Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Lmum
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Lmum »

Does anyone know how many are in each group audition slot for GSA and Arts Ed and are they split into smaller groups or do they all dance then sing ? Just trying to be as prepared as possible. Hope I'll feel less stressed once first audition done !!
Lakeviewp
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lakeviewp »

Livvyvicky wrote:Dd was at urdang on Sunday too, had a good time and really loved the feel of the place. That’s our second one done- Arts ed next week ......
Arts Ed next week here too!
Lakeviewp
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lakeviewp »

Thank you Scarytimes! I have passed the advice on to my DS. Your experiences from last year are invaluable! Xx
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Arts Ed next week here too![/quote]

We are there Tuesday :D
Lmum
BRIT Award

Post by Lmum »

Lakeviewp wrote:
Livvyvicky wrote:Dd was at urdang on Sunday too, had a good time and really loved the feel of the place. That’s our second one done- Arts ed next week ......
Arts Ed next week here too!

Week after for us! Feels like I'll be in London etc more than in Yorks for next couple of months ;) !
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Lmum wrote:Does anyone know how many are in each group audition slot for GSA and Arts Ed and are they split into smaller groups or do they all dance then sing ? Just trying to be as prepared as possible. Hope I'll feel less stressed once first audition done !!
I should know this...would like to say about 40 and they are then split. At Arts Ed last year (may not have been typical as they did have a fire alarm halfway through!) they learned a fairly cheesy jazz routine then had one chance to perform it in front of panel in groups of three in alphabetical (surname) order. The other group queued to do their solo song (<1 min) but did it in a small room with panel only.

GSA split between song/dance but did everything in front of the rest of the group.

DS is a reasonable dancer, but said the dance wasn’t difficult at either - whereas Laine and Urdang were very hard and full on dance-wise.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Lakeviewp wrote:Thank you Scarytimes! I have passed the advice on to my DS. Your experiences from last year are invaluable! Xx
Aww Thanks. Just want to give people as much info as I know whilst it is still useful. Of course they all change their audition process over the years, so don’t let it floor them if things aren’t the same as I describe. Would hate to put anyone off!
Lmum
BRIT Award

Post by Lmum »

Thanks Scarytimes my DD (and me for my sanity!) is very grateful for your advice - think it just helps to have an idea of how the day runs :D
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Haven't been on for a while, can't believe the auditions have started already, great news coming through, To all, try and keep your nerve, it's a tough year and as parents we are more nervous than the kids, the anxiety, the waiting, but all seems to work out, try and enjoy the experience with your kids it's a time I will always look back on fondly even though it was stressful. XX Best of luck, break a leg
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Lmum wrote:Thanks Scarytimes my DD (and me for my sanity!) is very grateful for your advice - think it just helps to have an idea of how the day runs :D
Remember to take the passport sized photo to GSA on the day (unless that bit has changed!)
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

My DD has her date now for Central BA Acting audition (mid December). Anything anybody could tell her about that particular audition would be very useful...
Thank you!
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

afab wrote:My DD has her date now for Central BA Acting audition (mid December). Anything anybody could tell her about that particular audition would be very useful...
Thank you!
Hi There, how exciting. My DS auditioned twice at Central so I do have some info that may be useful. Central is in a couple of parts and has an afternoon session (you probably know all this). Please be aware that if she isn't selected to stay then she hasn't made it to the next round (I have never heard of an exception, there may be some and there are rumours that if you aren't selected you may still get through but I've never found any that have) They will audition your daughter for all 3 BA routes, although they do ask for preferences. Kids are split into groups and then some get a school tour first and some audition first.
The Classical speeches come from their published list on their website, last year they gave people a choice but this year they are back to request from the list. The modern should be a good contrast and they will ask for an accompanied song, you need to make sure that her piano music is sellotaped down the centre so it opens like a book, rather than with a staple at the top (if you know what I mean). They do the speeches in front of a pane of 2 or 3 and will get a good redirect, they may also be asked to include another older student in one of the speeches and act with them. Then at lunchtime, they call out the names of those staying for the afternoon and the rest are free to go, If she is selected they will tell her what pathway they are auditioning her for. UCAS updates quite quick for Central in about a week. They don't send out anything directly at all for a no.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

Thank you so much Rhymie, it helps a lot. So if I understood right, she has to prepare a song with music sheet even though she's auditioning for straight acting and didn't put MT as a 3rd choice?
I have to say I let her read her own paperwork... Maybe I should have a closer look...
Lmum
BRIT Award

Post by Lmum »

Lakeviewp has your DS had any notification from GSA re change to audition format ? My DD had portal email to say slight change to schedule and will now finish an hour later than originally told so 3 1/2 hours now not 2 1/2. No other info as to why though. Anyone have any ideas as to why? Assume they’ve just added more applicants in so will take longer(?) Don’t know if it’s just her time slot at 12 or earlier slots too.
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

afab wrote:Thank you so much Rhymie, it helps a lot. So if I understood right, she has to prepare a song with music sheet even though she's auditioning for straight acting and didn't put MT as a 3rd choice?
I have to say I let her read her own paperwork... Maybe I should have a closer look...
Hi yes, she absolutely needs to prepare a song and have a sheet music. Its the only straight drama school that needs it and it can worry them. Make sure she sticks to a song from a musical or a folk song, do NOT do any sort of pop song even if she thinks she can do a new "twist " on it. They hate it. Look for something very simple if its not her strong point, they dont care if she can sing they just want to see her perform, act and engage with it. Look at something like "All I want is a room somewhere" from My fair Lady because its easy as hell to sing along to. DM me if you want to chat :-) no problem.