Juggling school and working - when does something have to give?

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Juggling school and working - when does something have to give?

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

Over the last few years DS has been working on and off - he started in Y2, and is now in Y5.
Gradually he has had more opportunities - mostly local professional, with some theatre touring, and we have juggled maintaining high school attendance and attainment.

This school year he has just completed a UK tour, and has just been told he has a six week overseas casting starting in the new year. This is all \:D/ and he is thrilled, but I can see school's faces becoming stonier and stonier.
I know that legally with him being a high attender (educated off site whilst away on tour so no unauthorised absence) and high achiever academically they shouldn't be able to deny him permission for stuff, but my question is... At what point (if ever) did you decide it was too hard trying to juggle this silent hostility in a mainstream school, and either reign in the performing, or move to a different more receptive school? And would a move to a vocational school help? Are they any happier about kids working, or are the kids there to train?

Any experiences?
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Re: Juggling school and working - when does something have to give?

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Congrats to him. =D> =D> =D> If he likes the school, why not approach them and ask about the 'silent hostility'? Is it coming from just one teacher or a number of people? I know exactly what you mean and if it's making you feel uncomfortable then that's not right!
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

It's from the head, who clearly thought it was a nice little novelty hobby at first, and now thinks it's becoming a bit ridiculous (which obviously it is, but when did that ever stop anyone...?! :? )

It's the fact that having those direct conversations is now becoming awkward that is making me re-evaluate.
Maybe I'm just over thinking and need to march on oblivious until the wheels come off the wagon?

He will be too tall for much more theatre soon so that will quieten things down!
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Not great if it's from the Head but then at least if you need to discuss things with the teachers they don't usually need to be involved.

The good thing about silent hostility is that you can pretend to be completely oblivous to it! If it's uncomfortable for you to go in, then just email in and behave as if they're as excited about it as you are. If they think he's doing too much then don't be the one to say it first, leave that to him. The sad thing about musical theatre is that at some point the kids are too tall and it stops.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

I think that you have said it yourself, things naturally quieten down, as they approach teenage years. If he is in year 5, ride the storm until next year and then decide if a more vocational senior school would be better for him. Or maybe let him do this and then take a step away from it all next year, so that he can focus on his SATS and his last year of primary. Good luck and keep us posted!
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Thanks Jennifer! Yes will enjoy this bit and then take stock...
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

We had the same when Ds was in primary school-they were great at first but less enthusiastic as he was cast in more shows. He went to Sylvia Youngs for secondary school where he worked on and off the whole time he was there, which they were very happy about as long as he kept up with his school work
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I am not sure whether it is worth moving to a vocational school. As children get older the opportunities do decrease (particularly in theatre). Also, once GCSE courses start, most schools (mainstream or vocational) want the children to focus on the academic side. I would say, enjoy things whilst your ds is still young enough. My dd went to Tring and now wants to be a doctor whereas my ds went to mainstream school and studied the BA in MT at Arts Ed and is now following his dream. Your ds is having a fantastic time now and school are still allowing this.
All new to me!