Dd in spotlight- where else can I find her auditions?

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mumoftwochickens
BRIT Award

Dd in spotlight- where else can I find her auditions?

Post by Mumoftwochickens »

I would also like to be pro active as via spotlight it’s waiting for someone to contact us.
I know there are sites like Mandy and Star now but not sure they are reputable.

Where do we find auditions and opportunties?

Thanks!
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Re: Dd in spotlight- where else can I find her auditions?

Post by FredaBloggs »

If your DD is on Spotlight as a child performer presumably she has an agent? If that's the case, her agent should be submitting her for jobs on Spotlight and for casting briefs circulated directly by casting directors, not just waiting for CDs to see her Spotlight profile and get in touch.

DS has never been on Mandy or Starnow so I have no experience of either, though my understanding is that both are reputable sites (though one may need to exercise judgement for individual job postings). It's hard to just sit and wait for castings to come through and I understand the desire to be proactive if you have a keen child who is itching for audition opportunities, but not all agents are happy for parents to put children forward for jobs in addition to agency submissions. It can get messy if you and the agent unknowingly line up clashing auditions or jobs.
Mumoftwochickens
BRIT Award

Thanks, the agent said if we saw any ops to go for them etc so I thought I would look about but I agree I wouldn’t want to submit if they had already done so etc.
I suppose I’m a little miffed at one casting I know was dds profile and they didn’t submit her and I don’t know why.
It’s hard to rely that dd will be submitted isn’t it.
Do you think the Mandy and star now would be same sort as spotlight as I wouldn’t want to overlap!
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Post by ACookie »

The castings on mandy and starnow would not be the same as those on Spotlight usually. They are often for lower budget projects and you would rarely get anything for major tv/film on those sites. But great for experience and building a CV/showreel if the material is good. The only overlap really would be dates/times. If your agent secures your DD an audition and you then have to decline because of another job you sourced it can get tricky as your agent then has to let down casting directors and it can look unprofessional.
An agent will only submit a certain number of clients for any particular role as a casting director would not want huge numbers sent from the same agency. Your agent will hopefully think carefully as to what your DD is suited to and submit her for things she really stands a chance at auditioning for or even booking.
Mumoftwochickens
BRIT Award

Thank you both, so do you both advise to leave this with dds agent then? Absolutely fine if so and I appreciate your advice
Fuji11547
BRIT Award

Post by Fuji11547 »

If you are using "Tagmin", you can see all the submissions your agent put your child forward. I would agree with others and leave everything with the agent. If you would like to contribute to your child's career, concentrate on good training and go to the theatre a lot! ... says me whose child has yet to secure a job :-) ha ha
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

DS has had some brilliant jobs via Mandy or what was kCCP back then
Including a great music video lead, ( check out Danny Howard’s Vargo music video) a voice over, a photoshoot for a top tog and a Moshi Monsters ad, all paid and a great experience.
Sometimes the oportunities don’t come via the agent no matter what the submissions are, your kid is too small/tall/is one of hundreds/ blah blah but I have a super confident young man who made some significant contacts via sourcing jobs ourselves... no regrets.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

I think it depends on the Agent and your relationship with them.

Our current one is happy for us to apply directly through StarNow or Mandy for stuff to keep the CV current as we are outside London and so only get put forward for bigger stuff. We apply for local jobs on Mandy and StarNow where the pay is lower but there's very little cost for travel etc. I wouldn't want to do it behind an agent's b ack though , it would get horribly complicated and occasionally jobs are on there which are also on spotlight and it doesn't look good if you both apply.

My DS has had some really good work from both sites, and plenty of useful audition experience without the hassle of trekking to London all the time, so now when he does go for something bigger he knows how it works and is much more confident. As mentioned above do exercise caution with the jobs on there though. There are lots of student films, which can be great fun and brilliant experience, but can also be very chaotic and disorganised. There have been a few occasions recently where jobs were advertised and people didn't appear to know anything about licensing. We lost a couple of jobs because I insisted DS was licensed. Other people seen more gung ho...

It's not all small low paid stuff either. My DS has just got an overseas MT job through StarNow so you never know!!