WEK vs Urdang (Saturday/Sunday School)

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

loueeze
BRIT Award

WEK vs Urdang (Saturday/Sunday School)

Post by loueeze »

Hello,

What are your opinions on West End Kids and Urdang for extra weekend training?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Re: WEK vs Urdang (Saturday/Sunday School)

Post by lyndahill »

Depends on what style of dance, etc that your child prefers. If it were for my child, I'd choose Urdang but others will be different.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Can't speak for Urdang (as their course is new and may be more challenging now than it used to be when DD attended). WEK is demanding, focusses on musical theatre and requires considerable home practice during the week - all aspects of performance are taught and appraised in writing termly and includes a termly performance in a London theatre. Kids are grouped by ability not age and everything is auditioned weekly so they are really kept on their toes and pushed. I'd go along to the auditions for both and see what your child is offered. WEK is starting a monthly Sunday session which allows for less commitment but could be a good introduction. I'm sure Urdang weekend course is good too - depends what you want. There is a lot of choice out there now for Saturday and Sunday schools! Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
loueeze
BRIT Award

Post by loueeze »

lyndahill wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:34 am Depends on what style of dance, etc that your child prefers. If it were for my child, I'd choose Urdang but others will be different.
Why would you choose Urdang?
loueeze
BRIT Award

Post by loueeze »

amo185 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:30 am Can't speak for Urdang (as their course is new and may be more challenging now than it used to be when DD attended). WEK is demanding, focusses on musical theatre and requires considerable home practice during the week - all aspects of performance are taught and appraised in writing termly and includes a termly performance in a London theatre. Kids are grouped by ability not age and everything is auditioned weekly so they are really kept on their toes and pushed. I'd go along to the auditions for both and see what your child is offered. WEK is starting a monthly Sunday session which allows for less commitment but could be a good introduction. I'm sure Urdang weekend course is good too - depends what you want. There is a lot of choice out there now for Saturday and Sunday schools! Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
The appraisals etc sounds really beneficial. It’s always worrying doing these associate schemes for us as I’m never sure what which will be the best and obviously the extra commitment and cost is a huge factor. Why was Urdang not so good? Is the dance better than the MT there? Are certain groups at WEK better to be put in than others? It’s brilliant that there’s lots of opportunities now for them.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

loueeze wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:21 am
lyndahill wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:34 am Depends on what style of dance, etc that your child prefers. If it were for my child, I'd choose Urdang but others will be different.
Why would you choose Urdang?
I said if for my DD I would - their dance training is very good and that's what my DD is most in to, particularly commercial. WEK as far as I know is Westend Musical Theatre and when I have seen them perform they are very glitzy, which isn't my DD's style. I know some people that attend Urdang's weekend training and have said it's very, very good.