London Studio Centre

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Re: London Studio Centre

Post by Scarytimes »

chivers61 wrote:
afab wrote:
chivers61 wrote:
What you say about the top up is definitely true. What I meant with not paying extra was not paying anything else than the top up, no other classes... To answer your question about top-up, our DDs have means-tested scholarships on top of Student loans which reduces what we have to pay.
I can't find any information about mean tested scholarships on their website or in the information we have been sent. As DS has been offered the chance to take a place and avoid the recall, how would he go about applying for a scholarship? Basically, without one he won't be able to go as I can't find the shortfall of £8k plus top up of maintenance loan :cry:
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

islandofsodor wrote:I think it’s time for me to leave this forum.

I’ve probably outgrown it anyway.
Please don't - I appreciate many of the things you have posted that advise those of us trying this for the first time 8)
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Scarytimes wrote:
islandofsodor wrote:I think it’s time for me to leave this forum.

I’ve probably outgrown it anyway.
Please don't - I appreciate many of the things you have posted that advise those of us trying this for the first time 8)
Ditto x
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

Scarytimes wrote:
chivers61 wrote:
afab wrote:
I can't find any information about mean tested scholarships on their website or in the information we have been sent. As DS has been offered the chance to take a place and avoid the recall, how would he go about applying for a scholarship? Basically, without one he won't be able to go as I can't find the shortfall of £8k plus top up of maintenance loan :cry:

Until last year and I assume it would still be the same, the bursaries were automatically awarded after Student Finance has sent how much you are getting in Maintenance Loan. From a certain amount, LSC gives you a certain amount. I don't know the figures, sorry. In our case, the Maintenance Loan was the maximum you can get, so we got the maximum LSC can give (£3000). I don't think you can know if or how much you might get before then. I heard about it mid August I think.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

afab wrote:
Scarytimes wrote:
chivers61 wrote:

Until last year and I assume it would still be the same, the bursaries were automatically awarded after Student Finance has sent how much you are getting in Maintenance Loan. From a certain amount, LSC gives you a certain amount. I don't know the figures, sorry. In our case, the Maintenance Loan was the maximum you can get, so we got the maximum LSC can give (£3000). I don't think you can know if or how much you might get before then. I heard about it mid August I think.
Thank you -0 that gives me a bit more info to go on.
Benjy
Nominee

Post by Benjy »

afab wrote:Hi Benjy,

It's a great place for MT. If you go to any show in the West End and look at the programme, you will find lots of alumni...

Good luck to your son!
Thank you. Yes I have seen their alumni around lots. He has been offered a place at PPA in Guildford which will be funded under a student loan (Degree course) but he loved LSC which is down the road from us but might be too expensive. LSC is not one that you about often in terms of MT so just wanted to be sure. fingers crossed for him.
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

Hi Scarytimes,
DS applied for LSC three years ago and like your DS was offered a place without the need for recall. He didn't intend to take it up so we didn't look into scholarships and weren't aware that there were any, but then at the end of May/beginning of June he had a letter from them out of the blue, giving him a three year scholarship for the whole of the fees less the student loan amount of £6000. He had several other offers so he didn't actually take it up, but in his first year he lived at Chester House where there were quite a lot of LSC students. They all seemed to be enjoying the course, although they said that there weren't many boys in their year so that could be seen either as a downside, or maybe a plus because it could be easier to stand out. Good luck to your DS
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

ajbew wrote:Hi Scarytimes,
DS applied for LSC three years ago and like your DS was offered a place without the need for recall. He didn't intend to take it up so we didn't look into scholarships and weren't aware that there were any, but then at the end of May/beginning of June he had a letter from them out of the blue, giving him a three year scholarship for the whole of the fees less the student loan amount of £6000. He had several other offers so he didn't actually take it up, but in his first year he lived at Chester House where there were quite a lot of LSC students. They all seemed to be enjoying the course, although they said that there weren't many boys in their year so that could be seen either as a downside, or maybe a plus because it could be easier to stand out. Good luck to your DS
Thank you for posting. It will be interesting to see what will happen over the next few months, but every bit of information helps along the way.
Benjy
Nominee

Post by Benjy »

Have just heard by email that my ds has been offered a place at LSC and needs to pay a deposit if he want the place shortly. They are sending us the paperwork but would anyone know how much the deposit is likely to be. He has an offer at PPA also and wants to hold both places till he decides which is the right place for him. He loves them both but the degrees are different. ie Theatre Dance/Musical Theatre.
Lorry
BRIT Award

Post by Lorry »

When my DD had to pay a deposit (she is in her 3rd yr) to hold her place it was £500 but it may have changed since.
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Hi
My dd was offered a place last year without a recall and the deposit was 500.00 I phoned and was told it was not refundable. Dd still had 5 auditions to go at the time so we didnt really want to pay it until she haf all her offers so she opted to go to the recall. It just gave us a bit of breathing space. Well done to your DS xxx