BRIGHTON area 6th form? BRICCT/ ICT or LEWES or...

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Noo72
Nominee

BRIGHTON area 6th form? BRICCT/ ICT or LEWES or...

Post by Noo72 »

...somewhere else? My daughter wants to go to drama school eventually and currently does LAMDA, drams and music GCSEs and attends Italia Conti Saturday school in Brighton (we live in West Sussex).

Can anyone give any advice about sixth form options fairly local to us? I have no experience in this field and want to help her to make the right choice so that she can ultimately have the best chance of getting into a decent drama school.

I believe that East Sussex College's performing arts diploma is well thought of but have no idea how to research this in the way that I would for undergrad courses. Are there league tables that one can look at? The Brighton Institute for Contemporary Theatre has an extended diploma but it is a newish course. Should that be a concern?

Any advice greatly appreciated as we need to apply over the next few weeks!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Re: BRIGHTON area 6th form? BRICCT/ ICT or LEWES or...

Post by lotsolaffs »

Hi,BRICCT or ICCT as it is now called is doing well and one student I know personally is enjoying it, another I know of seems to be doing well. As far as I know it is free for 6th form .There is also The Brighton Academy but know nothing about it. We looked at Lewes nowhere near enough contact hours,my son's girlfriend did a BTEC there in performing arts and on hindsight wishes she had gone somewhere else.
You could apply to The Brit School,closing date is soon though. Mine was offered a place there and we are in East Sussex.
Noo72
Nominee

Post by Noo72 »

Thank you so much for your advice, lotsolaffs. Much appreciated. My daughter did a year 10 taster day at Lewes, actually but wasn't that keen. She may have been influenced by the fact that she chose three similar sessions (acting, musical theatre and one other) and the warm up activity was identical for each one! This made the whole day a bit 'GroundhodgDay' and put her off!

Does anyone know anything about Brighton MET (Durrington campus- UAL extended diplomas).

I think the Brit School would be too far (an hour an a quarter each way by train plus 15 minute drive or 30 minute bus to the station closest to home). I will discuss it with her though, so thanks very much for letting me know about the deadline.
scoob
BRIT Award

Post by scoob »

We were in exactly the same position as you last year... live in West Sussex; DS wants to go into MT and has lots of performing arts experience...both amateur and professional ... but definitely didn’t want to do A-levels! We can’t afford private colleges so looked at Lewes, Northbrook (now MET) plus thought about BRIT school (like you couldn’t face the journey) but we have ended up at ICT (or BRICTT as it was). My DS enjoyed the workshop/audition and loved the thought of doing MT all week with little written work (there is some!!). TBH we did worry a little that it was a new course and that it might not be challenging enough (we went to their end of term show last year for their diploma students and it wasn’t brilliant) however, we decided that even if he just did the 2 years and got his diploma it would a stepping stone to next step!
In reality...he’s now been there since September and is loving it! I think they’ve really stepped up their game and he’s challenged; working really hard and I’m really happy he’s there. They stream them for dance and acting and he’s happy as there are a good number of boys! He does 4 days (either 8.30 or 9 am starts) and finishes between 3 and 4 except Friday is a 1pm finish! For those who haven’t passed gcse maths or English they do resit courses on Thursday (my DS now realises why it was good to work hard and pass his GCSEs as he has Thursday off!!!).
They’ve organised a trip to broadway next year which most of his year are going to.

So go and visit - they are new but everyone has to start somewhere and I really do believe that ICT is one to watch down in Brighton.

Happy to answer any specific questions if you have any! I remember all the questions I had last year! I’ll also say that ICT were really good at answering questions!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Scoob great to have better info on ICT. I have met course leaders a couple of times and they have been lovely. Great to have somewhere on the coast.
Noo72
Nominee

Post by Noo72 »

Thank you so much, Scoob. Your info has been really useful. Sorry for the delayed update/ reply! My daughter had her audition and has been offered a place at ICT Brighton. She came home from the audition and was really buzzing with excitement! I'm a little apprehensive tbh about closing the door on more academic options because of the uncertain future, in terms of career prospects. However, life has taught me so far that there is a lot to be said for doing what makes you happy. So there it is- she has accepted her place. :D
scoob
BRIT Award

Post by scoob »

Congratulations to your DD! It’s such a relief when they get a place that they want...hopefully a nice incentive to work hard over the next few months to get those GCSEs!

Let me know if you have any other questions - DS gone back happy today to start the second term! X
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Congratulations to your DD x