Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by dancemom43 »

Munchpot wrote:Just to add to the updates - So after a year's Foundation course at Bird my DD will be heading back there in September to start her Degree.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for words of advice and support and good luck to those still awaiting offers
Ah thats fab news so pleased for her xx
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Spike2000 wrote:So happy my daughter received a phone call today offering her a place at Bird College (her first choice) with a DaDa. They’ve also told her she is number one on the reserve list for the Degree course. Just interested to know what people’s views are on diploma with dada and therefore no debt, versus a degree course but coming out with mega student loan to repay.
Also would you decline your places offered by other colleges immediately or wait until you had a signed contract from Bird? (My daughter had a phone call offering the place and has now had a confirmation email.)
Congratulations on the place. My DD is in her first year at Bird on degree but there really is no difference in the training between degree and diploma other than a tiny bit of written work (they share classes together). You just need to work out 1. if you could afford to manage with a Dada only as some people end up having to take out the £10K commerical loan also and if it works for you financially as some people earn too much to get alot really on a Dada. Well done.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

dancemom43 wrote:
Munchpot wrote:Just to add to the updates - So after a year's Foundation course at Bird my DD will be heading back there in September to start her Degree.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for words of advice and support and good luck to those still awaiting offers
Ah thats fab news so pleased for her xx
Thank you
Laurellen
BRIT Award

Post by Laurellen »

Does anyone have experience of Landlord/Lady accommodation at bird?
Do they have more than one student?
I know my daughter would prefer to have someone else with her. She’s getting a bit jittery now bless her. I know she’ll be fine (bound to be a bit nervous) but just wondering how it works?
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Laurellen wrote:Does anyone have experience of Landlord/Lady accommodation at bird?
I know my daughter would prefer to have someone else with her. She’s getting a bit jittery now bless her. I know she’ll be fine (bound to be a bit nervous) but just wondering how it works?
Have sent you a PM
bro1234
BRIT Award

Post by bro1234 »

HI Laurellen

The email we got was all accomodation lists will come out in July. We are lucky in respect our DD can live at home whilst she's there. If i find out any more information I will let you know. I know theres a Bird Registry facebook group, maybe there will be some more info coming out on there xx
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Laurellen wrote:Does anyone have experience of Landlord/Lady accommodation at bird?
How old is your DD ? They can live without a landlady if 17 or over and have permission. My DD this year stayed at Hollywood House (used to be called the Nest) cannot recommend highly enough as a 5 minute walk from college and all newly renovated. Singles around £135 a week and doubles around £150. It has 16 ensuite bedrooms and is usually filled with year 1 and foundation Bird students. I know quite a few rooms have been booked out already. There is a facebook freshers page and some 2nd years and 3rd years have free rooms they are advertising.
Joshan18
Nominee

Post by Joshan18 »

DD has decided to accept a place on the acting foundation at Italia Conti. Coincidentally one of her best friends has also been offered a place on the same course and she made friends with a couple of girls at her audition who are also going there.
So the 4 of them are hoping to live together. DD rang Italia who said they have an accommodation day at the end of July / beginning of August, no date set yet. Is this normal for London? My son is in Birmingham and they organised accommodation last November for this September!
We live in the North West and are not familiar with London, apart from sight seeing and theatres, so do I trust my gut that says Italia know what they are doing?
Laurellen
BRIT Award

Post by Laurellen »

dancemom43 wrote:
How old is your DD ? They can live without a landlady if 17 or over and have permission. My DD this year stayed at Hollywood House (used to be called the Nest) cannot recommend highly enough as a 5 minute walk from college and all newly renovated. Singles around £135 a week and doubles around £150. It has 16 ensuite bedrooms and is usually filled with year 1 and foundation Bird students. I know quite a few rooms have been booked out already. There is a facebook freshers page and some 2nd years and 3rd years have free rooms they are advertising.
She is 16 so she will be with a Landlady. Which is why I am keen to get it sorted. Thank you! She will be doing this this in the second year I think.
Aliarts
Nominee

Post by Aliarts »

Joshan18 wrote:DD has decided to accept a place on the acting foundation at Italia Conti. Coincidentally one of her best friends has also been offered a place on the same course and she made friends with a couple of girls at her audition who are also going there.
So the 4 of them are hoping to live together. DD rang Italia who said they have an accommodation day at the end of July / beginning of August, no date set yet. Is this normal for London? My son is in Birmingham and they organised accommodation last November for this September!
We live in the North West and are not familiar with London, apart from sight seeing and theatres, so do I trust my gut that says Italia know what they are doing?
Congratulations to your dd. Yes, a few of the drama schools have accommodation days around July/August or hand out accommodation lists for you to find places on your own and no one wants to start paying rent in London before they have to! There should be plenty of accommodation at this time. My dd's friend started the BA Acting at Italia Conti last year and found the accommodation day helpful in finding somewhere to live and meeting people to share with.
waiting game
Nominee

Post by waiting game »

my dd is on BOV shortlist and hasnt heard anything, guess this means she hasnt been offered a place. has anyone been offered a reserve place for BOV?
Joshan18
Nominee

Post by Joshan18 »

Thanks Aliarts you have set my mind at rest! Will let DD know.x
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

My daughter was on the shortlist for BOV, but then was transferred to the reserve list when they made their offers.
Don't know whether this helps. It is very difficult to get a place.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Laurellen wrote:
dancemom43 wrote:
She is 16 so she will be with a Landlady. Which is why I am keen to get it sorted. Thank you! She will be doing this this in the second year I think.
Then yes will need to be with a landlady - we had their accommodation pack on 10th July last year so hopefully not long to wait and it will confirm who is offering their services this year and costs along with how many rooms they have.
waiting game
Nominee

Post by waiting game »

thanks jaybeeyellow.
at least we know whats happening and to expect a "no" letter. we are all left in the dark for so long!