Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Proseccoplease »

Thank you for all the good wishes about DS! As I understand it a recall isn’t a prerequisite for being offered a place. DS said some were recalled for singing, dancing or acting to see them do some more and some like him had an interview with Emil himself. This was for all courses. He’s still on cloud nine! Nice antidote to being told by school to give up all non-academic pursuits in January! :roll:
hewood
BRIT Award

Post by hewood »

Hello, my dd auditioned for Artsed last week and was recalled. We have been waiting to hear back from them and now a week later she has had an email from them inviting her for a dance recall in March 2020. Has anyone had any experience of that process that they wouldn't mind sharing?
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

To anyone contemplating the EDA sixth form, it's not for the feint-hearted but in my opinion they offer the best BTEC in the country.

Some NAPMs will remember when we were considering the BTEC/ALevel routes and I received a terrible text from a "friend" which really ruined the excitement of being offered a place at EDA or even doing a BTEC at all. On top of dealing with moving out a 16 year old boy, doubts were planted in my head and I was told all sorts of things that left me sleepless for a month. I will never forget the kind NAPMs who got in touch with me to reassure us and keep us going. I would like to pass that on now to others.

The text was all nastiness and hot air. Do not doubt the professionalism, respect and focus that is inherent to the EDA ethos. And on top of that they are absolutely lovely and will look after your child. I would trust them with any of my enquiries or concerns and they have a very strict open door/mental health protocol.

DS was offered an outright full DADA at Laine, his dream destination, last month and this was his first audition. We loved the courtesy afforded us there as parents, the efforts the staff and students went to to pack the day with information and showcasing, and the general feeling when we walked through the door. The manners were impeccable. It just felt right for DS and us. He did audition for his second choice out of curiosity but he didn't feel the same there after being used to the air of respect and decorum at EDA both inside and outside the studios. I can't comment as parents were not allowed access. He will be politely declining the offer.

Could all this have happened without EDA? In our case, not a chance. The BTEC options near home were only about 15 contact hours a week whereas he has been living, eating and sleeping dance, drama and singing since September last year. We can't thank EDA and the special teachers there enough. They pull no punches, don't get me wrong, and the daily cardio is a killer, but it gets you ready for a harsh industry.

And as for nastiness, leave it at the door where it belongs. I wish every single DC all the luck in the world and a very happy 2020 full of dreams coming true. God bless xxx
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

I’m so pleased to hear how it has all worked out for your DS and I do remember reading your post when he first started.
My DD is in first year 6th form at EDA and I totally agree with all you have said. She too is looking at Laines for degree and will be doing auditions this time next year. Although her current top choice for degree is now EDA!
Wishing your DS all the very best
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

hewood wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:36 pm Hello, my dd auditioned for Artsed last week and was recalled. We have been waiting to hear back from them and now a week later she has had an email from them inviting her for a dance recall in March 2020. Has anyone had any experience of that process that they wouldn't mind sharing?
Yes, my daughter was invited back for a singing recall in March last year. They didn't like the contemporary song she chose and recalled her to hear a different song. Im happy to say that she was accepted and is now on the BA MT course at Artsed. Others were recalled for Dance recalls. The one girl we knew that was recalled for a dance recall was eventually also offered a place. However we know some were not. They recall you in one section if they really like your other two but need to see you again in the style you're recalled for. By March they will have seen all candidates and can therefor better decide. We felt it was good that the recall was in March as it gave my daughter plenty of time to prepare and make sure she really nailed the recall audition. Hope that's helpful.
hewood
BRIT Award

Post by hewood »

go for it wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:53 am
hewood wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:36 pm Hello, my dd auditioned for Artsed last week and was recalled. We have been waiting to hear back from them and now a week later she has had an email from them inviting her for a dance recall in March 2020. Has anyone had any experience of that process that they wouldn't mind sharing?
Yes, my daughter was invited back for a singing recall in March last year. They didn't like the contemporary song she chose and recalled her to hear a different song. Im happy to say that she was accepted and is now on the BA MT course at Artsed. Others were recalled for Dance recalls. The one girl we knew that was recalled for a dance recall was eventually also offered a place. However we know some were not. They recall you in one section if they really like your other two but need to see you again in the style you're recalled for. By March they will have seen all candidates and can therefor better decide. We felt it was good that the recall was in March as it gave my daughter plenty of time to prepare and make sure she really nailed the recall audition. Hope that's helpful.
Thank you that is so helpful. She has three months to polish up her dance at her current college EDA who have brought it on leaps and bounds ... and it's nice to know that she has a chance for a place. Congratulations to your daughter for gaining her place :D

