Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

becmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by becmum »

dancingdreams wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:11 am My daughter has almost finished auditioning and we’re thrilled with the outcome! We went into the process hoping just for something somewhere but she has been offered degree at Wilkes, MT diploma at Conti Barbican, diploma at Tiffany’s and pre-voc at Performers. She also has a recall for LIPA Dance at the end of March. She’s turned down Performers and Tiffany’s and at the moment is fairly set on Wilkes as this was where she loved most out of everywhere. She also loved LIPA so if she manages to get a place she’ll be deciding between LIPA and Wilkes. Does anyone have any experience of either school or any suggestions (also about Conti as this isn’t completely ruled out yet!)??
Congratulations to your DD! Bet she’s thrilled. No info on Wilkes or LIPA I’m afraid but good luck with the decision making. A great position to be in 👏
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

As Jonathan Wilkes is local to me the college has traditionally recruited quite a few dancers from my local area. I also know a couple of people who teach there. My husband went down two years running to work on one of their shows.

Overall impression has been good, an impressive set up with good graduate outcomes.

My husband has also worked at LIPA, but not on the dance course. I know quite a few successful LIPA graduates but they have all been from the Acting course which I gather is very good. We saw them at the CDMT careers conference a couple of years ago and to be honest I wasn't overly impressed with the standard of the Dance.
Littleone
BRIT Award

Post by Littleone »

Congratulations to your daughter dancing dreams :D ...what a nice position to be in !
I don't have any experience of Wilkes but my daughter was offered a place at LIPA last year. She found the audition experience at LIPA really positive and she really liked the feel of it so it wasn't a straightforward decision to make it her 'Insurance' rather than her 'firm' (Urdang) on UCAS. I liked the idea of there only being a small year group (32) which I expect is smaller than that at Wilkes....and certainly smaller than Urdang... and also liked the emphasis on collaboration with students on other courses at LIPA . The other thing to consider I guess, is the degree qualification .. at LIPA it is a BA Dance but at Wilkes I believe BA in MT . I know they do do singing/acting at LIPA but I expect there is a different balance at Wilkes.. so it might depend what your DD would ideally like to do post qualification ! Not sure if that has helped ... best of Luck to your duaghter for her remaining auditions and decisions !
daisy1
GRAMMY Award

Post by daisy1 »

dancingdreams wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:11 am My daughter has almost finished auditioning and we’re thrilled with the outcome! We went into the process hoping just for something somewhere but she has been offered degree at Wilkes, MT diploma at Conti Barbican, diploma at Tiffany’s and pre-voc at Performers. She also has a recall for LIPA Dance at the end of March. She’s turned down Performers and Tiffany’s and at the moment is fairly set on Wilkes as this was where she loved most out of everywhere. She also loved LIPA so if she manages to get a place she’ll be deciding between LIPA and Wilkes. Does anyone have any experience of either school or any suggestions (also about Conti as this isn’t completely ruled out yet!)??
Congratulations to your DD on her offers, she’s done brilliantly! Good luck to everyone still auditioning or waiting for results. My DD also has some decisions to make, she’s had offers from MTA, Chichester Triple Threat and LCM, and after auditioning for mountview BA was asked to audition for the foundation course, which hasn’t happened yet. It’s a really great position to be in, but so difficult to make the choice!
sailorgirluae
BRIT Award

Post by sailorgirluae »

\:D/ D
Last edited by sailorgirluae on Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Wow that's amazing. Lots of decisions to be made!
Last edited by Dancemum1973 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

I love hearing these offers coming in, it’s been so quiet on here this year, congrats to everyone. Dd hasn’t started yet, first audition at Bird is on Monday then she has Wilkes, Urdang, Performers and Central up to 3rd April so keeping everything crossed she has something by Easter 🤞🏼. Keep up the good news guys xx
Kingy
Nominee

Post by Kingy »

Hi all, I have been viewing this site since last year and have been very grateful for all the info that I have gained from it. As a complete novice this time last year, I am now attempting to post details of our experience so that it may benefit those who are new this year. My DD was very happy to get a recall at GSA and offers of foundation at Bird and Laban last year but is now doing the rounds again to secure a MT degree place. Bearing in mind she was a gymnast and had not taken dance lessons from a young age, we felt that we should give her the chance to improve her skills and have found the money to allow her to take up the Bird foundation offer. For those who end up with a similar decision to make this year I have to say that it has worked wonders for her confidence and seems to have been worth it as, although she wasn’t offered a recall at GSA this year ( :( very disappointing after last year), she was offered a degree place on the spot following her audition at Performers last week \:D/. She was over the moon and is so grateful to know that she has a secure place for September. She is at Laban again today and has Urdang, Emil Dale and Bird to come so will see how she gets on. If I can get to grips with this posting thing then I’m happy to answer any questions some of you might have, if I can! Last year DD auditioned for Bird, Urdang, IC Theatre (was BRICTT) in Brighton, Laban and GSA. Well done to all who have had successes so far, I know how expensive stressful this process can be!
Itsastrangeworld
BRIT Award

Post by Itsastrangeworld »

My DD is currently a second year at Wilkes and has been delighted with her decision to train there (following successful auditions with Urdang, Laines, Bird and Performers). This was absolutely a case of the College choosing her. The teaching faculty and principals are outstanding, and very supportive. My DD wanted to experience working within the industry as part of her training and has had plenty of opportunities to perform (Move it, Panto, Annual Show etc.) My DD was strong in ballet, modern and tap but the commercial, MT, singing and acting training has been fantastic and she now feels a more rounded performer.
If DC want to work hard I believe that can be successful anywhere but when you find somewhere that fits perfectly it makes the hard work far more enjoyable (we all know how tough it can be!). I would highly recommend Wilkes and the progress and success of graduates speaks for itself and continues to improve each year with experience.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Anyone have a dd or ds going to or auditioning for Bodyworks?
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

My DD was offered unconditional place on BA at GSA this afternoon after her recall on Saturday. So,so pleased for her and just glad now that this is all over. She will turn her Laine place down now.
Keep going everyone x
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

jasmine2 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:12 pm Anyone have a dd or ds going to or auditioning for Bodyworks?
My dd is going next Thursday
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

lotsolaffs wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:17 pm My DD was offered unconditional place on BA at GSA this afternoon after her recall on Saturday. So,so pleased for her and just glad now that this is all over. She will turn her Laine place down now.
Keep going everyone x
That's great news!!!!
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

lotsolaffs wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:17 pm My DD was offered unconditional place on BA at GSA this afternoon after her recall on Saturday. So,so pleased for her and just glad now that this is all over. She will turn her Laine place down now.
Keep going everyone x
Congratulations well done👍
sailorgirluae
BRIT Award

Post by sailorgirluae »

Keep going everyone x
That’s fantastic news well done to your DD.
Last edited by sailorgirluae on Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.