BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Re: BA / Foundation MT courses Sept 18

Post by jennifer1972 »

rhythmanddreams wrote:Wishing good luck to all of your children who have upcoming auditions! It's a complete minefield isn't it?

My daughter has an audition for the Chichester Triple Threat course on 3rd March, and is waiting for an audition date from Performers College. She also has an audition date for University of Shrewsbury, but we know next to nothing about the course, and also for The Hammond MT degree course, but was disappointed to learn from them that students on the BA Hons only have about 12 hrs contact time of classes a week (5 hrs dance). That's less classes than she does now, after school and on weekends. She is considering not going to The Hammond or Shrewsbury auditions, as she is unsure now if they are the right course for her.
I am concerned that by cutting it down to just 2 auditions, it may be likely that she will end up with no course next year. We were limited to where we could apply anyway, as a course requiring huge top up fees or a foundation course are out of the question, due to the cost, and she was adamant that she wanted to to do a degree, not a diploma course. We are struggling to find any other suitable BA Hons MT courses (unless anyone here has a good suggestion?) Especially as most had to go through UCAS anyway. Currently Chichester is her no 1 choice, but I know that competition for those places will be high.
My DD is a first year on the BA MT at Millennium in Woolwich. The course is £9000, SL covers £6000 and we make up the rest. Feel free to PM.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

islandofsodor wrote:Who on earth has told her they only get 12 hours?
Very odd. I do recall this being discussed previously. Seems odd that they would undersell the contact hours as it will put people off. That said Unis are getting very cautious and jumpy now about what the course content is, what the minimum guarantee is in terms of contact hours, what is an optional extra and whether it is free or costs extra. This is because they are being sued more and more for not delivering what they promise verbally or in writIng on their website.

That said there is a big difference between 15 and the 30+ which I think was what people were saying in this forum. The 30 hours and 30 weeks is of course key for graduates from any course at it is the minimum required for them to get access to Spotlight as a graduate given the will mostly not qualify for the full listing.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

People embarking on a MT degree do have to understand that there is a significant academic content Plus time for independent study (essays/research etc) as compared to the Trinity diploma & that also if you are paying £9,000 per year there is a difference as to what can be provided in comparison to an institution charging £12,000 per year.

But I’ve still got a copy of the BA timetable from the 1st year the course ran (2 years ago) & there are 4 hours of dance classes on the first day alone. Now that timetable won’t be set in stone & will vary according to the time of year (more classes less rehearsals & vice Verda depending if there is a production coming up or not) but it’s not going to change that drastically because of the accreditation process surely.
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by rhythmanddreams »

I am not sure who I spoke to, but I called them the other week to change her audition date, as the one they had given us was only a weeks' notice and impossible for us to get to. The person I spoke to said that the course was aimed at actor/singers and only had a small amount of dance content and I quote "that you won't find a triple threat course anywhere in the UK that isn't a Diploma or that doesn't require a large top up on top of the available government funding". At which point I mentioned that Chichester were offering a triple threat course, and to which she had no answer. (Shrewsbury are also advertising their course as triple threat, we just don't have much info about it!).

She then went on to advise that my daughter would possibly be better applying for the Diploma course if she wanted to do triple threat ](*,) but that their dancers have a very specific 'look' and if you don't fit in that box, then you won't be considered for the Diploma.
We are just weighing up whether it's worth us making a 10 hour round trip to Chester for a course that's (by the sound of it) not what she wants at all.
To the point where my daughter announced this afternoon, 'If I don't get into Chichester or Performers, then I'm not going AT ALL'.
Which quite possibly the best option for her if she doesn't get into either, to have a year out and continue her theatre training whilst working part time, instead. I don't see the point of going to audition for schools / Uni's where she won't take up the place, even if she is offered one.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

It is more of an actor/singer course, not triple threat & the diploma course does have an extraordinary number of contact hours with dance being very important & the standard on entry is high (Dd starts the diploma in September). The standard of singing on the degree is phenomenal.

The degree at Shrewsbury I do have some knowledge of. It also comes under the University of Chester & is pretty much a similar course as at Hammond but delivered by their own staff.

