Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by dancemom43 »

My DD got an email about 2 weeks after her audition offering her a recall and it gave songs to choose from etc.. Not sure if the no's get an email ?
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Email for rejection too x Goodluck x
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

jennifer1972 wrote:
Live_thedream wrote:Has anyone heard of or does anyone's child go to Brighton Academy? Whilst DC is aiming for one of the more popular schools he's also looking at others. It's just so difficult to tell whether the risk is worth it.
I haven't heard of this one and I did a lot of research last year when my DD was auditioning. Things to check include contact hours and class size. How many hours of dance classes, singing or acting per week? And most importantly, is there an agent showcase at the end of it? Where do they do this? How many agents attend? How many students get agents when they finish?

Good luck!
Thanks jennifer1972. Do they tend to have this sort of information online? Just wondering where I would find it?
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

lotsolaffs wrote:They offer their own degree and another in association with an accredited college in Scotland. I think it is just fear of the unknown for me,just worried that it might not be widely recognised for future applications.
I too would be interested in hearing about it from a student.
BRICCT offer a Rock School qualification at 16-18 then a degree in association with Sussex University.
Thank you that's really helpful.
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

Last year DS got response from GSA in 3 days that he wasn't successful but that was March time.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Live_thedream wrote:
jennifer1972 wrote:
Live_thedream wrote:Has anyone heard of or does anyone's child go to Brighton Academy? Whilst DC is aiming for one of the more popular schools he's also looking at others. It's just so difficult to tell whether the risk is worth it.
I haven't heard of this one and I did a lot of research last year when my DD was auditioning. Things to check include contact hours and class size. How many hours of dance classes, singing or acting per week? And most importantly, is there an agent showcase at the end of it? Where do they do this? How many agents attend? How many students get agents when they finish?

Good luck!
Thanks jennifer1972. Do they tend to have this sort of information online? Just wondering where I would find it?
We asked all of the questions on the day of the auditions. I wrote them all down and took them with us so I wouldn't forget, as your mind does tend to go a bit blank when you go there! At some places, there was a question and answer session, at others we just asked the students who were showing us around. Some places have an online prospectus with lots of info too. We didm't have a chance to go to any open days but that would be a great way to get a feel of the place before you pay for the audition space.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Or go to Move It,lots of colleges available to chat to and student showcases to watch.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Still waiting to hear from Arden x DD wants that one sooo badly x Just seen that Hammond audition is the same day as Trinitys so we will have to miss that one x So just trinity left so I am hoping and praying for an offer from these two please!!!!
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Marissa wrote:Still waiting to hear from Arden x DD wants that one sooo badly x Just seen that Hammond audition is the same day as Trinitys so we will have to miss that one x So just trinity left so I am hoping and praying for an offer from these two please!!!!
Marissa, I'm sure you will be able to reschedule with one of those auditions. Call the college and explain. If they have other dates then they will just move her. Xxx
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

beanie-bean wrote:
Marissa wrote:Still waiting to hear from Arden x DD wants that one sooo badly x Just seen that Hammond audition is the same day as Trinitys so we will have to miss that one x So just trinity left so I am hoping and praying for an offer from these two please!!!!
Marissa, I'm sure you will be able to reschedule with one of those auditions. Call the college and explain. If they have other dates then they will just move her. Xxx

Thankyou we have emailed Hammond but on their site it only shows the two dates and she can't make either of them x Just praying Arden wants her!!!!
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

I know of Brighton Academy as live just outside. They haven't been going long but charge quite a lot less than other colleges. They have some graduates gone in to professional work. They were very nice when we spoke to them at Move It - small but I enjoyed the showcases they I saw of them. They have some Open Days coming up I think - look on their website of Facebook page as I am sure all of the details are on there.
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

lyndahill wrote:
I know of Brighton Academy as live just outside. They haven't been going long but charge quite a lot less than other colleges. They have some graduates gone in to professional work. They were very nice when we spoke to them at Move It - small but I enjoyed the showcases they I saw of them. They have some Open Days coming up I think - look on their website of Facebook page as I am sure all of the details are on there.
Thank you. Will have a look at their Facebook. I noticed they charge a lot less. They ran auditions at college DS goes to and he has a recall (which btw includes designing your own dance routine!) - so far looks like good feedback but I am also considering likelihood of going into work after completing the course.
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Live_thedream wrote:
lyndahill wrote:
Thank you. Will have a look at their Facebook. I noticed they charge a lot less. They ran auditions at college DS goes to and he has a recall (which btw includes designing your own dance routine!) - so far looks like good feedback but I am also considering likelihood of going into work after completing the course.
DS had two friends go there. I believe that both really enjoyed it and I have heard one sing .. Excellent !To the best of my knowledge neither has had much work in the industry though. I think agents get invited to so many showcases, it just may just be a matter of getting this one on their radar !
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

DD has another offer. Not the course she applied for - she's been offered Dance rather than Musical Theatre which has thrown her into confusion as she thought her strengths lay more in MT than pure dance. They thought otherwise. Feedback was given which was frank & honest. They could have offered Foundation but they said it wouldn't progress her enough given her current dance level.

She's decided to withdraw from the other two places she was going to audition as 1 was a local btec back in& the other although a prestigious name on delving deeper will not offer the contact hours she wants & is used to.

So, funding recalls pending looks like its Chester or Leeds.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

islandofsodor wrote:DD has another offer. Not the course she applied for - she's been offered Dance rather than Musical Theatre which has thrown her into confusion as she thought her strengths lay more in MT than pure dance. They thought otherwise. Feedback was given which was frank & honest. They could have offered Foundation but they said it wouldn't progress her enough given her current dance level.

She's decided to withdraw from the other two places she was going to audition as 1 was a local btec back in& the other although a prestigious name on delving deeper will not offer the contact hours she wants & is used to.

So, funding recalls pending looks like its Chester or Leeds.
Congrats on the offer.