Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Not sure how true but dd was told yesterday that they plan on selling Barbican to pay off some debts from the fraud and what’s left will more than cover the building/renovation of the new centre which is rumoured to be at Guildford. So they will only have one site. This unnerves me as it will involve having to move accommodation and what happens if the sale goes through mid term? They could be living in central London and having to travel everyday out to Guildford! My dd is still adamant at auditioning though as she didn’t like the Barbican studios anyway so just sees the new premises as a bonus as she did love the IC ‘feel’. Kids don’t think logically like us though do they?
Sparkle13
BRIT Award

Post by Sparkle13 »

My dd has auditioned for performers - offered foundation, Laine - offered 3 year course, urdang offered foundation, she has Bird next week, her favourite is Laine but she can only go if we get some dada funding, these auditions are in April, does anyone know how many dada auditionees get funding? And are some offered part funding? Could manage some of the fees? Trying to work out if she is likely to get some funding, if not what is the likelihood of her getting on a 3 yr course after a year foundation, any advice is very welcome, this is all new to me.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Sparkle13
Mine has also been offered 3y at Laine and will be at the funding audition. If you look up Laine Ofsted you can get an idea of how many have funding.
The DADA allocation doesn't just cover new students, it covers those in y2 and y3 so the amount does have to be spread.
Fingers crossed for us both, no funding, no Laine for us.
Sparkle13
BRIT Award

Post by Sparkle13 »

Thank you lotsoflaffs I will have a look, good luck to you too, fingers crossed, it’s so stressful but looking at dates people found out last year we have a way to go.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Sparkle13 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:49 am My dd has auditioned for performers - offered foundation, Laine - offered 3 year course, urdang offered foundation, she has Bird next week, her favourite is Laine but she can only go if we get some dada funding, these auditions are in April, does anyone know how many dada auditionees get funding? And are some offered part funding? Could manage some of the fees? Trying to work out if she is likely to get some funding, if not what is the likelihood of her getting on a 3 yr course after a year foundation, any advice is very welcome, this is all new to me.
My daughter is on the pre-voc at Performers currently so will let you know how successful it is after her audition at the end of March! She was also offered Foundation at Bird but upon reading up on both courses, Performers seem to have better percentage of people going on to further training (in fact 100% for the last few years). It is an amazing course, they are taught by the same tutors as the other years which I don’t think happens at Bird (don’t know about Urdang) and she has learnt so much. It is also a lovely college to be at, very friendly and supportive and my dd is desperate to stay there, we shall see!
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

islandofsodor wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:00 am Dada's own rules state that funding can't be offered until after a date in March, possibly 31st March and after all auditionees have been seen and ranked. We found out in May at Hammond.
I know people who have had letters with dada funding offers already from Laine and Bird. Maybe its to say they will get a definite offer of funding when they come out later in the year. They don't have to go back for a funding audition.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Re Laine DADA's I think they are allowed to offer a provisional DADA funded place but of course until they receive all paperwork back how do Laine or any other institution know what household income is. If it is over the £90,000 they can't get DADA funding anyway.
Sparkle13
BRIT Award

Post by Sparkle13 »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:22 pm
Sparkle13 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:49 am My dd has auditioned for performers - offered foundation, Laine - offered 3 year course, urdang offered foundation, she has Bird next week, her favourite is Laine but she can only go if we get some dada funding, these auditions are in April, does anyone know how many dada auditionees get funding? And are some offered part funding? Could manage some of the fees? Trying to work out if she is likely to get some funding, if not what is the likelihood of her getting on a 3 yr course after a year foundation, any advice is very welcome, this is all new to me.
My daughter is on the pre-voc at Performers currently so will let you know how successful it is after her audition at the end of March! She was also offered Foundation at Bird but upon reading up on both courses, Performers seem to have better percentage of people going on to further training (in fact 100% for the last few years). It is an amazing course, they are taught by the same tutors as the other years which I don’t think happens at Bird (don’t know about Urdang) and she has learnt so much. It is also a lovely college to be at, very friendly and supportive and my dd is desperate to stay there, we shall see!
Thank you, good luck to your DD lovely to here she has enjoyed it, thank you
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

lotsolaffs wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:35 pm Re Laine DADA's I think they are allowed to offer a provisional DADA funded place but of course until they receive all paperwork back how do Laine or any other institution know what household income is. If it is over the £90,000 they can't get DADA funding anyway.
That's true. The 2 I know have had letters saying if their income is over £90,000 then they would be eligible for a scholarship from laine itself. In that case you might do better if you do earn over £90,000!! It's all us in the middle that are going to really struggle!
daisy1
GRAMMY Award

Post by daisy1 »

Hey all, it’s so exciting to keep watching this thread and seeing everyone’s successes! Congratulations to everyone so far :D
DD attended the Mountview audition today and although wasn’t recalled she was invited to attend a free audition for the foundation course. She was happy to have been noticed to be honest - there were so many people there! Does anyone know how many people they offer this to? And how many students make it onto the foundation course?
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:59 am Not sure how true but dd was told yesterday that they plan on selling Barbican to pay off some debts from the fraud and what’s left will more than cover the building/renovation of the new centre which is rumoured to be at Guildford. So they will only have one site. This unnerves me as it will involve having to move accommodation and what happens if the sale goes through mid term? They could be living in central London and having to travel everyday out to Guildford! My dd is still adamant at auditioning though as she didn’t like the Barbican studios anyway so just sees the new premises as a bonus as she did love the IC ‘feel’. Kids don’t think logically like us though do they?

At the audition they ask if you are happy to accept a place in Guildford due to the relocation, we said yes and the offer we received was for Guildford, so it’s being taken into consideration. Personally after seeing both sites, we prefer Guildford anyway.
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:47 pm
islandofsodor wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:00 am Dada's own rules state that funding can't be offered until after a date in March, possibly 31st March and after all auditionees have been seen and ranked. We found out in May at Hammond.
I know people who have had letters with dada funding offers already from Laine and Bird. Maybe its to say they will get a definite offer of funding when they come out later in the year. They don't have to go back for a funding audition.
I spoke to Bird about DaDAs this week and they said no offers are made until all auditions are completed and they cannot say where in the listing you are either. It could be mid June before contacting people.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Does anyone currently have their dc at Italia Conti in Guildford? Would be interesting to know what the rent costs are around Guildford, as it’s outside the M25 I would presume it’s not classed as London so would be the lower maintenance loan amount, but with it being Surrey I can imagine it being quite expensive. All things to take into consideration before my daughter auditions I think.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

daisy1 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:50 pm Hey all, it’s so exciting to keep watching this thread and seeing everyone’s successes! Congratulations to everyone so far :D
DD attended the Mountview audition today and although wasn’t recalled she was invited to attend a free audition for the foundation course. She was happy to have been noticed to be honest - there were so many people there! Does anyone know how many people they offer this to? And how many students make it onto the foundation course?
Well done to your DD! They must have spotted something about her that they liked! Any tips for the audition? My dd is attending a regional one in Manchester and the info suggests they don't find out anything on the day for the regionals.
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:18 am Does anyone currently have their dc at Italia Conti in Guildford? Would be interesting to know what the rent costs are around Guildford, as it’s outside the M25 I would presume it’s not classed as London so would be the lower maintenance loan amount, but with it being Surrey I can imagine it being quite expensive. All things to take into consideration before my daughter auditions I think.
I don’t know the cost but one person said he pays £250 a month with meals and he is outside if Guildford has he drives. In June time my daughter will be added to a Facebook page where accommodation will be listed by students leaving and giving up accommodation. I have the local agent details who they use but you must do all your own checks.