accept her - I know lots of 16 year olds this year who didn't seem to get accepted into Urdang. Two of the teachers there that day Lucy Banfield and Angeline I think called her afterwards and said she did amazing so then to get a no was an odd one. Then her friend who's a boy didn't get in at all but was told he's on a waiting list - really don't understand how it's done as how can that be fair that he didn't get in but is put on a waiting list - maybe different rules for the Boys. Anyone have anything positive re Performers ? I heard getting accommodation nearby and transport links etc aren't the best and that would be a factor for my daughter coming back and forth to Ireland ? Also anyone know how far down the reserve list for Laine did get Dadas last year ?
My daughter was the same with the gold card... she got one in the pre audition course then got recall then video submission and then foundation so I might give them a call on Monday and ask about waiting list for the degree
Freya2000
Nominee

Post by Freya2000 »

jazzhandsmand wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:10 pm Does anyone know if you have to pay a deposit when you accept the degree offer at Performers? Got a real dilemma here, dd been offered degree at Performers and Foundation at Urdang (her dream school). Doesn't know what to do for the best. Any opinions or experiences with either of these?
Getting a foundation offer from urdang is an amazing achievement. In my opinion urdang is slightly ahead of performers in terms of training and outcome. Being in central London means they're more likely to be visited by industry scouts and the urdang dancers who danced with hugh Jackman at the brit awards last year were astounding! If you can afford it I would personally go for your daughter's dream college and then she'll stand a very high chance of getting on their degree course next year x
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Regarding the laine letters coming out in May - are they only a yes or where they are on the dada reserve list or do some get no's?
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Thanks lotsolaffs - well done getting GSA that's fantastic - we did 5 in London all within a week - she got London Studio, Laine, Bird and Performers - Urdang was the recall - she's was only 16 so could only get diploma with some and degree with others - with the costings we decided to go for diploma and with Performers you can still get your degree at the end - she found the principal and staff at Performers really nice and now with the Dada it's the top option - some dancers from Performers actually were on the Hugh Jackman world tour so I do think it's down to the individual too.
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

Tess50 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:11 am Thanks lotsolaffs - well done getting GSA that's fantastic - we did 5 in London all within a week - she got London Studio, Laine, Bird and Performers - Urdang was the recall - she's was only 16 so could only get diploma with some and degree with others - with the costings we decided to go for diploma and with Performers you can still get your degree at the end - she found the principal and staff at Performers really nice and now with the Dada it's the top option - some dancers from Performers actually were on the Hugh Jackman world tour so I do think it's down to the individual too.
Sent you a DM
jazzhandsmand
BRIT Award

Post by jazzhandsmand »

lotsolaffs wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:30 am
I would say different rules for boys at all colleges and they are whatever they want them to be.
We went to CDMT and watched a Performers class, the teacher was great, very dynamic and he and the students had a good relationship, that was evident. I really liked what I saw.

I have lost track of this particular thread but I would say accept a degree over a foundation, mine was offered two, Arted Ed and Mountview but didn't want to do either as knew it would cost a fortune.

We as parents are sometimes led to believe at first that DADA's are offered like sweeties at some colleges and then we find this isn't true further down the line. It was a big revelation that when a college gets it's DADA funding it has to support students in years 2 and 3 too, the pot then begins to look a bit emptier. Mine turned down her Laine place as was offered degree at GSA .
I can honestly say by now I would be a nervous wreck waiting to hear about funding. Best of luck to you all waiting to hear, I know we were lucky to have a place offered so early.
Thanks lotsolaffs. Big decisions ahead for us. Congrats on the GSA offer