I am at the moment in communication with a member of staff. I have told them of this thread & am awaiting permission to post more specific details.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

rhythmanddreams wrote:
I am not sure who I spoke to, but I called them the other week to change her audition date, as the one they had given us was only a weeks' notice and impossible for us to get to. The person I spoke to said that the course was aimed at actor/singers and only had a small amount of dance content and I quote "that you won't find a triple threat course anywhere in the UK that isn't a Diploma or that doesn't require a large top up on top of the available government funding". At which point I mentioned that Chichester were offering a triple threat course, and to which she had no answer. (Shrewsbury are also advertising their course as triple threat, we just don't have much info about it!).

She then went on to advise that my daughter would possibly be better applying for the Diploma course if she wanted to do triple threat ](*,) but that their dancers have a very specific 'look' and if you don't fit in that box, then you won't be considered for the Diploma.
We are just weighing up whether it's worth us making a 10 hour round trip to Chester for a course that's (by the sound of it) not what she wants at all.
To the point where my daughter announced this afternoon, 'If I don't get into Chichester or Performers, then I'm not going AT ALL'.
Which quite possibly the best option for her if she doesn't get into either, to have a year out and continue her theatre training whilst working part time, instead. I don't see the point of going to audition for schools / Uni's where she won't take up the place, even if she is offered one.
I would be put off straight away by the 'specific look and fitting in the box' bit! 8-[
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Felicity wrote:Thanks livethedream and good luck to your DS for his auditions this year.

If my DD decides to go down the Foundation route she will accept the Arts Ed offer and we will be able to fund it at a squeeze as she can live at home for the year to save living costs (Arts Ed is easily commutable from where we live).

DD had her Trinity audition today. The audition structure seemed very thorough from what I gleaned. She got a call back in the afternoon so we will see if anything comes of this in a couple of weeks time! Only the GSA recall and PPA left. Will be glad when this is all over...
Thanks Felicity :D

A call back is good! We need to celebrate all the little successes \:D/ - just getting a recall can be difficult. I have everything crossed for you
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Well DDs audition bag packed x We Will be leaving early in the morning to travel to London, meet up with DD who's been watching a few musicals with a friend this week. Then off to Greenwich ready for Thursdays audition at Trinity! Any advice appreciated!!! This ones the dream!
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Marissa wrote:Well DDs audition bag packed x We Will be leaving early in the morning to travel to London, meet up with DD who's been watching a few musicals with a friend this week. Then off to Greenwich ready for Thursdays audition at Trinity! Any advice appreciated!!! This ones the dream!
My top tip would be to try to relax (and that's for you as much as your DD). If you get stressed or anxious she'll be ten times worse,

Enjoy it. Have a stroll around Greenwich market, it's lovely. The Queens House is a beautiful building and the Park is a great place t sit and watch the world go by, even on a miserable day
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

I second what Munchpot has said. Plus is you get a mini-trip out of it. Even though my DS didn't get what he wanted last year, we got some quality time out of it for sure.

Good luck to your DD
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Thankyou both x To be honest DD doesn't expect to be lucky but she will try her best and that's all she can do x We are happy to check out Greenwich for the day xxx
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Marissa wrote:Well DDs audition bag packed x We Will be leaving early in the morning to travel to London, meet up with DD who's been watching a few musicals with a friend this week. Then off to Greenwich ready for Thursdays audition at Trinity! Any advice appreciated!!! This ones the dream!
Good luck to your DD for Thursday Marissa!
My DD said everyone was really friendly at Trinity and they had some lovely current students assigned to answer questions and help get them from a to b. DD got a really good feelng for the place and said the audition process was very thorough. Hope your DD enjoys it too.
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Good luck for Trinity
DS is auditioning there next Wednesday
DS has 2 really good friends who got on to Trinity BA last year, 1 loves it and 1 is leaving after 1st year as it wasn't for her
xx
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Thankyou DD would love to be at Trinity x She loved it from the first day she saw it but I think over the last 6 months has realised how hard it is to get onto a degree the first time x and to be fair she has come to this career vision late. Saying that she has worked bloody hard. We just want our kids to be happy don't we x She will try her absolute best and come out smiling no matter how it goes as she's that kind of girl x Goodluck to yours x let us know how it goes xx
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Great attitude Marissa....good for her - this might just be her year :)
Thanks xx