Quick question do you know how many other people were at your daughter's singing recall or friend's dance recall?
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Dodger'smum wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:47 am To anyone contemplating the EDA sixth form, it's not for the feint-hearted but in my opinion they offer the best BTEC in the country.

Some NAPMs will remember when we were considering the BTEC/ALevel routes and I received a terrible text from a "friend" which really ruined the excitement of being offered a place at EDA or even doing a BTEC at all. On top of dealing with moving out a 16 year old boy, doubts were planted in my head and I was told all sorts of things that left me sleepless for a month. I will never forget the kind NAPMs who got in touch with me to reassure us and keep us going. I would like to pass that on now to others.

The text was all nastiness and hot air. Do not doubt the professionalism, respect and focus that is inherent to the EDA ethos. And on top of that they are absolutely lovely and will look after your child. I would trust them with any of my enquiries or concerns and they have a very strict open door/mental health protocol.

DS was offered an outright full DADA at Laine, his dream destination, last month and this was his first audition. We loved the courtesy afforded us there as parents, the efforts the staff and students went to to pack the day with information and showcasing, and the general feeling when we walked through the door. The manners were impeccable. It just felt right for DS and us. He did audition for his second choice out of curiosity but he didn't feel the same there after being used to the air of respect and decorum at EDA both inside and outside the studios. I can't comment as parents were not allowed access. He will be politely declining the offer.

Could all this have happened without EDA? In our case, not a chance. The BTEC options near home were only about 15 contact hours a week whereas he has been living, eating and sleeping dance, drama and singing since September last year. We can't thank EDA and the special teachers there enough. They pull no punches, don't get me wrong, and the daily cardio is a killer, but it gets you ready for a harsh industry.

And as for nastiness, leave it at the door where it belongs. I wish every single DC all the luck in the world and a very happy 2020 full of dreams coming true. God bless xxx
That's so good to hear. I remember the email and how it made you feel. Wishing your son every success at Laine
Lakeviewp
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lakeviewp »

Dodger'smum wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:47 am To anyone contemplating the EDA sixth form, it's not for the feint-hearted but in my opinion they offer the best BTEC in the country.

Congratulations to your DS on his offer from Laine - fantastic news!! 🎉🎉. My DS started at Laine in September and is loving it. I totally agree with you about how polite and welcoming they were, particularly to parents! Some colleges almost dismiss the parents whereas Miss Laine totally appreciates what parents do to get our DCs to where they are and that they will need support for the next three years whilst years whilst training too! If you have any questions feel free to ask or pm me.

Congrats again!

Px
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

hewood wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:12 pm
Thank you that is so helpful. She has three months to polish up her dance at her current college EDA who have brought it on leaps and bounds ... and it's nice to know that she has a chance for a place. Congratulations to your daughter for gaining her place :D

Quick question do you know how many other people were at your daughter's singing recall or friend's dance recall?
As far as I'm aware she was the only one on that day. We know of one other girl on a different day. Not sure about the dance recall.

Good luck to your dd.
Bean1
Nominee

Post by Bean1 »

Hi all, I wondered if anyone can help. I'm getting various bits of info about Urdang's BA fees. Some say it is now fully funded, others are saying that the £9250 is now paid by student finance but you only get two terms and still have to pay extra if you want to do the third term and do any of the the shows and eventually agents showcases. Does anyone know for certain what changed, when, and what the situation from Sept 2020 is ? I'm very confused. Thanks everyone.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Bean1 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:08 am Hi all, I wondered if anyone can help. I'm getting various bits of info about Urdang's BA fees. Some say it is now fully funded, others are saying that the £9250 is now paid by student finance but you only get two terms and still have to pay extra if you want to do the third term and do any of the the shows and eventually agents showcases. Does anyone know for certain what changed, when, and what the situation from Sept 2020 is ? I'm very confused. Thanks everyone.
I don’t know for sure, am hoping someone else does, but when you look at the course this year it looks like they have reduced the contact hours over the length of the course. My DD is currently on pre-voc at Performers and sometimes has 11hr days so easily has at least 40 contact hours a week. Urdang says 25-28hrs so my guess is this is how they’ve got around the cheaper fees. I could be wrong but as my DD is auditioning there too this year, if I find out it’s only 28hrs contact time AND you still have to pay for the third term then she won’t be going! I would hope they would have to put on the website about it only being 2 terms though if that is still the case, I had heard that’s what happened this year. If Bird and Performers can manage a fully packed week/year without extra fees I don’t understand why they all can’t!
hewood
BRIT Award

