Hints & tips for creating a portfolio career in Dance

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katymac
OSCAR Award

Hints & tips for creating a portfolio career in Dance

Post by Katymac »

Well we want the hints and tips actually reading back the title it looks like I have some!! :roll:

DD looks set have a portfolio career - a series of unconnected short term dance/modelling jobs (as I understand it)

The biggest issue seems to be commiting to one job prevents you from auditioning for another on the days you are working - so it has to be a good enough job that you don't mind missing out on others.....

We have already decided unpaid work needs looking at long & hard to decide if the exposure is worth the committment.

How else can we manage this situation well? Do other people have rules or is it a bit of a free for all?
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Hints & tips for creating a portfolio career in Dance

Post by 2dancersmum »

Tell your DD to have a look on the Hustle - audition being advertised for an international tour -( posted by Richard Pitt). looking for latin, afro-Cuban, contemporary and street dancers. I can tag her in it if she cant find the post.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Is that the Heartbeats of Home one? we applied this morning thanks

Struggling to register with the Hustle!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

That doesn't read quite the way I meant when I wrote it, sorry - I was struggling with registering and getting the password thingie - I've sorted it now and when I read my last post back it was rude - I am sorry I didn't intend to be rude - what I meant was:

Thanks so much for thinking of her
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

DD checked on hustle and said it is the same job - she says 'thank you very much for thinking of her'

Which is much better than my twitting about sorry!
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Didn't think it was rude, don't worry. I thought of your DD as soon as I saw it. She might also like to register with the website openauditions.co.uk - its fairly new but number of auditions appearing on there keeps increasing - oh and free!
Good luck
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

That's a good one, we also have backstage, casting weekly, spotlight & both of 'The stage', pineapple, Article19 & quite a few on FB

The Article19 have delivered the job she is doing on Saturday.

She is doing quite well getting to auditions and generally gets callbacks then cut, she is being careful what she choses to apply for.

Who knows how it will go - work currently (although as she says Sat pm she becomes unemployed again!) then 3 weeks at college, 2 more auditions (one open, one not) 5 or 6 applications awaiting, one very unlikely waiting to hear about a callback :)
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Sent you a message 2dancersmum
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I have been shocked by how many no pay/low pay/profit sharing adverts I see

Modelling just for photos
Acting/dancing just for footage for your showreel
Rehearsals that are unpaid and just a video of the dance to learn
Expenses that are unrealistic in the extreme
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

The biggest issue seems to be commiting to one job prevents you from auditioning for another on the days you are working - so it has to be a good enough job that you don't mind missing out on others.....

We have already decided unpaid work needs looking at long & hard to decide if the exposure is worth the committment.

OK and both of those got shattered today - job giving out leaflets vs job filming advert & Really good charity video about under-representation of BAME with no pay

This is hard!
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

I can't be of much help I'm afraid Katymac but I just wanted to wish your DD all the very best for her future xxx
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Aw thank you Beanie

She has had a long holiday and is now knuckling down to job applications