Spotlight

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

lalaland
Nominee

Spotlight

Post by lalaland »

Hi, my DS was on a pencil for a TVC last week. I was under the impression he didn't get it but has been taken off Spotlight. They emailed me directly.

Do agents take kids off spotlight when they are pencilled in? I thought there would be an option to say they are booked out for something instead

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Spotlight

Post by pg »

I'm not quite sure what you are asking? :)

I would have a word with your agent to see whether those on pencil have yet been released. Sometimes the CDs are slow at letting the agents know when a final decision has been made (sometimes, unfortunately, I think they just don't do it) but your agent can either chase it for you, let you know that no final decision has yet been made or tell you that the pencil is "off".

Maybe you have a different system from those I'm familiar with - or perhaps things work differently for children - but I don't really know what you mean by "it has been taken off Spotlight".
lalaland
Nominee

Post by lalaland »

Pg,

You have answered my question, thank you. What I meant was that I had an email from spotlight saying my son has left Spotlight !!!!! I assume this is what happens when a
client is pencilled in and things return to normal once a job is confirmed or not. Having never been here before I was unsure.

Thanks.
bethjaneg
BRIT Award

Post by bethjaneg »

This seems very strange as Spotlight is not involved in the actual casting process once the actual castings happen. It carries on regardless of whether you are working or pencilled on a job as it's a only a casting directory. You can not be booked out on Spotlight. I would speak to your agent.
Augustaray
Nominee

Post by Augustaray »

Hi. That would suggest to me his membership has expired and hasn't been renewed. I would ring the agent on Tuesday and if you're still not clear call Spotlight.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I agree with Augustaray . :)
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

Hi Lalaland,

I found out quite by surprise one day that my ds was no longer on spotlight - our then agent simply hadn't bothered to renew membership or let us know what to do to renew membership.

We weren't the only ones and from what I've heard the agent has since been blacklisted by equity for this and other reasons.

I would echo the others' advice and check with your agent and then Spotlight who are incredibly helpful - they weren't at all surprise when I told them who my agent was and what had happened.
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

We had a similar problem, we changed agents in June 2015. renewal has been due in April but I forgotten when it was due because of some confusion that had occurred the previous year. Spotlight informed the old agency but the old agent didn't pass that on. Spotlight didn't inform the new agency when the details were changed that it had been unpaid (I would have thought that that would have been par for the course) therefore her membership lapsed. DDs page stayed up for about 4 months after the renewal date then suddenly disappeared, that is when I enquired with agent. Agent said it was nothing to do with them! So I contacted Spotlight who after more than two weeks of investigation found out what had happened.
We paid for renewal and had to input all her details, credits etc - which was a nightmare as she has over 70 credits!
Then 6 months later (in April) we got an email from agent saying it was due for renewal, it had to be done within the next 48 hours and to do it directly with Spotlight. I thought that this was probably because of the 'free' months we had the previous year. So I rang Spotlight and paid over the phone. A week later I got an email from Spotlight saying it was not due until November.
Because of the problems we have had over the past 3 years Spotlight have said they will deal directly with me when it is due for renewal (In November I think).
I would suggest to everyone that they contact Spotlight and find out when their renewal date is, and write it in huge letters on your calendar, its not nice having to change it and even less fun having to re-enter all the details!
lalaland
Nominee

Post by lalaland »

Thanks everyone for your very useful advice. It turns
out there was a payment issue!!!! But all sorted out on Tuesday so all good.