Post by hewood »

go for it wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:44 pm
hewood wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:12 pm

As far as I'm aware she was the only one on that day. We know of one other girl on a different day. Not sure about the dance recall.

Good luck to your dd.
Thanks, I am assuming she won't be the only one in a dance recall!!
Littleone
BRIT Award

Post by Littleone »

Hi Bean1 and MygirlsloveMT ( Sorry have had difficulty with quoting function !)
My Daughter is currently in 1st year of degree at Urdang . I was also quite confused re the funding changes prior to her going. Her student loan covers the £9250 fee and we have not had to pay anything extra as yet . There was an option to buy into a series of extra Masterclasses running throughout the year on some evenings which sounded great but my DD and I felt that she was already busy enough so we didn't opt in to that . My daughter's contact hours are between 25-28 hours a week as the website states and personally I feel that has been quite enough for her . Before Urdang she was at an academic sixth form and the increase in her dance hours has been considerable .... any more and I would worry more about injury etc. She and her friends have also attended external classes of her own choosing at studios such as Base . There are only 2 terms of timetabled classes - the 3rd term which is optional consists of rehearsals for the Summer show which , as far as I am aware doesn't cost anything more . I think there are optional Masterclasses during this time which you do pay for . Have to say I am not completely clear on everything but I will say that, so far my daughter is loving Urdang . There also seems to be a real focus there on 'Wellness' and mental health and also an excellent physio/rehab service - all of which is reassuring for parents !
Hope that helps a bit ! :D
Littleone
BRIT Award

Post by Littleone »

Congratulations to your DS Dodgersmum and to your DD Hewood - fantastic results =D> =D> =D> .. and good luck to all doing the audition rounds at the moment !
Bean1
Nominee

Post by Bean1 »

Littleone wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:03 pm Hi Bean1 and MygirlsloveMT ( Sorry have had difficulty with quoting function !)
My Daughter is currently in 1st year of degree at Urdang . I was also quite confused re the funding changes prior to her going. Her student loan covers the £9250 fee and we have not had to pay anything extra as yet . There was an option to buy into a series of extra Masterclasses running throughout the year on some evenings which sounded great but my DD and I felt that she was already busy enough so we didn't opt in to that . My daughter's contact hours are between 25-28 hours a week as the website states and personally I feel that has been quite enough for her . Before Urdang she was at an academic sixth form and the increase in her dance hours has been considerable .... any more and I would worry more about injury etc. She and her friends have also attended external classes of her own choosing at studios such as Base . There are only 2 terms of timetabled classes - the 3rd term which is optional consists of rehearsals for the Summer show which , as far as I am aware doesn't cost anything more . I think there are optional Masterclasses during this time which you do pay for . Have to say I am not completely clear on everything but I will say that, so far my daughter is loving Urdang . There also seems to be a real focus there on 'Wellness' and mental health and also an excellent physio/rehab service - all of which is reassuring for parents !
Hope that helps a bit ! :D
Thanks for this Littleone - that helps a lot. I did wonder if term three was optional. The big issue will be if priority is given to Diploma over Degree students for shows and performance opportunities as there is no way we could afford diploma on its own, but also feel it's a problem if performance opportunity is limited on degree. I'm really glad to hear your daughter is loving it there though. All this decision making is really tricky. We know various ex-students who loved it too, I'm just concerned about the changes. Very glad to hear they take mental health seriously too.
Could you keep us updated about any things you learn as the year progresses. I'd be really grateful. Thanks.