What to do in Hitchin for 5 hrs!

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

What to do in Hitchin for 5 hrs!

Post by lotsolaffs »

DD has an audition at Emil Dale in Feb. I gave in to their constant hype and advertising and claims of 3,000 auditioning and only 43 places.
Has anyone been and found something to fill that time up with?
I know it's location and although hoping to go by train,we might end up driving.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Re: What to do in Hitchin for 5 hrs!

Post by amo185 »

Firstly I would start to believe the hype! They really do have loads of applicants - mainly because of their lower fees, high level of contact hours and focus on performances. But I don't think the numbers are dissimilar to other MT courses now. My dd now attends their Sunday sessions and we're very impressed by their passion, energy and commitment. Hitchin is lovely to wander around with pubs, cafes and shops etc. I've spent time in the Anchor pub too which is very near the studios. Stevenage isn't far and you might even manage a film in that time! Lots of parking available. Others on here know more about the area so you will hopefully get more ideas from them. Good luck to your dd. (They really do only start with 43 in each year - and possibly lose a few too!)
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

I am from the area and my dd2 is doing the 3 year diploma there, so happy to help :) If it was me I would go to Cineworld at Stevenage, as it is on a retail park and as well as the cinema and bowling there are lots of restaurants, and the parking is free. We really like The Millstream pub, which does good food and is only a short drive from EDA. You could just go into town and browse the shops - and there are millions of coffee shops!(Let me know if you want any other suggestions! Although I would def take your car as is a long walk from the industrial estate to town.)
Barton285
BRIT Award

Post by Barton285 »

I agree with Miss Moneypenny (hello!) good walk from EDA building and railway station unless you are extremely fit like those youngsters! My DD is on foundation having done the 2 year BTEC, may be a lot of hype and advertising but definitely an amazing college. Three Moor Hens not a bad little pub, I spent few hours there on audition evening with another parent. Alternatively Stevenage, take you about 10/15 minutes to get to leisure centre.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Wow,great,thank you.Nice to see that a few pubs are mentioned!
Looks like I should take the car,I knew it was on an industrial estate but was hoping it would be near to the station .
Thanks again
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

There’s also a swimming pool close to the town centre if you’re that way inclined. Walking from the station (via Ransoms park shortcut) takes about 15 minutes, I do it with my dd twice a week in the evening, so it’s doable. Walk into town is about half an hour from Edsa and 15 minutes from the station. Good luck to your dd, most people auditioning fall in love with the place.
Sorry, it takes 23 minutes from the station, I timed it tonight
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Swimming is pushing it! Thank you Ditzi would prefer to go by train so the walking aspect is reassuring.
Thank you!
Mousey88
Nominee

Post by Mousey88 »

My daughter is also auditioning on 10th.. we are coming over from Northern Ireland so Im in the same situation... probably gonna be the same for a lot of parents.. i say drop kids off then go find a pub to drown our sorrows, of them potentially moving away from home at 16yr old! \:D/ :lol:
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Lotsolaffs you’re very welcome! For those thinking about walking from the station, there are different ways you can go, in my opinion this is the quickest route: as you come out of Hitchin station, keep on the right hand side pavement. Cross the road at the traffic lights (Tesco express on your left across the road), turn right (left will take you to the town centre), cross the road on the zebra crossing by the big roundabout then turn left. You will pass McDonalds (on your right), followed by an Audi garage, you’ll soon reach the entrance to Ransoms rec park on your right, cut through the park (short walk following the path), when you reach the exit of the park turn right, you’ll go under a bridge, carry on straight ahead. Cross the road at the traffic lights, carry on straight ahead, Emil Dale building will be on your right. It’s a very straight forward walk (sounds more complicated than it is), 23 minutes at normal pase, I reckon you can do it in 20 if you walk fast. Good luck all :)
Mousey88
Nominee

Post by Mousey88 »

Students auditions etc start at 1130 but parents arent until 1230... is there a cafe or any place nearby EDA to walk and spend an hour or so just until our appt time?
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

A new cafe has literally just opened across the road from EDA, but I am not certain it is open on Saturdays. I will get my dd to check next week and let you know. She said the milk shakes are 'amazing' :)
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Good luck all - I have a 16 year dd at ED so have done the hanging around (luckily enough with friends whose ds’s were auditioning) lovely town to have a mooch and a coffee. Thank you for the pub recommendations will be good to try them on visits !

Just asked my dd about the new cafe too - think they have tapped into a a good clientele; a music themed cafe :D
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I'm looking forward to it now,happy to meet up with any others.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

DD loved EDA,found it a bit energetic. Good industry advice and I think really great for some.
Went into Hitchin by cab,lovely and plenty to see and do.
Mousey88
Nominee

Post by Mousey88 »

Lotsolaffs we prob seen each other but didnt realise it!! My daughter really loved EDA. Abs exhausted after the audition day but determined as ever that Musical Theatre is her passion and direction for study.
I think the cardio really took it out of them all, as they arent used to doing that.
The trip for us was worth it for experience alone. We will wait patiently for an answer of acceptance or rejection, but eitherway a worthwhile weekend away x
Good luck to your DD and anyone else that was auditioning x