Split-soled ballet shoes

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Split-soled ballet shoes

Post by Hilltop »

Hello, my DD has added an extra ballet lesson at a different school and we have received conflicting advice regarding split-soled ballet shoes. At her main performing arts school on a Saturday they didn’t want her to have split soles yet (she’s 12, doing Grade 4), at her new dance school the teacher advised that she wear them to show the teacher her foot movement more and the dancewear shop said that it’s not good for younger children to wear them because the full sole helps to strengthen the feet and split sole is ‘cheating’.

I just wondered if more experienced parents had any advice or opinions that could help? Thanks in advance.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Re: Split-soled ballet shoes

Post by lyndahill »

My DD was always told to have fully soled ballet shoes at that age - she has now gone on to college at 16 and they have split soled ballet shoes. I think the dance shop may be correct, that she needs the strength in the sole. Still, we have often seen girls aged 8/9 going on to Pointe at some dance schools, which also isn't recommended at such a young age.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

At the school my DDs attended split soles were not worn until grade 6. Its only about 6 years ago that the RAD started allowing them to be worn in exams for lower grades. I think the usual thinking between full sole or split sole is that the full sole makes the foot work harder and therefore helps with strengthening , of interest in particular if the aim is to go on pointe eventually. The advantage of split sole is appearance as it helps improve the look as they point their toes. I know many dance schools will use full soles in class but split soles for festivals.

Bottom line is that it is fine if she continues with her full soles for her main school and uses split sole for the other. That's what I would do anyway. One of my DDs is a professional dancer having graduated from vocational college 3 years ago, the other danced locally until aged 18 and is advanced grades
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Dd went to vocational school aged 11 and the girls all had to wear split sole.