Is it ok to say 'no' to audition

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

purpleflower
Nominee

Is it ok to say 'no' to audition

Post by purpleflower »

Hello,

I wonder if it is ok to say 'no' to an audition if I know DD has little chance of getting through? Would agent be offended? DD has been called for Matilda via agent but is already at max height and she's only turning 9 in March. I feel it would be a wasted trip and she's better off working on her dance and go for the ensemble roles in 6-12 months time. As they like to see 'new' girls, will the attendance for Matilda audition reduce her chances of being called for ensemble roles later? Appreciate any advice. Thanks very much.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Is it ok to say 'no' to audition

Post by admin »

Its always OK to say no to an audition. I'm not from a musical theatre background but I'm told the experience of attending one of Jo Hawes casting sessions are always excellent and if they are too tall I have seen others say they have been called for ensemble later. Have you tried talking to your agent for advice?
Hope Never Dies....
Shenks
Nominee

Post by Shenks »

Agree it is always ok to say 'no' to an audition. The agent's reaction will probably depend on what relationship you have with them, how frequently you turn down auditions and your reasons for doing. I think you are being realistic about your daughter's Matilda chances but would say the following for you to consider. I don't think been seen now for Matilda would affect your daughters chances for Ensemble. It could even help. It is not uncommon for the Jessica Ronane team to say that they would like to see a child in 6 months for Ensemble off the back of a Matilda casting performance. They also like to work with the kids over time to get to know them so the earlier your daughter gets in front of the Casting team, the better.
A couple of other things for you to consider before saying no.
If your daughter (and you:-) has no experience at all of Musical Theatre auditioning, then it is definitely worth giving them the experience of having to go in with 15-20 other kids, perform in front of them and the casting team, and then get told afterwards to their faces whether they have progressed or not (normally done in a very sympathetic manner). If you have experienced it already then you will know it is a fairly brutal process, even when done nicely. You can set their expectations low ("this is for experience - no one is expecting anything, etc") Will mean that when you want it to count they at least know what they have to do and what to expect.
The other thing to consider is that it is never a bad thing to get in front of good Casting teams. Matilda is not the only thing Jessica Ronane cast (RSC and Old Vic jobs spring immediately to mind) and I have had both my kids get other roles by impressing casting teams (including JR) at auditions which ultimately did not go their way.
All the best, which ever way you go with it.
purpleflower
Nominee

Post by purpleflower »

Thank you admin and shenks for the incredibly helpful advice. We don't have a relationship with the agent, they only approached us earlier this year, in fact, we have not yet signed a contract with them. Based on what you've kindly shared, we would go ahead - it'll be a useful experience and exposure for her. Thanks again, we're very grateful to you taking time to help us with this.